[Ultimate General: Gettysburg]

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

Gonzo
Executive
Executive

[Ultimate General: Gettysburg]

Post by Gonzo »

I found this cool little game on Steam and wanted to let you guys know about it. As the name suggests, it's about the battle of Gettysburg and if you still remember Sid Meyer's game about it, this is gonna feel pretty familiar to you.

The main focus of the game lies on the single player campaign. It's really well done, with a highly customizable AI and a very dynamic style. Scenarios change depending on the outcome of the last battle and unit casualties carry over from mission to mission. That means if you're not careful in your engagements, you weaken yourself for the next battle.

The campaign is structured into different battles over the course of up to four days. Reinforcements arrive as they did historically. Between days you get the chance to restructure your deployment and decide on what objectives you want to focus, depending on the outcome of the battles before and what ground you were holding when the last battle ended. I think in total there are about fifty different scenarios right now.

It's still in beta, but I haven't found any bugs yet. They're still adding features and tweaking stuff though, so if you're not a friend of early access, you might wanna wait a bit longer.
There are a few thing's that I'd like to be added, like a limber/unlimber mode for artillery, or an option to change unit formations, but the game works without those as well.

They've just added a multiplayer mode. Right now you can only play two different scenarios, but they're gonna add more over time. IIRC think there's also a scenario editor in the works.

The whole thing is 7,50€ on Steam (about 10$/6£ for you unenlightened) and well worth it in my opinion.

Here's a video showcasing the AI's decisionmaking:
phpBB [video]
Wi1D_K4rD
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: [Ultimate General: Gettysburg]

Post by Wi1D_K4rD »

As a huge civil war nerd I am exceedingly giddy hearing about this game. (Yes I used the word giddy :P). I've been looking for a decent modern civil war game. Tried Civil War 2 but that game was almost too complicated so I'll definitely be checking out this one. Thanks for the heads up.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Wi1D_K4rD wrote:As a huge civil war nerd I am exceedingly giddy hearing about this game. (Yes I used the word giddy :P). I've been looking for a decent modern civil war game. Tried Civil War 2 but that game was almost too complicated so I'll definitely be checking out this one. Thanks for the heads up.
I also have these feels
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

matsif wrote:
Wi1D_K4rD wrote:As a huge civil war nerd I am exceedingly giddy hearing about this game. (Yes I used the word giddy :P). I've been looking for a decent modern civil war game. Tried Civil War 2 but that game was almost too complicated so I'll definitely be checking out this one. Thanks for the heads up.
I also have these feels
It's absolutely worth the money IMO. What it does, it does pretty well. Get it and play me you dirty Rebs/bloody Yanks!