[Rust] The Horde Sleeps

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Rust] Friends and Enemies.

Post by haruky »

SeraphiM0352 wrote:BREAKING NEWS:

Some one just laid a large metal foundation between us and our neighbors! we must push out the invaders!
It's our neighbors! They said that they planned on building a metal base there. I should have mentioned that..
Image[/url]
Cheesy
Executive
Executive

Re: [Rust]

Post by Cheesy »

Several of us decided tonight that we'd like to embark on a new mission: to build a soup kitchen!

Well, really more of a town. Rust is a game of houses, where small bands get together to build forts and keep out enemy raiders. There's no economy, no government, just a big anarchic mess. And that's pretty fun -- but it would be a pretty neat challenge to make something more in the game.

So we want to build a walled city that we can police. Nakeds could come in side to get some free food and starter tools. Players could meet in town to trade, and the game could develop a real economy. To make this work, we'd be the police and military of this little state, protecting its borders and upholding the law inside.

Mostly we want to do this because it would be fun. But there are some side benefits too:
- Taxes and fees! We can charge visitors to trade within our borders.
- An army of hobos! New players will get their start in our little city, before branching out to make it outside. That will give us a network of allies and informants around rustworld.
- The ultimate douchebag detector. Anybody who comes to raid our soup kitchen is a guaranteed asshole in range of our guns

So how do we build it? Well, here's one idea:

We'd put a square of wooden foundations all around the church (Stalingrad) near our current base, then put wooden walls on top with gates on each side of the road. Eventually this could be multiple layers with gatehouses but we'll start simple. The church itself could be filled with food and simple tools for newbies, and we'd just unlock the door whenever we're around to police it.

To defend it all, we'd build a megafort inside. This would be a really big building, potentially lofted over the road or just big and tall on one side. We'd build up windows and barricades and get some bolt actions to keep the peace from above. Eventually, this would become our new forward base and with it we'd control passage through the entire valley.

I know not everyone is thrilled about using our resources for this, so what we're going to do is start gathering resources (mostly wood and metal) to start building up this new base. Hop online and start mining if you can help!

And buy the damn game if you've been lurking on this thread wondering whether to pull the trigger 8)
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Rust] Feed the homeless and tax the traders!

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

logged on and the admin dropped two airdrops close to base. got the ammo/c4 out of the first drop. the second crate was stuck on a mountain. was able to get metal out of the second drop. someone else got to the ammo before me.

Also it looks like Honeybe/rage/hadrian's metal house got raided. checked it out when only 7 people were one. there are some holes in there base with lots of exposed crates. i threw out whatever was left in them just to grief them. there wasnt anything good. thinking about taking some c4 and blowing out the upper levels. i might go scout next valley too
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

SeraphiM0352 wrote:logged on and the admin dropped two airdrops close to base. got the ammo/c4 out of the first drop. the second crate was stuck on a mountain. was able to get metal out of the second drop. someone else got to the ammo before me.

Also it looks like Honeybe/rage/hadrian's metal house got raided. checked it out when only 7 people were one. there are some holes in there base with lots of exposed crates. i threw out whatever was left in them just to grief them. there wasnt anything good. thinking about taking some c4 and blowing out the upper levels. i might go scout next valley too
Nice! It sounds like good news on both parts!

Regarding our homeless project, I can't wait.

I also want to create some sort of "hotel" where people can stay for the night or stay in there for multiple nights while they sort of learn the game. I think this project would create a lot of goodwill for us and it would eventually lead to the creation of a homeless network.

I'd love for people to take up certain roles for our new town.

I think we'd need people who are:

Town Mayor/Public Relations
Security Guards
Builders
Marketing

I was also thinking of setting up mini-games for our townspeople! Like Mini-Arenas!
One idea I had before I went to bed was setting up a small 1x1. And in this small 1x1, we send all of our homeless people into the room. BUT! We give one of those homeless guys a gun (Shotgun or MP5). And the idea is that the homeless try to figure out who has the gun. After a minute, if they don't figure it out, the gunman opens fire. The fun part is, the door is locked behind them! They have sometime to try and take him out with a rock or something.

It's stupid, but I got giddy thinking about it last night... I got a few more ideas for these "mini-games" as well.

I'd love to flesh this out more, but I've got to leave soon. I'm looking forward to this, guys! Let's do it!
Image[/url]
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

I like those ideas haruky. WE could also open the hotel for those seeking refuge from raiders except we charge them.

On a different note.

Hitman, Wild Kard, and myself raided the metal base in next valley. hitman found a way to jump their wall and we saw they didnt have many interal doors. we used the rest of the c4 but walked off with some kevlar, a few weapons, and tons of resources. I think hitman said he had close to 2k metal frags. anything that we couldnt carry we threw on the ground. to finish up we destroyed the sleeping bags we found, put our own doors on (2), and placed their own spike walls around the other doors. we also used some wood shelters to block off 2 gates. Its not much but it will grief them and it will leave access for others to come and raid.

Overall i think it was very successful!
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

SeraphiM0352 wrote:I like those ideas haruky. WE could also open the hotel for those seeking refuge from raiders except we charge them.

On a different note.

Hitman, Wild Kard, and myself raided the metal base in next valley. hitman found a way to jump their wall and we saw they didnt have many interal doors. we used the rest of the c4 but walked off with some kevlar, a few weapons, and tons of resources. I think hitman said he had close to 2k metal frags. anything that we couldnt carry we threw on the ground. to finish up we destroyed the sleeping bags we found, put our own doors on (2), and placed their own spike walls around the other doors. we also used some wood shelters to block off 2 gates. Its not much but it will grief them and it will leave access for others to come and raid.

Holy Crap! I don't believe it! You guys are amazing. I'm at work and now I'm all jittery!

Awesome work, you three!

May I make a suggestion? Try to go back and "unlock" the doors you placed. They may not realize that those doors are "unlocked" and keep stockpiling goodies. When they go to sleep, we don't need any c4 and we can walk right in! But if they're smart, they'll realize that trick right away so it might not be worth the risk of going back.

Feel free to use your best judgment on this!

Again, AWESOME work guys!
Image[/url]
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

haruky wrote:
SeraphiM0352 wrote:I like those ideas haruky. WE could also open the hotel for those seeking refuge from raiders except we charge them.

On a different note.

Holy Crap! I don't believe it! You guys are amazing. I'm at work and now I'm all jittery!

Awesome work, you three!

May I make a suggestion? Try to go back and "unlock" the doors you placed. They may not realize that those doors are "unlocked" and keep stockpiling goodies. When they go to sleep, we don't need any c4 and we can walk right in! But if they're smart, they'll realize that trick right away so it might not be worth the risk of going back.

Feel free to use your best judgment on this!

Again, AWESOME work guys!
we thought about it but after some thinking we decided we just wanted to frak with these guys. just to let them know they arent safe. we also figured that they are going to raise the height of the wall which will make it harder. they built the wall really well. its a triple wall that prevents you from building stairs if you fall down. they are also trying to fill it with spikes if you do fall. we will have to see their reaction/response.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

We did it!

Our homeless shelter is coming to life!

We got a few people, maybe 5-8, to join our town. It took about 2-3 hours to get the base operational, but we did it. We set up the huge walled off area and made rooms for all the new occupants. So far, so good.

We had a few hiccups where we would get killed on our recruiting runs, but it ended up alright.

We started to advertise it as Rome. We brought people in and told them to stay at Rome, where we'd provide food, shelter, protection, and friendship. It started off slowly, but we finally have a decently sized community.

Towards the end of the night, as everyone started signing off. We got hit. Hard. They came in and said "ROME SHALL BURN TO THE GROUND" We did our best to hold our own, but the siege was too much and we eventually succumbed. Our neighbors lent a helping hand, but ultimately, we got killed off. I wish we had some more bodies to help us out in this situation, but unfortunately, that didn't happen.

The names are:

X-Plicit: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Drinkypoo/
- Friendlist: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Drinkypoo/friends/
RaguuMaster
Swedish Tomato
Trimack
Neon
Cow
Pharaoh: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7656 ... 0/friends/
Cookie

We need to raid these guys. Find out where they live and do something about it. This is our new task. For this next week, we need everybody to get their act together and work as a team. We need to do some chores. Gather as much resources as we can. Pump out an inconceivable amount of C4 and raid the hell out of their base.

Allmadeup and Frijoles think they know where their base is. I've requested them to provide screenshots. Once we figure this out, we need to destroy them. We now have a goal, gentlemen.

Let's do this.

Also. I guess as a side note regarding our discussion on metal base vs wood base. Yes. A well thought out metal base would have been good enough to repel the attacks today. Absolutely no one is going to deny that. But, honestly, todays attack was quite intense and a lot of fun. We may have lost a few things, but it wasn't that big of a loss.

At least now, we have a target. A flaming, burning target we should strive to destroy.

According to allmadeup and frijoles, they said that their base is near the tanks. That's all I heard so far. I am hoping they provide more details later tomorrow.

If my playstyle is really disagreeable for most of the group. Please tell me! I know I play like a naive 11 year old, and I'm sure that gets irritating to some folks here. I'd be more than willing to take a quieter role if that would give the group a higher chance at having fun.

anyway. I'm looking forward to the next few days. I hope we can mess these guys up somehow! Lets go team!
Last edited by haruky on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/url]
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Re: [Rust] Rome rose in a day... and fell in a day.

Post by Gwynzer »

bigdcowboys22
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by bigdcowboys22 »

The roman legion is ready to make retribution and bring a swift defeat to the enemies of the republic, sir!
Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.

Leadership is getting someone to do what they don't want to do, to achieve what they want to achieve.
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

Gwynzer wrote:
i didnt know you can twerk in rust...

I cant believe i missed out on all the fun though.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

SeraphiM0352 wrote:
Gwynzer wrote:
i didnt know you can twerk in rust...

I cant believe i missed out on all the fun though.
Yeah, it was a bit of a bummer that more people weren't on. We definitely could've taken them on, had we had the numbers.

I learned a few things though.

1.) If you can't get a clear shot from a guard tower, don't try and crouch through the windows. 90% of the time, you'll get killed.
2.) Guard towers should have windows at the bottom so you can shoot the people that are trying to hide from your plane of view.
3.) When doing a big raid, make sure to bring sleeping bags and set them up all around the raiding location. Allows you to spawn and come back as soon as you die. (Bring multiple bags and place them all around!)
4.) If you think you're going to die, don't open ANY doors thinking you'll be able to close it behind you. Just don't.
5.) If you get a particularly good loot, take it back to the mainbase rather than sticking around to try and fight. If you have that much loot and we make it back to home base, we've already won the battle. There's no need to get yourself killed and lose it all. (Which.. .is what I did.. :oops: )

The one thing that's really important, in my opinion, is try to not taunt or call out the people raiding. I know that this is contrary to what a lot of people enjoy, but I think it's counter productive.

1.) It lets them know that we are super hostile towards them.
- Which in the end, let's them know that we are probably going to raid them.
2.) If we act friendly, it gives them a false sense of security. They will probably think they're safe from our hoard. They're not.
3.) Killing them with kindness would usually get them to back off a little more, as opposed to annoying them.
- They won't be actively seeking out our members and such.

This morning, I got on for about 10 minutes and saw that Cookie was online. I talked to them about last night. Jokingly/humorously mentioned that "Rome was built in a day and fell in a day... ALL BECAUSE OF YOU GUYS!" and we started talking. I told them that they were really good shots and that last night was an intense firefight. He agreed, told us that we were really good too and thanked us for the intense battle.

Now, for all he knows, it sounds like I'm on good terms with him when I'm really not. This might have zero effect on our raid... but it's still a lot better than actively taunting them and letting them know we are hostile. (At least, this is my opinion of it.) If you guys think differently, please say so.

Anyway, whatever the case, I think I found the tower that allmadeup was talking about. It's a three-four story building across from Two Tanks. there is one metal door to the home that's surrounded by 2 spikewalls. This may be the house of the Cookie. I've requested more information from PTC and I'm hoping to be able to confirm it tonight.

We've got a common enemy to go after. Let's get our act together and reclaim our dignity!!!

The next few things we really have to do is...:

1.) Amass resources. We no longer have wood. It seems that all of it was spent on our Roman home. I know some people think it was a bad idea, but I think the majority of us had a lot of fun with it. So, I say resources well spent. Plus, they didn't take it over. All of our doors are still ours. (Or at least it seems so. Damonott may need to check to make sure they're not "unlocked")
- We need resources. We need C4. If anybody gets on Rust today, I'd really really really appreciate it if you just spent sometime gathering wood, metal and sulfur. I know our group would really be thankful for that. It's a terrible chore, but just a necessary component of the game. Especially considering we now have a huge target to go after.
2.) Scout them out. We need to make sure we know where their base is. It's still unconfirmed whether or not the Two Tanks base is theirs. In my opinion, it seems a little small to be theirs, but who knows. Maybe it is.
- When scouting, don't ask where they live via global chat. I think I'd like for surprise to be on our side. If you disagree with this, feel free to post about it as I'd like to know what you think.
3.) Don't be reckless. Let's try to stay as incognito as possible. No mention of Cookie and his crew at all. We should be invisible to them for the next few days. And even after the raid, don't take credit. Leave it be. No need to whip our dicks out and tell the world "WE RAIDED COOKIE. COME RAID US AND TAKE OURS AND HIS STUFF!" But again, if you disagree with this as well, please post. I'd rather have a good discussion on things than have people upset at not taking certain actions!

Anyway, this post turned out way longer than I intended it to be.

I hope we do some good work in the next few days guys. We can do it!
Image[/url]
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

i understand what your saying but since i wasnt on the raid i feel the need to just kill any of these guys on site. they probably wont associate me with you.

also what happened to the C4 i made yesterday. made like 8 charges. i have no problem gathering resources, its like my thing but i just want a little say in how it gets used/ not getting yelled at for using what i gathered.

stealth retribution is best retribution
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

SeraphiM0352 wrote:i understand what your saying but since i wasnt on the raid i feel the need to just kill any of these guys on site. they probably wont associate me with you.

also what happened to the C4 i made yesterday. made like 8 charges. i have no problem gathering resources, its like my thing but i just want a little say in how it gets used/ not getting yelled at for using what i gathered.

stealth retribution is best retribution
Oh, that's totally fine. KOSing them is totally fine. Because I'm sure they'll do the same to us. I don't think KOSing gives them the impression that we are planning this big raid. So feel free to KOS them as much as you want. I'd do the same. :twisted:

Regarding the C4, I have no idea. As in, I don't know if it's there or not. I know no one that was on last night used any of it. So for all I know, it's still there. I just think we'll need more b/c that group is relatively large. I know where the stairs are in their house. (It sticks out of the back, you'll see it). So if anybody wants to raid that tower, feel free to do so. Their stairs are stacked on top of each other as well. Should be able to easily know which walls to blow through.

If you think you can raid that tower, be our guest! I don't think many of em are gonna be online when it's primetime for you Euros. Make sure to check their profiles to see if they're online or not so you get a sense of what you're facing!
Image[/url]
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

Part of me really wishes I had still been on to help against the Raid... I knew it was going to happen. A game like Rust always has groups that feel like they just have to ruin a good thing or they aren't having fun. Just didn't think they'd organize it that night.

I'd be willing to bet the "peasants" though will probably still remember our hospitality and be willing to help us bring retribution as well as rebuild and make Rome stronger. They certainly seemed a good natured lot.

If we do continue to support the glorious and prosperous republic (and imo we should just to show those that willingly came to join us we aren't deterred by enemies of the republic) we definitely need to be more subtle in our recruiting unless we want to bring another attack down on us.

I'll be on off and on again today gathering resources again. I honestly don't mind resource gathering I find it strangely addicting. Honestly, the only game I've ever played where tasks that when described sound utterly mundane and boring don't seem to bore me while I'm actually doing it. Hell, my standing sentry standing in one spot for such a long time, tell me to do that in any other game and I'd prolly get antsy and quit and do something else. This game though... IDK it's weird.