Evolve

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

Re: Evolve

Post by matsif »

article on how character progression will work.

Looks like the alpha isn't going to allow everyone to just choose everything right out of the gates. Long and short of it is, you have to earn at least 1 star (of 3 possible) for each weapon/item on the character in the class in order to unlock the next available character in that class. This holds for the monster as well, although I assume that's through the monster abilities. Given the test is only going on from Friday the 31st through Sunday the 2nd, this means that you're probably going to have to play a hell of a lot to get to play each character :(.

In other news, here's another code: 49697-32921-60544 (Referral Code: JoinTheHunt)
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

per this article apparently you can get guaranteed alpha access via downloading this curse voice thing here.

I have no idea what curse voice is or what they are trying to do. Seems like another steam/origin sort of thing with some sort of voice chat functionality. But this is claiming guaranteed access to the alpha if you are interested and didn't preorder.
bitesizebeef

Post by bitesizebeef »

matsif wrote:per this article apparently you can get guaranteed alpha access via downloading this curse voice thing here.

I have no idea what curse voice is or what they are trying to do. Seems like another steam/origin sort of thing with some sort of voice chat functionality. But this is claiming guaranteed access to the alpha if you are interested and didn't preorder.
Its not a guarantee to get the alpha, you still need to wait and hope you get an alpha key. You get a key to play for 3 days though. Its like skype where everyone is put into a single chat room, its mostly good for random people in small groups, so outside of MOBA or dungeon crawl games its not very useful
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

bitesizebeef wrote: Its not a guarantee to get the alpha, you still need to wait and hope you get an alpha key. You get a key to play for 3 days though. Its like skype where everyone is put into a single chat room, its mostly good for random people in small groups, so outside of MOBA or dungeon crawl games its not very useful
TRS are saying anyone who uses the sign up code you get from curse will be guaranteed a spot, and PC emails with said key are supposed to be starting to come out today (along with being able to preload today).

Servers open on Friday at Noon EST/4 PM GMT/5 PM CET.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

I got in matsif!!! Cheeeers!!!
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
YouSawNothing

Post by YouSawNothing »

I got a code woohoo! So excited for this game looks completely tailored to my play-style from both sides although I really just want to be the monster and hunt you guys.
bitesizebeef

Post by bitesizebeef »

matsif wrote:
bitesizebeef wrote: Its not a guarantee to get the alpha, you still need to wait and hope you get an alpha key. You get a key to play for 3 days though. Its like skype where everyone is put into a single chat room, its mostly good for random people in small groups, so outside of MOBA or dungeon crawl games its not very useful
TRS are saying anyone who uses the sign up code you get from curse will be guaranteed a spot, and PC emails with said key are supposed to be starting to come out today (along with being able to preload today).

The email they sent me, says I can play until midnight 11/2. I doubt the whole alpha testing period will only last 3 days.

Edit: I'm still gonna enjoy the frak out of those 3 days though!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

bitesizebeef wrote:
matsif wrote:

The email they sent me, says I can play until midnight 11/2. I doubt the whole alpha testing period will only last 3 days.

Edit: I'm still gonna enjoy the frak out of those 3 days though!
no, this whole test is only going to be 3 days. they've said this from the get go. I hope it's as good as the hype train and they extend it though.

Papa matsif may or may not have a couple extra steam activation keys for interested parties...If you do something to make him laugh in a PM maybe he'll send you one...
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

Anyone streaming it so I can watch?
YouSawNothing

Post by YouSawNothing »

Fields wrote:Anyone streaming it so I can watch?
I can once it starts
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Is it allowed? If so, I will prolly turn on my super entertaining clearly awesome twitch channel!
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

undrt0w wrote:Is it allowed? If so, I will prolly turn on my super entertaining clearly awesome twitch channel!
yep. No NDA to speak of.

I may dabble around in recording a bit, I don't have the connection to stream.

Also I still have 2 keys that you activate through steam to get in, no waiting around bollocks (other than the download). PM me if interested.
bitesizebeef

Post by bitesizebeef »

I might stream it for a bit, I have been playing it on xbox one, clearly monsters are Op if you max flame breath lvl 1 and and just go farm to level 2-3 kill medic and profit
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Day 1 review (wall of text warning, tl;dr at bottom):

Once the server issues cleaned up (took them 5 hours or so) the game was pretty awesome. Haven't played the monster yet but with a group it's a great co-op game. Every class feels good and unique, the environments are well made and allow lots of tactical use of topography, and there's a good bit of random banter that adds to the fun factor.

And that's where the game is doing really well right now, it's extremely fun. Every round (bar the ones where the monster was AFK or a complete noob who had no clue what to do) is unique and interesting, and I can't really complain about the experience on any round so far.

It's definitely got some room for improvement though. Case in point is the matchmaking system and servers, let's face it the game's a console port and matchmaking always sucks on PC. That said, I expected a little bit better instead of the doubled up lobbies and random stuff forcing DCs before the game even started. Also the loading times are atrocious, there's something like 5 screens that occur before the game starts, then an opening cinematic, then finally you get to go hunt. Not to mention the mandatory countdowns before loading actually begins. That sort of stuff is hurting the game. Other worries include a lack of maps overall (there's supposedly only 4 on release), but I think I'll be able to get over that considering the variation in characters and such for each class.

Character-wise, I've mainly played assault and unlocked the second character, Hyde. The first character Markov feels weak really, his mines aren't very useful and the lightning gun doesn't do a hell of a lot of damage (despite supposedly being one of the highest damaging weapons). He still does more than anyone else as far as DPS, but compared to the other assault guy there's no real comparison. Hyde gets a flamethrower and minigun (instead of AR) and he melts pretty much everything pretty quickly. I've also played some medic, which feels awkward due to the mix of TF2-style medigun and a set of sniper rifles, however after having played with the first character (Val) I'm kinda wanting to unlock the second guy to see if he's any better. The medigun feels pretty lackluster as far as healing (and especially reviving) but has a huge range. The other 2 classes I haven't played much of yet.

As far as performance, the video options are very lacking in what you can control, and the game does not support multi-monitor setups at all. But for running on CryEngine, it felt pretty smooth on my GTX970 with no real changes other than removing V-sync. No stuttering/hitching/massive frame loss at any point. I also never felt like I was network lagging, however there was some significant input lag on some of the weapon switching from time to time.

Overall though once the servers settled down and the game actually got playing, it's great fun and I fully believe the hype-train surrounding the game. But the load times and forced matchmaking in this test is painful...easily 10 minutes wasted on loading screens and mandatory countdowns before anything even thinks about beginning. Not stopping me from playing as much as possible this weekend though, the actual game (once it starts) deserves its best in shows at E3 and Gamescom by far.

tl;dr: Game is super fun despite loading time issues and I'm really looking forward to playing more of the game.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

and for whatever reason they decided to send me 4 more codes if anyone is still interested.