Star Wars: Battlefront

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

MONGO_abaday
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Star Wars: Battlefront

Post by MONGO_abaday »

phpBB [video]

If you haven't seen the trailer on youtube already here it is guys.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

seamlessly swap between 1st and 3rd person views
a ray of optimism that it isn't just a BF4 clone with new models?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

i just watched the trailer... 8O

...i'm speechless...
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

So it's going to be pretty. I think we already knew that.
I'll keep my hopes low until we get some indication that they're not going to release another game with crap hit detection, crap mechanics and crap maps.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
cancel_man
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cancel_man »

Hate to be that guy, but there was zero gameplay in that teaser. It coulda been a promo for any number of the Star Wars animated series. No huds, no info, no first person. Just a lot of generic action shots of things that might make it into the game.

That said- it was all original trilogy stuff (Hoth & Endor, soldiers & vehicles from original trilogy) which has me super excited.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

read a few articles from around the interwebz:
1. only 4 planets at launch: Hoth, Endor, Tatooine, and the new planet Sullust. i.e. likely only 8 maps at release.
2. only 40 player max online multiplayer for all systems
3. no multiplayer AI
4. some silly mechanic to allow you to spawn as a "hero or villain" such as Darth Vader or Boba Fett
5. no content from episodes 1-3
6. they refuse to touch space fighting at this time
7. free "setting" (2 maps) releasing like 2 weeks after game release (pre order to get it a week early guiz!), or basically day 1 DLC
8. they aren't releasing the gameplay footage they showed the news people. so we're stuck with this pre-rendered trailer.

back to being hesitant and less optimistic.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

jackfrags *talks* a bit about the gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ege4tPDSNoQ [boring....]

they should lift the NDA for the playtesters...
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Róka

Post by Róka »

matsif wrote:read a few articles from around the interwebz:
1. only 4 planets at launch: Hoth, Endor, Tatooine, and the new planet Sullust. i.e. likely only 8 maps at release.
2. only 40 player max online multiplayer for all systems
3. no multiplayer AI
4. some silly mechanic to allow you to spawn as a "hero or villain" such as Darth Vader or Boba Fett
5. no content from episodes 1-3
6. they refuse to touch space fighting at this time
7. free "setting" (2 maps) releasing like 2 weeks after game release (pre order to get it a week early guiz!), or basically day 1 DLC
8. they aren't releasing the gameplay footage they showed the news people. so we're stuck with this pre-rendered trailer.

back to being hesitant and less optimistic.
Just a reminder that yes DICE is making it but it's still a battlefront game
that said:
Spoiler: show
It's DICE + EA so I don't know why anyone would expect more than 8 maps on release. They didn't even release gameplay footage of Battlefield games this early so I wouldn't expect it with this. And the DLC is free... so it's not really something you can bash on them for. You can just not pre-order it and wait, which is what I would do but I still want these goodies
Get Instant Access to 5 in-game items:

DL44 blaster – as made famous by Han Solo
Ion Grenade
Ion Torpedo
Ion Shock (exclusive emote)
Victory (exclusive emote)

2. only 40 player max online multiplayer for all systems Max was 24 for past Battlefronts no? Not to say that they shouldn't just be able to implement 64 same as Battlefield if not more.
3. no multiplayer AI This is kinda disappointing because there used to be bots but how do you know they won't ever work on that?
4. some silly mechanic to allow you to spawn as a "hero or villain" such as Darth Vader or Boba Fett This has been pretty standard in Battlefront...
5. no content from episodes 1-3 Maybe DLC :lol: 8)
6. they refuse to touch space fighting at this time I have a hard time believing it's not going to exist because there are star destroyers in every damn scene. Possibly DLC again?
ImageImage
cancel_man
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cancel_man »

Róka wrote:6. they refuse to touch space fighting at this time [...] I have a hard time believing it's not going to exist because there are star destroyers in every damn scene. Possibly DLC again?
With the popularity of the X-Wing games, it wouldn't surprise me if Disney plans to reboot that IP as a separate spaceship fighter game and let Battlefront focus on terrestrial combat. That said, I really hope there's a titan mode style of gameplay between capital ships (though no indication of such at this time).

My guess is the star destroyers will act like main bases in most game modes where you can spawn/fly from them but they're a central part of gameplay.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

So far EA fraked all games running the current Trollbite engine.
From BF4 to Dragon Age.
At this point I don't expect anything but fancy graphics.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Still 0 gameplay footage. :roll:

I guess if I cared a lot about star wars in the first place, this would already be an exciting thing. Right now, I just see the SW theme as something holding the game back. It pushed the boundaries of scifi back in 1977, but in 2015 it's kinda cheesy and retro, not really in a good way. I get that it's gonna be a big seller because of the starwars IP, but it just doesn't impress me.

I'm just waiting to see if they put recoil on laser guns. :lol:
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

Fields wrote: I'm just waiting to see if they put recoil on laser guns. :lol:
DUDE! These are Blasters, not laser guns! k:shock:

There was a twitter Q&A going on a few moments ago which shed some light on some of the points raised here:
  • We have 4 iconic planets & on those many maps to play on. We're going to take you places you've never been before.
  • There will be more maps than 8, and more than two per planet at launch.
  • We have varying map sizes, from large to small, to cater to different experiences and different modes
  • We have a feature called Missions that allow you to play solo or cooperatively with bots on or offline
  • You will be able to pilot AT-STs, as well as many more iconic vehicles, like X-wings and Tie fighters
  • You will be able to take to the skies over our planets and dogfight with squadrons of starfighters
  • The battle of Jakku is not a day one dlc, it is free content we want you all to have as soon as it is done
  • Heroes depend heavily on the game mode.
  • There will be plenty of things to unlock, achieve and collect.
I assume they will release the 5 min gameplay trailer after the star wars celebration event. I don't have a lot of expectations from DICE SE, but as a SW fan (prequels excluded) I look forward to seeing how this develops. I think the futuristic aspects as well as lower player count have the potential to make things a little bit easier on the engine.
Nix

Post by Nix »

The real question here is how many lock-on weapons are we gonna get?
It's a deciding factor for me.
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

If that model quality makes it into the final game I will flail my arms and start smashing things in a furious rage.
the end is really fµcking nigh
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

Photorealistic visuals and authentic sound design from the talented team at DICE.
"from the talented team at DICE."

Sure, they're referring to the visuals, but still.