SOE purchased from Sony, becomes Daybreak Game Company

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

cancel_man
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

SOE purchased from Sony, becomes Daybreak Game Company

Post by cancel_man »

For Planetside, H1Z1 and the other titles by SOE, this is big news:
https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/ind ... st-3094759
This means that effective immediately SOE will operate as an independent game development studio where we will continue to focus on creating exceptional online games for players around the world, and now as a multi-platform gaming company.
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: SOE purchased from Sony, becomes Daybreak Game Company

Post by RazY70 »

Yeah, it is big news. Not sure good ones though. Particularly not after the emphasis they placed on this:
[...] and now as a multi-platform gaming company. Yes, that means PlayStation and Xbox, mobile and more
Couldn't find crap about Columbus Nova other than it's an investment company which "takes a value-oriented, long-term view to investing and seeks consistent returns with an emphasis on capital preservation". In other words:

matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

SOE is kill, RIP in pepperonies.

Investment firms rarely if ever buy companies that have been around as long as SOE out of altruism. It's likely everything gets moved towards a much more heavily monetized model (things like "you can only play on indar if you're a member" in planetside 2) if not outright changing to a P2W model.

Warhammer 40k Eternal Crusade looks nicer and nicer since this move by Sony.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
CekiHappy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by CekiHappy »

I felt similarly when i heard about this, but then I saw soe... er, Daybreaks reaction to the change

That said, it's hard for me to believe things'll get worse than they already have been with the development choices of PS2 at least. Will probably be a much more significant impact on H1Z1's future, but after that shaky start to their alpha, these columbus fellows would have to try fairly hard to make me have less hope for that game.
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

CekiHappy wrote:That said, it's hard for me to believe things'll get worse than they already have been with the development choices of PS2 at least. Will probably be a much more significant impact on H1Z1's future, but after that shaky start to their alpha, these columbus fellows would have to try fairly hard to make me have less hope for that game.

More P2W stuff, less reasons to play as a free member. for PS2 though you're right, I don't see that much in terms of significant changes. At least not for the game itsdelf, I imagine they're going to consol-ify their game as much as they can for the Ps4 move, as well as do it on Xbox if they can now that's an option for them.

I wonder if any other titles will get consolified. h1z1 would probably change quite a bit if that happens.