All aboard the BF5 hype train

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: All aboard the BF5 hype train

Post by RazY70 »

Calloutman wrote:Initially at least, it looks like a decent contender for a GC campaign :)
It seems there will be no Commander mode in BF1. Not sure if good or bad, but definitely something to consider
Róka

Post by Róka »

RazY70 wrote:
Calloutman wrote:Initially at least, it looks like a decent contender for a GC campaign :)
It seems there will be no Commander mode in BF1. Not sure if good or bad, but definitely something to consider
Yes, we should actually start thinking of how we will handle FC'ing now. So far 3D/minimap spots only come from direct sight+pressing Q and the scout/sniper class flare gun, and the only overhead map is through spawn screen or spectator mode unless they add a map you can view like we had on battlelog.
ImageImage
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

We would probably find a way to get the FC in the game, even if it's just sitting at base with the minimap or spawn screen open. Don't think it would be much of a problem. They can always introduce spotting pigeons to the game too, like MAVs. :lol:

So far the game is looking pretty good in terms of fitting the GC style of play. Also, I think a lot of veterans here will like the change of pace of the game to a more slow gameplay. Time to kill seems to be decreased given that there isn't a weapon strong enough on all ranges anymore. Keeping alive on point will be much more valuable now with increased timings to cap a flag too.

I'm pretty optimistic and excited with the game at this point, my only worries are on the technical side of things, hoping for a smooth release and custom server tools.
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

This man's reaction to the BF5 release video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbepN4dKLbU
the end is really fµcking nigh
Róka

Post by Róka »

Need to keep an eye out for the Operations game mode, too. Looks like something that we might use more often than Conquest for campaigns.
https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/modes
ImageImage
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Operations seems really similar to RO2....just staying....
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Post by Calloutman »

RE: FCing,
Even with just a mini-map, or sitting in the spawn screen, it's definitely possible. Not too dissimilar to BF3 on the maps where a MAV wasn't workable - Seine crossing etc. SL's have to be more disciplined though as there isn't as much accountability without commander.
Róka wrote:Need to keep an eye out for the Operations game mode, too. Looks like something that we might use more often than Conquest for campaigns.
https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/modes
Yep, definitely keep an open mind on that one.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
A Docile Sloth
Executive
Executive

Post by A Docile Sloth »

Calloutman wrote:RE: FCing,
Even with just a mini-map, or sitting in the spawn screen, it's definitely possible. Not too dissimilar to BF3 on the maps where a MAV wasn't workable - Seine crossing etc. SL's have to be more disciplined though as there isn't as much accountability without commander.
Good job I still have my posit notes with me and a printer that works :lol:
Plus, now FCs have an extra excuse to yell at SLs when they wonder off flag without telling anyone.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

watched some more of the gameplay vids. and honestly I'm not finding much to complain about and I'm glad that my earlier fears ended up being proven wrong. the only thing I'm a little miffed at is the robot lady announcer voice, hopefully that's just a placeholder and they put in something better. also I'm feeling a distinct lack in artillery, but I guess I can live with that.

vehicle play didn't look god awful and the more targeted vehicle disabling thing reminds me of the more involved hitboxes of BF2's tanks, where the treads and such actually had their own hitbox. starting in BC2 they made the hitboxes just be side/front/back, in BF2 the turret itself, the treads, a few other weak points and such existed on tank/APC hitboxes. and with no lock ons or SMAW bs flying around vehicle play will likely be more enjoyable than what it was in BF3/4 imo.

no choppers, no problem. dumb bombs and machine guns just like BF42. air rape will be reduced and require more teamwork for bombing runs, that's great. might actually want to fly something more than once in a while now knowing there isn't going to be a myriad of lock on nonsense flying at me at at all times as well.

as to the FC discussion, I'm sure we'll figure something out. airship pilot when available seems like a good spot for him short of just sitting in the map screen like calloutman mentioned.

overall even cynical me is having a hard time finding something to be cynical about after seeing some gameplay. might actually even be slightly excited for it now. looking forward to more detailed info.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

Some of the details are encouraging:

No lockons of any type.

No helicopters, so no helicopter whoring.

No teleporting into vehicles(there are animations), so you actually stand a chance to kill an enemy before he turns into an invincible tank.

The Behemoths look to be better thought out than the AC130, and seem to be intended to give a losing team an advantage(Better than a boring curbstomp, for either side).

No spotting when you shoot. I very much employed this to get behind people, but especially without suppressors it's for the best that they removed it.

Better dynamic destruction. The behemoths crashing down and terrain deformation look much more interesting than "Levolution". I just hope you don't get stuck in the rubble even more now.

No more battlelog. It wasn't all bad, but whoever figured relying on third party software(the browser) was a good idea, was wrong.

Seemingly more points for team actions, so they're at least somewhat encouraging teamplay(whether the rest of the mechanic do...we'll see).

Less verticality. I've seen it touted as a revolutionary aspect for an FPS, but frankly it just means more annoying angles to get shot from.

However, I can't help but think:

It's still Frostbite, which they've probably modified further, but it remains too be seen how well they've tamed it.

Nothing indicates the netcode will be much better, they'll have worked on it, sure, but if the model is still client side...ugh.

With people declaring "COD is dead, long live Battlefield", the playerbase is going to be even worse than it already is(PTFO? What does that mean?).

Snipers are still a thing. Even with the rifles having set effective ranges, I expect campers everywhere, especially with the "1080 noscope blaze it lol" crowd having even larger numbers.

3D spotting still exists.

No commander mode. I wasn't around for BF3, but this game won't have MAVs. Hopefully the live deploy screen offers enough info to command somewhat effectively.

And the biggest factor stopping me from getting enthused: DLC has already been announced, for one of the two biggest armies in the war(which isn't in the multiplayer otherwise). It will be paid, with no premium option at present(which would've been a slight discount, at least).

I hope they get it right, I really do. There's still nothing like battlefield out there, at least not that I've found.
"Of course he looks like the suspect, that don't make him guilty! You look like an idiot, that doesn't mean you are one." -Ken Rosenberg
BF4 C3 TCF Sgt
BF4 C4 SAD Cpt
BF4 C5 EVIL WO
BF4 C6 TCF Col
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

All I can say thus far is that it better scale up in FoV by a notable margin, and why in the frak is there such a massive bob to the movement. It may very well be severely nausea inducing while simultaneously adding nothing at all.

There are still no actual detailed information about anything that isn't monetization yet either way.
"fraking game mechanics"
Fanne
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fanne »

Tea-Assault wrote:This man's reaction to the BF5 release video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbepN4dKLbU
blown away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZJi_NStV9k
Gwynzer
Executive
Executive

Post by Gwynzer »

Hitting just a few of those points

- I think no battlelog is a bad thing. I feel like a lot of the haters forget how often using older BF Server Browsers could be painful. Having to launch the game, sit through a bunch of dev/producer title screens, wait for the menu to load, press multiplayer, wait for the server list to work, and use the really shitty ingame filter systems, then hit join and wait for the map to load, and then you're in. Think how long it'll take to get back in a match after crashing if we go the ingame server browser route.

I loved battlelog and the "hit button, then go". I also liked that if there was a server issue, it was communicated easier and they could do things like patch the server browser without having to patch the ENTIRE game (and frostbite patches are always massive and spread apart). I think BL got a bit bloated, especially for BF4, but I also liked being able to look at my attachments and unlocks etc, without having to load the game or try navigate a really shitty fansite.

In saying that, they seem to be KEEPING some of the bloat - battlepacks are a thing.

The "DLC" thing I think has been an epic EA Marketing fuckup, by saying the French army will be a "DLC" army. How would a DLC army even work? I'm pretty sure what they mean is that future some DLC maps will feature the French army as one of the sides - this is nothing new and perfectly acceptable, the same thing happened with BF2 and its expansion packs.

- Fighting around what to do in place of commander mode looks like it'll be one of the bigger challenges for us. I imagine taht the "FC" role will basically be as a squaddie in the rear-defense squad who spends most of the time looking at the map
I've FCed BF3 and BF4 maps that way, and it wasn't too challenging (although we had MAVs). It's hard to tell, but is the spawn screen a real overview of the map? I see tankshells and planes flying around, but my screen is a bit to small to see people. If you can see all of that, the thing becomes pretty ridiculous.

- Seeing some scary poor map design. Here is a vehicle at the very start of the map, in its spawn location, where driving forward immediately beaches it. From a map dev standpoint that's a really REALLY stupid thing to happen. Yes, it's super early alpha and will probably be fixed, but I'm a bit worried of the fact the thing was put there at all. It's so glaring an issue that II'm thinking maybe the vehicle wouldn't normally be in the map (it seems extremely armour heavy, if you imagine everything being fully crewed), and was just there for E3. That's just one example D:

- Robot announcer lady needs to go. It's way too clear, constant, and out of place, to a stage I think it's actually distracting from the game.

One thing I'm not seeing anywhere is - where is the premium edition. On the Origin page All I see are the normal version and the preorder "deluxe" edition - nothing which says anything about "season pass" etc.

Some of the tanks have support tools - I saw one drops a medkit. I think things like that will see us making use of proper combined tank/infantry squads, something which wasn't THAT viable in previous games.
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

Gwynzer wrote: - Seeing some scary poor map design. Here is a vehicle at the very start of the map, in its spawn location, where driving forward immediately beaches it. From a map dev standpoint that's a really REALLY stupid thing to happen. Yes, it's super early alpha and will probably be fixed, but I'm a bit worried of the fact the thing was put there at all. It's so glaring an issue that II'm thinking maybe the vehicle wouldn't normally be in the map (it seems extremely armour heavy, if you imagine everything being fully crewed), and was just there for E3. That's just one example D:
Not 100% sure on this, but as far as I know vehicles only show up on the spawn screen, so somebody must have spawned in that tank and put it there before he got to it.
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

Gwynzer wrote:I think no battlelog is a bad thing. I feel like a lot of the haters forget how often using older BF Server Browsers could be painful. Having to launch the game, sit through a bunch of dev/producer title screens, wait for the menu to load, press multiplayer, wait for the server list to work, and use the really shitty ingame filter systems, then hit join and wait for the map to load, and then you're in. Think how long it'll take to get back in a match after crashing if we go the ingame server browser route.

I loved battlelog and the "hit button, then go".
For me, the main frustration was the technical implementation. Relying on a third party plugin to facilitate communication between the browser and the game meant that often the game wouldn't launch properly(and it had to launch every single time you joined a server, instead of keeping it running in between), and remember getting stuck in que, even though there were spots open? I'm not saying those things can't happen with a built-in server browser, but it will at least cut out some of the potential problems.

I'd hope they add an option to start straight to the server browser, or at least to skip cinematics(command line argument would be enough).

I would assume some Battlelog features are implemented ingame instead, like joining on friends, and swapping loadout presets without having to tab out(or using a tablet, ugh).

What I'll miss most is Battlescreen. It wasn't very stable, but when it worked, it was a huge advantage to SA for me.

For crashes, you have a point, though for me it often tended to screw up badly enough that I needed to reboot anyways. I hope it's "current BF4 stable" rather than "launch BF4 stable'.
Gwynzer wrote: I also liked that if there was a server issue, it was communicated easier and they could do things like patch the server browser without having to patch the ENTIRE game (and frostbite patches are always massive and spread apart).
That's up to the patching system and data structure, really. In BF3/4 the UI was built up out of a bunch of flash applets(IIRC), you don't need to patch the engine to make changes to those, just the resource files.
Gwynzer wrote:I also liked being able to look at my attachments and unlocks etc, without having to load the game or try navigate a really shitty fansite.
Definitely, I hope that'll be available still, just not under the "Battlelog" name anymore.
"Of course he looks like the suspect, that don't make him guilty! You look like an idiot, that doesn't mean you are one." -Ken Rosenberg
BF4 C3 TCF Sgt
BF4 C4 SAD Cpt
BF4 C5 EVIL WO
BF4 C6 TCF Col