[BF2142] First Strike Mod Funday 2013-09-28

Arrange pub meets and gathers, discuss your favorite games.

Moderator: Executive

Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Re: [BF2142] First Strike Mod Funday 2013-09-28

Post by Gwynzer »

I have updated the first post with some information about the different classes in the game and also some of the concepts behind how the game works. I'll continue with more information on things such as the maps, gamemodes and vehicles later on.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

for those of you planning to play on Origin, here's how I got mine to work:

1) Start origin as administrator, else it will give you an error about CD keys
2) install 2142
3) install the mod as admin
4) run the launcher as admin
5) the launcher may crash on round 1, it's ok. just start it again as admin
6) let the launcher update
7) make sure you add the data about playing widescreen it tells you to add (in the GUI for the launcher)
8] close the launcher
9) go to your 2142 folder
10) remove the FirstStrike.exe (or however it's named, just remember the exact name!!) and make a copy of your 2142.exe
11) in a separate folder, paste the copied 2142.exe
12) rename said .exe in step 10 to whatever the FirstStrike.exe was named before you deleted it
13) run the launcher as admin again
14) launch game
15) make your settings better
16) have fun.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

my observations from messing around in single player:

-flying seems slow but is really really easy, you have tons of control. maps like supply convoy and yavin where it is entirely space fights become quite interesting, although I feel like the rebel ships are slightly stronger (better armor and/or lasers, TIE fighters lack afterburner and I think the other ones do as well) from my forays into single player. Outside of TIE bombers I don't think there are any imperial ships that get missiles, while every rebel ship has some proton torpedoes. Did not test TIE interceptors though. That said there is no reason for imperial ships to have missiles in the space maps as their only objective is to kill the rebel ships. Lasers can fire constantly with no overheating, missiles re-arm mid flight with unlimited ammo but have slow travel times, making them not so good against anything moving.

-ground vehicles don't drift a lot after stopping, so take that into account. You also have trouble driving over anything you don't ramp on to. walkers can't descend/ascend hills very well, which is good on some areas as you can't really fall off the edge but does limit your movement. Tanks are much stronger in the armor department, but good luck killing infantry with the main cannon. Vehicle mouse sensetivity is really low, take that into account when you set up your settings and get it DL'd early in order to find your preferred setup. gwynzer mentions the weak spots on walkers in the top post, and that neck joint is fairly easy to hit with most weapons. The 2nd seat in most tanks/walkers is really important for infantry kills because the main cannon doesn't hit small targets very well.

-the game is LOUD on stock settings, even at low windows volume. if you are using headphones/headset, plan accordingly.

-gwynzer went through the kits better than I could. Most weapons don't have a lot of reloads (if any at all), so ammo supply is very important. moving and shooting is bad. the sniper rifle(s) are awful, and since many guns have an adjustable scope (mouse wheel) there is no reason to ever use it.

-remember that this is based off of 2142. standard controls are 1=knife, 2=pistol, 3=primary (also switches firing mode if available), 4=grenade (or f key to pull it out), special items are 5-8. plan accordingly if you want to reset your controls.

-12 maps are available in single player if you want to explore, but the official map list has 17. I wanna play Hoth :(
Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

what a pain in the ass trying to remember my EA account name and password. EA was no help just sending me blank emails containing no information.

At least Brummie was still in my buddies list when I got it sorted out.

With downloading, plan on this taking 2+ hours to get going. If you wait till Saturday your gonna be out of luck.

BF3C3 • DARK • Sergeant
BF3C4 • Gladius • Sergeant
BF3C5 • Legion of Doom • General / Lord
^^^cause the only way I can get medals is to give them to myself^^^
BF3C6 • IMF • PFC
BF4C1 • Allies • Corporal
BF4C2 • 9th MEU • Sergeant First Class
BF4C3 • Lucky Number Seven • Chief Warrant Officer
BF4C4 • SAD • Private
BF4C5 • EVIL • 2nd Class Minion
BF4C6 •TCF • Made Man
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

I've updated first post with information on all of the vehicles and some information on push mode. I'm at work so the quality of the writing is bad. Later I'll go into some specifics of the maps, particularly the space maps which are all totally different in how they work.

Ghoul is correct, if you wait too late to try get things working, you will have problems getting the game to work. Most of the fixes are relatively easy, but if you leave it until last minute then I'll be too busy to help you, and others will probably already be playing.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

if someone with a server group high enough to make permanent channels could throw together some channels for this? There are invites out to multiple communities to play this today, so we should prepare for full teams even if it doesn't happen.

I'm thinking as a hierarchy have:
First Strike
->Rebels
---->Mos Eisley Cantina [meeting/waiting room channel]
---->6-8 squad channels
->Empire
---->Death Star Conference Room [meeting/waiting room channel]
---->6-8 squad channels
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Oh I doubt there will be full teams, but it would nice to get some channels split from the main trees so I can use army chat to talk people what will be happening on the next map :)
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

server is up and running for anyone else who wants to join. Make sure you manually update your 2142 punkbuster as well else it will kick you.
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

And most excellent fun was had by all. Thanks Gwyn.
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

No worries, we can do it again some time. For now though, I've been told there's a few people who turned up, and more who weren't here, who loved BF2142. We'll have to plan for a BF2142 fun day some time, and play some titan mode and the BF2142 version of Karkand. In this version you can fight all the way up to the roof of the Alpha hotel, it's quite cool ;)