Renegade X

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Renegade X

Post by Necromancer »

Gwynzer Edit: Most Recent Download Link Installer: http://vm.blackintel.org:6099/RenegadeX-OpenBeta-2a.exe

-----

Free FPS with up to 64 players, vehicles, air vehicles and economy system build on the Unreal 3 engine.
Releases as open beta on the 26th.
http://www.renegade-x.com

phpBB [video]

Its a multiplayer remake of C&C Renegade.
What is Renegade X?

Renegade X is a free Tactical Shooter that aims to brings the Command and Conquer FPS experience to the Unreal Engine 3. Players will be able to join up to 64-players and fight for two unique teams - the Global Defense Initiative (GDI), a UN international military force committed to world order and peacekeeping, and the Brotherhood of Nod, a messianic international terrorist network that aims to push humanity into the next stage of human evolution.

Originally set to be remake of Westwood Studios' "Comamnd and Conquer: Renegade", Renegade X has evolved into a spiritual successor to the 2002 classic. Renegade X recreates and modernizes the game's unmatched multiplayer mode.

The objective of the game is to destroy your enemy's base while protecting your own. Players will be able to manage their own economies, choose from over 30 weapons, 15 vehicles, and call in nuclear strikes, Ion Cannons, and airstrikes, and much more. Each team will have a base of operations that composes of several key structures. Each structure has its own purpose.

We believe that this gamemode - "Command & Conquer Mode" - can potentially revolutionize the FPS genre. It is the gem that went unnoticed for many years. Now is the time to uncover it.

The Renegade X multiplayer beta will be released on February 26th, 2014. The 1-2 hour singleplayer demo "Renegade X: Black Dawn" was released in 2012.

It's free. Seriously.

The Open Beta will be available for free on February 26th. Not free-to-play, not pay-to-win, just straight-up free. This is a non-monetized game. No ads, no for-money expansion packs. Free. Like, actually free. How much clearer can we be? It's FREE!!!!!
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Re: Renegade X

Post by Gwynzer »

It's pretty good. It's lost a little bit of the charm of the original, but it's got a few more mechanics and they've added some cool new stuff. C&C mode certainly had the pontential to revoutionise FPS, I've never experienced anything close to it in other games. Brilliant. IF you have a closed beta pass already, do me a favour and join the BlackIntel server. We're the best :)
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

heres a vid of a 20v20.
phpBB [video]

later he starts answering questions about the game and the difference between it and Renegade.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

woow this looks really good. will give it a shot for sure!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Open beta available for download
http://renegade-x.com/download
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

game is up, bunch of servers although there is an offline mode against bots if you don't want to play with others quite yet until you learn some of the mechanics.

WALL OF TEXT INBOUND! But I'll be nice and wrap it up with spoiler tags.

General run-down for those of you who never played renegade:

teams:
Spoiler: show
-Based in C&C Tiberium universe. For those who don't know about the lore, there are 2 teams, the Global Defense Initiative (GDI for short), and the Brotherhood of Nod (NOD for short). Each team has unique mechanics, weapons, vehicles, buildings, and such, which I'll go into detail below. GDI is all about brute force with their vehicles and unique infantry, while NOD is more about stealth, speed, and ambush, but they balance nicely.
buildings:
-Each team has a base with destructable buildings. The game ends when either one team's base gets destroyed or the time limit runs out. Buildings are a Barracks(GDI)/Hand of Nod(NOD), a power plant, a war factory(GDI)/airstrip(NOD), and a tiberium refinery. Depending on the map chosen, there may also be defensive structures, including a manned gun and missile turret, an automated cannon turret, and a unique tower defensive structure (GDI Advanced Guard Tower/NOD Obelisk of Light), all of which will shred most things getting close to them, especially the unique towers. The war factory/airstrip allows you to get vehicles, the barracks/hand of nod allow you get the specialty character classes and unique items.

-Each building has multiple buy consoles where you can buy your characters/weapons/items, resupply your armor/health/ammo, etc. Each building also has a master control console that you can put C4 on and damage the building or use the repair gun on to repair the building.

-New to RenX is a tech building, the tiberium silo. Taking this gives you extra resources and also allows you to buy tiberium weapons, which are the flechette gun (essentially an SMG but it's an upgrade over the basic weapons) and the tiberium auto rifle, which is sort of like an auto grenade launcher as it has a shot arc. Both do damage over time to infantry and replace your pistol. You capture the tech building by using an Engineer/Technician/Hotwire's repair gun on the control terminal.
game mode/mechanics:
-The game mode works by your tiberium harvester gathering vehicle gathering the mineral tiberium and unloading in the refinery. You also get a passive bit of cash and cash for kills and repairs and such. The harvester can be destroyed, but a new one gets made pretty quickly from what I've seen assuming the refinery is up. You use the cash to buy specialty infantry classes and items along with vehicles. Also, all primary weapons can damage vehicles, with some being better than others, and everyone has some C4 to attack buildings with.

-Maps have crates scattered around that you can only pick up as infantry. Crates can give you any number of things, including new kits, vehicles, chem suits to walk in tiberium safely, credits, ammo/health refills, or it will just launch an instant nuke/ion cannon on you. Random chance is random.

-You will spawn in in third person view. Hit 'F' by default to go to first person.

-Don't walk into the tiberium fields (neon green) as infantry, it will hurt you and kill you.
infantry:
-Each team has 5 free infantry classes you can always use. 4 of them are standard to each team, the rifleman (assault rifle), marksman (DMR with ACOG), the engineer (repair gun), and the shotgunner (self-explanatory). GDI also gets a grenadier, while NOD gets a flamethrower. You can buy a carbine rifle or a heavy pistol to replace your current pistol in the weapons screen, with the carbine just being essentially an auto starter pistol and the heavy pistol lighting people on fire and doing damage over time to infantry and more damage per shot. Each team also has 10 specialty infantry "characters" you can buy with cash, but you can't buy them if you lose your barracks building.

Quick character rundown:
-officer with minigun
-rocket trooper
-mendoza/mobius with what amounts to an electrical flamethrower
-Havoc/Sakura with heavy sniper rifle
-Black Hand Sniper and Deadeye with a better than DMR but worse than Sakura/Havoc sniper
-Hotwire/Technician which have upgraded repair guns
-Sydney/Raveshaw with either a personal Ion cannon or rail gun, which play similarly
-Patch/Black Hand Laser Chaingunner, which amount to heavy riflemen with vastly better weapons
-McFarland(GDI)/Chem Trooper(NOD), which are better versions of the grenadier/flamethrower respectively, although McFarland has something more similar to a frag round shotgun. Chem trooper is a direct upgrade of the flamethrower, no difference other than green stuff instead of flames and is stronger.
-Gunner(GDI)/Stealth Black Hand(NOD), which are unique in that they kinda showcase the focus of each team. SBH has a laser assault rifle (burst fire) and stealths when not firing, Gunner is a heavy rocket trooper.

-Each team has some items that you can use, a team unique superweapon and an air strike. The air strike uses binoculars to laser a target area and the air strike occurs, and is good against units but relatively weak against structures. The superweapon is a beacon you place and have to defend until the superweapon goes off, and it will reap untold destruction on the target. Haven't seen NOD's nuke yet, but the Ion cannon is pretty crazy.
vehicles:
-Vehicles showcase the team strengths. GDI vehicles are generally better armored, but NOD vehicles generally are faster and have more unique properties. Will do a quick break down by teams below. Both teams have a transport chopper which I believe are copy/pastes of each other, but is currently bugged for GDI to spawn an orca (at least in single player). All vehicles have unlimited ammo but do have to reload after 1/a few shots, with the exception of the flame tank. All vehicles start in third person, with the first person views on some vehicles being pretty crappy.

Common:
-While it's bugged for GDI currently, I'm pretty sure the transport choppers are the same for both teams. holds 2 gunners (one on each side), a pilot, and

GDI Vehicles:
-Humvee is standard humvee, nothing special here. Quick, light armor, gun is good against most of the lighter infantry
-APC is just a slower, more armored humvee.
-MRLS is the long range anti-structure and vehicle unit. Relatively slow and weakly armored. Can pack quite a punch though.
-Medium tank is a typical tank, pretty fast reloading cannon, slower but better armored than it's NOD counterpart
-Mammoth tank is, to put it lightly, a beast. Tons of HP, fairly slow but double cannons and rockets on top of that. Can shred basically anything and quickly, don't get focused by one.
-Orca is basically a weak attack chopper, 2 missiles and a low ammo per mag machine gun, and it dies really easily (300 hp). Also nearly impossible to fly in first person.

NOD Vehicles:
-Buggy is the counterpart to the Humvee. Faster but less armor and I believe holds less people.
-APC is pretty much a copy/paste of the GDI counterpart
-Mobile artillery is counter to the MRLS. It's faster, reloads really fast and can pump out tons of damage, but dies quickly if you're not careful
-Light tank is similar to the medium tank, but is faster and has less armor, along with a smaller gun
-Flame tank can take a ton of hits for a NOD unit, but because it has flamethrowers it's range is small. Good against pretty much anything though
-Stealth Tank can stealth when not being hit/firing, and uses 2 missiles to attack. Great in ambush, but not good for frontal pushes as it's relatively weak and you'll get focused if something sees you.
-Apache has a few more HP than the orca and has a stronger cannon, but fires 6 weaker missiles instead of 2 stronger missiles like the orca. still fairly fragile compared to armor choices.
should just about cover it for now.
Last edited by matsif on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

made some updates to the vehicles section for the air vehicles now that I've had a chance to play with them a bit.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

I find it requires way too many bullets to kill infantry, even for arcadish game.
Also infatry can pretty easily take down armor because the splash damage of armor is so small.

The choppers health vs range is also way too small.
The missiles/bullets get blown up mid-air if "too far" but getting close to hit and youre dead, especially since its so f*ing slow too.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Very fun and interesting.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

another thing to note is that the game does list you in steam as playing the "Unreal Development Kit," so keep an eye out on steam for that if you wanna join up.
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Hey all. I've got a server up that I'd appreciate if you would play on. We've got some custom stuff we're working on to make it server a bit more unique like our original renegade server was. It's called BlackIntel Renegade Server or something like that. Well do an event next Saturday depending on if anything is happening campaign wise.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

I am in Greece atm, but when I get back I will def pwn your noob asses in this game :lol:
Last edited by undrt0w on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Liek I did once we got to a map I was familiar with.

For me the wierdest part of RenX is what they've done with most of the vehicles. In the original there were few ammo left in burst counters and no "reload periods". In RenX all of the Machine guns on the Fast Vehicles, APCs and Orca's Apaches have a clip size and have to reload. That's weird! Using an APC or Humvee turret is how I used to scan for Stealth Black Hands, but now they are free to move while I am reloading!
cairdazar
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cairdazar »

We had a computer lab with 16 places for a networking course when this game was released, so many hours spent studying k:

Have they fix the advanced engineer + apc rush from the original?
I remember most rounds was all but over once a tower went down.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Black Intel will be attempting to have an event tomorrow at SBT.

It's on Beta 2 now: http://renegade-x.com/download.php
you have to uninstall the old version for it to work