Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Calloutman
Executive
Executive

Re: All aboard the BF5 hype train

Post by Calloutman »

RazY70 wrote:
Calloutman wrote: I don't think so. I think they simply reversed the conquest bleed. You still get points for holding flags, which is essentially the bleed.
Not exactly. Technically there is no more bleed since there's no more a bank of tickets your team uses up as you spawn in or bleed out. You just accumulate points just like in TDM, only instead of kills it's flag based. You can die and spawn as many times as you like. It's a pretty big change as explained here: http://forum.symthic.com/battlefield-1- ... ce-bf1942/
Oh right, I see.
Reading the symthic thread, I'm quite intrigued by the change. I like the dynamic that strategic gains are more important than an individual getting a whole bunch of kills, but it could lead to a more careless play-style if your deaths don't count. Maybe if we made the respawn timer longer to punish deaths more... We'll have to see how it plays out in practice I guess to see if it's a good or bad thing.
BF3 || C2 Lead Operative || C3 Brigadier General || C4 Major General || C5 Private First Class || C6 General
BF4 || C1 TA || C2 TA || C3 TA || C4 Serviceman || C5 Duke
Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

I played for a hour the other night. Didn't see an engineer class for tank repairs.
Couldn't use my joystick so dunno about planes yet.
Didn't care for the bobbing motion while running.

Overall I enjoyed it though.

BF3C3 • DARK • Sergeant
BF3C4 • Gladius • Sergeant
BF3C5 • Legion of Doom • General / Lord
^^^cause the only way I can get medals is to give them to myself^^^
BF3C6 • IMF • PFC
BF4C1 • Allies • Corporal
BF4C2 • 9th MEU • Sergeant First Class
BF4C3 • Lucky Number Seven • Chief Warrant Officer
BF4C4 • SAD • Private
BF4C5 • EVIL • 2nd Class Minion
BF4C6 •TCF • Made Man
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

Ghoul wrote: Didn't see an engineer class for tank repairs.
It seems only the vehicle drivers get a repair tool.

I enjoy the alpha very much. but the no-audio spotting on the minimap throws me off big time.
Honestly, it can be very hard to see players with all the rain, smoke, mist and whatnot.

For GC i see great potential! :thumbup: Vehicles require more teamwork etc.

The field commander could maybe even sit at the spawn screen, it is quite beautiful to be honest.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

Ghoul wrote:I played for a hour the other night. Didn't see an engineer class for tank repairs.
There is no engineer class. The Medic class will be responsible for vehicle repairs as well (https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/classes.
Westie: Where did the Engineer class from previous Battlefield games go?

Julian Schimek: Yep – good eye – classic Engineers are no more in Battlefield 1. But worry not, their abilities live on! Besides being able to heal and revive players, the Medic can also repair vehicles
Plus, there's the self-repair from within the vehicle thingy. I think you need to press X while being stationary or something like that.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

Calloutman wrote: I like the dynamic that strategic gains are more important than an individual getting a whole bunch of kills, but it could lead to a more careless play-style if your deaths don't count. Maybe if we made the respawn timer longer to punish deaths more... We'll have to see how it plays out in practice I guess to see if it's a good or bad thing.
assuming we get rented servers (there still has been no official info from them about this afaik) hopefully we'll get enough breathing room to be able to tweak things like we have in the past. all rumors point to less server controls than we had in BF4, which was less than BF3, which was less than the previous games, so at the end of the day we may not be able to tweak these settings.

I don't have the alpha so I can't play it yet but I personally really like the change. sure the "10 tickets left hold spawn" moments are memorable but those were less common than losing by 100 tickets because the other team had the better air force who got 100+ kills in the round. moving more emphasis to the team level is never a bad idea in my mind. may change when I play it and I do think it is effectively more "dumbing down" of the game but to me it seems like a good change.

questions for alpha folks in no particular order:
-is there a spawn beacon like item?
-do they have an item like the big ammo box/medbag of BF4 or is it just the smaller ammo/medkits?
-how many of each grenade does a kit have? do grenades get resupplied by an ammo bag? how's the nade spam?
-how large is the flag capture radius? is it smaller like BF2 or larger like BF3/4?
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

available gadgets are severely limited, many slots are without description. flag cap radius is BF4 like.

In principle all this info is already available through the live stream and YT partners, I dont feel like breaking any NDA with this. 8)

They announced an open beta.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

matsif wrote:
Calloutman wrote:
questions for alpha folks in no particular order:
-do they have an item like the big ammo box/medbag of BF4 or is it just the smaller ammo/medkits?
-how many of each grenade does a kit have? do grenades get resupplied by an ammo bag? how's the nade spam?
-how large is the flag capture radius? is it smaller like BF2 or larger like BF3/4?
I don't think there are weapon unlocks happening in the alpha.
One grenade starting and two anti tank grenades is what I think I had.
Róka

Post by Róka »

matsif wrote:questions for alpha folks in no particular order:
Spoiler: show
The unlocks in the closed alpha are limited to 6 guns per class, 2 pistols and 2 gadgets already unlocked, and all the different types of grenades (incendiary, smoke, flash). You only get 1 normal grenade (assault has 2 AT grenades and 4 or 5 shells of AT rockets as gadgets) and I assume the rest are like previous games where you might get 2 smoke grenades, 2 impact grenades, etc. (Impact grenades don't do as much damage as in BF4.) Everything gets resupplied normally. Not a lot of nade spam. Usually only throw grenades when you know there's enemies in a building that you want to clear off a point or if you're going to try and need to hear where the enemies are.
I know there's a big ammo bag so everyone has been saying there is going to be one for the medic, too. Besides that, of the 3 tanks the landship has the ability to drop an ammo CRATE and health CRATE out its arse, the light tank can drop the health crate, and there's also a pretty cool other ability that the heavy tank has. :wink:
Cap radius is similar to BF3/4 but also seems like its cropped specifically to match whatever terrain its on. Windmill flag cap is almost a perfect circle around the windmill, farm flag cap includes an open field but also a house and its barn, ruined village is basically just rubble, and for the ruined monastery you have to be inside or right on the wall from the outside.
The interface and music is also pretty amazing.
ImageImage
Róka

Post by Róka »

phpBB [video]
ImageImage
InsanityRocks
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by InsanityRocks »

I was finally able to play some Domination last night. I have to say, I enjoyed it better than Conquest. I'm not sure why. It just seemed better on the smaller scale.

I did play Conquest before that though and had fun 'pew pew pew'ing from the Zeppelin.
Phyrefli

Post by Phyrefli »

Been playing for a few days as well. Feels good - almost like a stripped down BF, with more reliance on aim and teamwork rather than flashy UIs and lock on stuff. It's a lot more fun than BF4 IMHO.

If GC restarts with BF1 I for one would be signing up to play again.

Alpha finishes tomorrow morning EU time, so roll on the beta!
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

And now this

phpBB [video]

I realize it's still Alpha but there are things which have been an issue since forever and apparently still are. 3D spotting FTW!
Yob

Post by Yob »

I'm just here for the comments. :clap:
If you don't ask, the answer is, "No."
My Campaign ribbons are around here somewhere!
dan1mall
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by dan1mall »

Im also here reading and lurking
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

dan1mall wrote:Im also here reading and lurking
thought you deserted GC ranks to go fly roflcopters in RL ?