[Elder Scrolls Online] Beta

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

[Elder Scrolls Online] Beta

Post by Shrapnel »

Any one else get into the beta?

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en/
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Róka

Re: [Elder Scrolls Online] Beta

Post by Róka »

Yeah, I also played in the past two beta events. Pretty early stuff but let me know how it looks/works now (I don't want to install anymore unless it's worth).
ImageImage
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

Without potentially violating any NDAs, is the gameplay similar to the actual Elder Scrolls games? I remember awhile back when it was first being talked about I remember reading it was literally just going to be MMO gameplay and was immediately disappointed and wanted to murder whatever genius thought that those who wanted a multiplayer Elder Scrolls meant people wanted shitty cool downs and hot key lameness. Instead of having the awesome gameplay of Elder Scrolls with other people...

Edit: Nvm... I decided to not be lazy and actually watch the E3 gameplay trailer. Looks better than it did. I went ahead and signed up for the beta.
LCourage
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LCourage »

I've been invited back this weekend after being in several previous tests. However, I'll probably pass this weekend and play BF4 instead. Being in beta for a year prior to release ruined SWTOR for me. With that thinking I'm playing TESO intermittently and just focusing on bugs when I play.
Tunnel Snakes rule!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I can't bring myself to be truly excited for another MMO game (with the exception of star citizen when that releases) after how disappointed I was from guild wars 2.

so, of course, I signed up to see how it plays if I get in. That said, I'm really not expecting much. Yeah the lore is great, yeah the single player TES games are amazing, but I just don't have high hopes for MMOs anymore. At least this one seems like it will be following a subscription model, so due to my guild wars 2 experience that probably means you'll be able to afford things in game without having to buy gold or grind for weeks on end because 99% of drops were worthless and anything worth spending time on was entirely based off of random numbers, giving no feeling of progression.

it also seems like it will have a more elder scrolls-esque leveling system, which will be nice instead of a hard-edged class based system that you typically find in MMOs
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Róka

Post by Róka »

matsif wrote:I can't bring myself to be truly excited for another MMO game (with the exception of star citizen when that releases) after how disappointed I was from guild wars 2.

so, of course, I signed up to see how it plays if I get in. That said, I'm really not expecting much. Yeah the lore is great, yeah the single player TES games are amazing, but I just don't have high hopes for MMOs anymore. At least this one seems like it will be following a subscription model, so due to my guild wars 2 experience that probably means you'll be able to afford things in game without having to buy gold or grind for weeks on end because 99% of drops were worthless and anything worth spending time on was entirely based off of random numbers, giving no feeling of progression.

it also seems like it will have a more elder scrolls-esque leveling system, which will be nice instead of a hard-edged class based system that you typically find in MMOs
It's not as much as grinding but them replacing grinding with countless hours of just holding W as you walk between quest markers that just talk and talk and talk and you don't actually do anything.
ImageImage
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Róka wrote: It's not as much as grinding but them replacing grinding with countless hours of just holding W as you walk between quest markers that just talk and talk and talk and you don't actually do anything.
see, I don't mind that actually as long as at the end I feel like I had some sort of progression. You could do that in guild wars 2 as well, except you'd have nothing to show for it except a bunch of useless crap that doesn't sell at all. In skyrim and oblivion I would just explore doing random side quests and crap for hours, if I can do that in this game it won't be disappointing. If I run around for hours and have nothing to show for it, then that's an issue.
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

I got an email for a beta pass, but im not all that interested. If anyone would like it, pls tell me
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

got in for something about this weekend, probably will try it on friday for a few minutes.
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

Got in last time but wasnt that into it. will probably play just a lil on friday see if it got any beter
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

Ended up getting a key for this weekend... UNFORTUNATELY, I have two exams next week so instead of trying it out I'm instead going to be buried in the wonderful world of engineering all weekend. Perhaps next time.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Wi1D_K4rD wrote:Ended up getting a key for this weekend... UNFORTUNATELY, I have two exams next week so instead of trying it out I'm instead going to be buried in the wonderful world of engineering all weekend. Perhaps next time.
have fun! I remember how much I loved my engineering exams :P
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

Wi1D_K4rD wrote:Ended up getting a key for this weekend... UNFORTUNATELY, I have two exams next week so instead of trying it out I'm instead going to be buried in the wonderful world of engineering all weekend. Perhaps next time.
Ahaha just finished my last exam his thursday. Good luck with urs next week mate!

''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

just got through the tutorial mission, first impressions:

-combat is clunky. Feels like they tried to mix traditional MMORPG mechanics (skills on numbers, etc) with elder scrolls combat, and it doesn't work well imo, at least in third person. going to run around in first person for a bit, but I don't see myself enjoying it as much as I would in a traditional TES game. Third person view is off-center much of the time and it just feels awkward.

-loading times, my god. Easily 10 minutes to get from end of tutorial into the world. Servers are either really overloaded or not ready for the amount of beta people they gave invites to + returning players, and I'm going with the latter due to previous experience.

more once I play around a bit more.

edit after playing a bit more:

Not going to even bother anymore, just another very generic MMORPG with a different lore set. Combat is clunky, camera views suck, server is really laggy and load times are awful for me, which says the servers themselves are probably not too great. Yes its still beta but for a game supposed to release in like 2 months without some major server support it's gonna be pretty bad at release similar to how bad GW2 was.
Róka

Post by Róka »

matsif wrote:just got through the tutorial mission, first impressions:

-combat is clunky. Feels like they tried to mix traditional MMORPG mechanics (skills on numbers, etc) with elder scrolls combat, and it doesn't work well imo, at least in third person. going to run around in first person for a bit, but I don't see myself enjoying it as much as I would in a traditional TES game. Third person view is off-center much of the time and it just feels awkward.

-loading times, my god. Easily 10 minutes to get from end of tutorial into the world. Servers are either really overloaded or not ready for the amount of beta people they gave invites to + returning players, and I'm going with the latter due to previous experience.

more once I play around a bit more.

edit after playing a bit more:

Not going to even bother anymore, just another very generic MMORPG with a different lore set. Combat is clunky, camera views suck, server is really laggy and load times are awful for me, which says the servers themselves are probably not too great. Yes its still beta but for a game supposed to release in like 2 months without some major server support it's gonna be pretty bad at release similar to how bad GW2 was.
Same impressions I had with the alpha/beta in November and December.
ImageImage