[Elder Scrolls Online] Beta

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Elder Scrolls Online] Beta

Post by CekiHappy »

I played every day of the beta and got to lvl 12 and... i REALLY like the game. Sure there were problems like long loading times when you're moving from areas (keep in mind, area's are huge, like Skyrim huge) and some quests not working, but overall I enjoyed playing the game.

PVE is a major improvement over the combat in Skyrim, which was just spam sword and Thuum, but TESO creates a need for you to get skilled at timing your weapon swings, blocks, and magic if you want to survive. I played as a Dragon Knight (which i later learned is considered OP), and I still had a fairly challenging and fun time in the combat situations.

Smithing and creating things is slightly different from skyrim, but still simple enough (and you cant make OP equipment, because they put a minimum lvl needed for each thing to balance that).

PVP is amazing. With-ought going too into it, its better than battlefield... just kidding (but probably is)

The Quests are AMAZING (compared to skyrim). Don't know how much to say, but they're definitely not copy-paste draugr/bandit killing quests.

I actually went ahead and bought the game :silent:
My biggest issue with it was the price, but someone on Reddit found a coupon for 25% off, and its definitely worth $45 to me.
http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonl ... ?context=3

My second biggest issue is the dungeons, what with the impossibility to do it alone, but that seems to be an MMO thing, and I haven't played an mmo before so ill get used to it.
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

I wish I had actually had time to play this weekend. Ended up giving my key to a friend so that my key wasn't wasted. Currently still waiting on his first impressions of the game.

Hopefully, I can give it a try sometime before it releases so I can decide if buying it is worth my time. I've had one friend tell me it was terrible but his list of reasons why didn't exactly scream terrible to me. Then you've got matsif/roka saying the combat is clunky while ceki says its an improvement. Leaves me with very mixed ideas of what it's actually like to play it first hand. (Mostly why I tend to ignore everyone's opinion before I try it myself anyway.) Most of the "cons" I've heard so far don't necessarily scream "kill with fire" just yet mostly just seem like opinions that the game is just mediocre in their opinion.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Wi1D_K4rD wrote:Most of the "cons" I've heard so far don't necessarily scream "kill with fire" just yet mostly just seem like opinions that the game is just mediocre in their opinion.
that's pretty much exactly how I feel, it's not like it's absolutely awful, it just doesn't do anything special. Combat is actually a lot like guild wars 2 with the dodge rolling and hitting your skills, but it adds in hack and slash and block stuff from skyrim. If you liked GW2's combat a lot, this is actually an improvement in that sense. To me though it felt like one or the other (traditional skill use from other MMOs or traditional TES gameplay) was kinda pasted on. If it was all one thing or all the other the game would be better, it just feels fake and clunky instead of fluid and interesting.

to me it just felt completely mediocre, nothing really stood out as that good in the game, it all felt very generic MMORPG with a sprinkling of skyrim on top of it. As someone who played LOTRO, GW, GW2, and a few other MMOs in my time, the game is just a complete rehash of the same old system; another WoW clone with some slight alterations to combat, lore and graphics. Nothing in there is innovative or honestly that interesting, and it definitely wasn't fluid or fun enough to keep my interest longer than about 2 hours.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

matsif wrote:snipity snip
Seems a fair assessment. I do find it strange that they decided to go with a mix of trad MMO and Elder Scrolls. I could probably safely say that the majority of Elder Scrolls players who wanted a multiplayer Elder Scrolls wanted an Elder Scrolls Game with other people. I still feel like that would have printed them money instead of trying to fuse systems and introduce non elder scrolls style gameplay into elder scrolls.

I still looking forward to trying it myself so I can get first hand experience. If it is as mediocre as many I've heard find it not sure I'd want to pay the monthly subscription but if it is that mediocre I'm sure it will default to a f2p model in no time. Which would be a plus.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Wi1D_K4rD wrote:I still looking forward to trying it myself so I can get first hand experience. If it is as mediocre as many I've heard find it not sure I'd want to pay the monthly subscription but if it is that mediocre I'm sure it will default to a f2p model in no time. Which would be a plus.
probably the best way to think about it. I tried to go into it with a level head but I think I still carry a lot of misgivings after how disappointed I was with GW2 having loved GW1 so much. The monthly sub and microtransactions which are supposed to be there on top of the monthly sub are also turning me away a bit, if it was just F2P/B2P I might give it more of a shot, but after this past weekend and with the current setup I can't bring myself to even think about playing in another beta weekend, much less actually buying the game.
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Oh i see, so the main reason I like it is because iv never played another mmo and have nothing to compare it to, cept skeerim. Well, from what iv heard about WoW, ill probably like the game for a long time. (atleast until DarkSouls 2 comes out. WOOOO DARKSOULS 2 HYPE!)

Also, that thing about micro transactions been semi-debunked by the developers, they are selling things for real money but the devs said its things like renames or whatever, not advantages. I found the exact quote "But it's not part of the core game," he said. "Anything in the core game is included in the subscription price."

And now for the best reason you should play the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTCnCdKAgxQ
Yaargh!

Post by Yaargh! »

I didn't like the fact that when I played in the previous weekend there was really no "MMO" feel to it. It felt more like a single player game (a not very good one at that) where people just happened to be around you.

Partying with someone offers little advantages, the combat is boring and unrefined. Disappointing since the lore side of it had great potential.
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Yaargh! wrote:the combat is boring and unrefined.
I mean, i hear that a lot, but how far did you get into it?
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

ooh, and AngryJoe posted a video with his PVP gameplay, it shows everything that I loved about it <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I82pz60iGL0
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Beta weekend coming up! from 2/28 to 3/2, they are hosting another beta, and I have good news and good news.
  • NO NDA, you'll be getting a hell of a lot of info from people/reviewers
  • TONS of beta keys being released, so if you have even the slightest interest, you too can participate http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/the- ... free-24345
  • Everyone who is already in the beta (me/damonot) gets extra keys to give out to friends, so if all the above keys run out, you can still participate if interested
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

Keys! I have been waiting for this game since the announcement. I can finally leave world of warcraft for good this time :lol:
the end is really fµcking nigh
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

Oh god Tea, now that I see your forum signature, you should begin downloading the client ASAP. It's quite large, probably as big as Skyrim.

Update on keys, here is a reddit thread that's posting info to more keysites (in case the one i posted runs out)
http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonl ... megathead/
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Got a friend code if anyone wants it pm me and I'll send it as soon as I can
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25000 keys left

Post by CekiHappy »

So, mmorpg.com got 25,000 more keys to give out, so if some fool hasnt picked it up already, please do!
http://www.mmorpg.com/giveaways.cfm/off ... eaway.html
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

aaaand, here's how the beta ended from my perspective. http://imgur.com/a/yMkOp#0