War Thunder GROUND FORCES Open Beta!

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

Hgx

War Thunder GROUND FORCES Open Beta!

Post by Hgx »

Are you a fan of tanks as I am?
Did you enjoy World of Tanks? Are you tired of it?

THEN WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?

War Thunder Ground Forces just got into open beta and it's FREE TO PLAY for everyone.

To avoid further confusions, by downloading War Thunder you get to play with both, tanks OR planes.
In your "garage/hangar" you can either select a tank or a plane and then go for Air Battles or Tank Battles.

Just go to Steam and download dat shiet.

You can register (yes, even from steam you need to make an account) here using this link:

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r ... e_15802790

Which will give you some decent amount of in-game currency.

As said before, game is still in beta state but it already has a good amount of variety on tanks for both USSR and GER side with customization, research system and more.

Game is lots of fun, tanks look AWESOME and so far I've been having a blast!

phpBB [video]

Edit: added trailer
Last edited by Hgx on Mon May 19, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: War Thunder GROUND FORCES Open Beta!

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

is this a separate download from the war thunder airgame?
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

SeraphiM0352 wrote:is this a separate download from the war thunder airgame?
Nop. Once you download War Thunder you get to choose both "game modes".

You select your nation and in there your tanks and planes in reserve, then where it says "To Battle!" it gives you the option to either fight as plane or as tank.
Rellik_pt

Post by Rellik_pt »

so is this planes and tanks in the same battle or different modes for each vehicle? also is this better or like the crappy world of tanks?
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Rellik_pt wrote:so is this planes and tanks in the same battle or different modes for each vehicle? also is this better or like the crappy world of tanks?
I've seen both in same games and from both perspectives, but I haven't seen a plane fighting a tank or viceversa.
For example, I've been playing tanks almost all the time and never seen a plane getting in the middle of the fight like it could happen in Battlefield.

But I've played as a plane and one of the objectives was to destroy ground vehicles, now if those were players or just NPCs, that I don't know.
King6moh
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by King6moh »

The way I understood it (for now anyways) is that the original War Thunder game you play against NPC tanks and player planes. In the Ground Forces, you play against player tanks and NPC planes. I do believe that later on in the Beta both will be combined.

Also, I think I heard that there will be a Navy version too with the same format.
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

Tanks vs planes was a thing in closed beta, but as far as I know, it's not implemented in the open one yet. I'm guessing they're still balancing stuff, but it shouldn't be too long. I've allready played quite a lot of plane battles, but haven't picked up the game in a while, so I haven't tried tanks yet.

As for how it looks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befeMsvJtWE

I've unlocked around 100 planes without ever spending money on the game, but my major gripe as a long time player are the matchmaking in specific machines and overall slow progression in the higher tiers (even if you spend money). Nothing that should keep you from trying it, in any case.

Overall, this is still a really good game, even on the low tiers (flying russian tier 1 planes is still one of my favorite things to do), so I would definitely recommend you give it a shot.
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

LoRdG0nZo wrote:Tanks vs planes was a thing in closed beta, but as far as I know, it's not implemented in the open one yet. I'm guessing they're still balancing stuff, but it shouldn't be too long. I've allready played quite a lot of plane battles, but haven't picked up the game in a while, so I haven't tried tanks yet.

As for how it looks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befeMsvJtWE

I've unlocked around 100 planes without ever spending money on the game, but my major gripe as a long time player are the matchmaking in specific machines and overall slow progression in the higher tiers (even if you spend money). Nothing that should keep you from trying it, in any case.

Overall, this is still a really good game, even on the low tiers (flying russian tier 1 planes is still one of my favorite things to do), so I would definitely recommend you give it a shot.

Russian planes OP yo!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

is it essentially the same thing as world of tanks at the end of the day? so just a grindfest through different tanks and similar gameplay? cause I don't really have the time or energy to put into that sort of thing anymore.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

matsif wrote:is it essentially the same thing as world of tanks at the end of the day? so just a grindfest through different tanks and similar gameplay? cause I don't really have the time or energy to put into that sort of thing anymore.
It's still a free to play tank game, so it is essentially the same. I think the thing that will make a real difference in gameplay is the inclusion of planes into tank battles, but that's not in the game yet.

I'd say give it an hour to see if you like it, by that time you should have unlocked a second tank and see what the game is all about.

And for everyone who's having the same problems as I did in the beginning: If you're looking to set your buttons to select ammo types, they're under miscellaneous, not tank controls.