EA <3 microtransactions

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

Arcturus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

EA <3 microtransactions

Post by Arcturus »

EA plans to put microtransactions in all their games
EA has announced that they will be incorporating microtransactions into all of their PC and console games.
The news comes in after the the release of their first game that included microtransactions, Dead Space 3.
Battlefield 4 is doomed.
BF3 C2 - Lt. | BF3 C3 - Maj. | BF3 C4 - Field Marshall | BF3 C5 - Tournament Administrator
Hgx

Re: EA <3 microtransactions

Post by Hgx »

Okey guys, time to start to think about a new game for GC! HEHE
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

Microtransactions become a problem when they give access to weapons, abilities, whatever that would be inaccessible otherwise. If you can pay to get things faster, then who cares, the problem arises when they let you buy exclusive nukes to use at will.
ImageImageImage
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

giving you an expansion pack weapons in the vanilla "game" doesn't fall in that category? when i didn't have Premium i felt nuked by weapons like M-TAR/shotguns and the like.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Hgx wrote:Okey guys, time to start to think about a new game for GC! HEHE
Arma 3. :)

Oh, forgot this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk9INOq4Wyc[/youtube]
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

BotoloLover wrote:Microtransactions become a problem when they give access to weapons, abilities, whatever that would be inaccessible otherwise. If you can pay to get things faster, then who cares, the problem arises when they let you buy exclusive nukes to use at will.
This.

And also balanced between how many hours you have to play to get it for "free" and how money it cost.
Because I know some games where you can get all the stuff by playing the game, but it's almost impossible, where another user can get it for $100 in less than 10 mins.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:Oh noes. Wait. Nothing new:
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/kit-shortcuts
Agreed. I have no idea who in their right mind would think of dead space 3 as EA's first microtransaction game. If they do put microtransactions in everything, they'll likely just be unlockable shortcut packs, like deadspace 3 and bf3 have had. It's kind of a non-issue.
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Fields wrote:Agreed. I have no idea who in their right mind would think of dead space 3 as EA's first microtransaction game. If they do put microtransactions in everything, they'll likely just be unlockable shortcut packs, like deadspace 3 and bf3 have had. It's kind of a non-issue.
I actually kind of like those shortcut packages. They open up options to people who don't have that much time available to play without giving people an advantage for money. I see no problems with them.
elchino7

Post by elchino7 »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:Oh noes. Wait. Nothing new:
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3/1/kit-shortcuts
SHalalalalalala

"Clubbing, drinking, dancing, glancing, flirting, winking, greeting, meeting, chatting, laughing, talking, walking, leaving, weaving, stumbling, fumbling, cabbing, asking, viewing, brewing, nuzzling, cuddling, feeling, reeling, kissing, twisting, touching, rushing, stripping, gripping, clutching, thrusting, bending, arching, gasping, slacking, melting, sleeping, waking, smelling…
Dirt?
Scrabbling, pounding, thumping, bumping, screaming, scratching, groping, choking, crying, gulping, stifling… quieting.
Breathing…breathingbreathing
LongBowNL
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LongBowNL »

Their games will become Free 2 Play. (Hopefully not Pay 2 Win)
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

as long as they are micro Im not too worried

actually I hope all future BF series are doomed so we can go back to BF42 8)
Ghoul
8.Lord
8.Lord

Post by Ghoul »

Lets not forget EA's attempt at selling advertising on the billboards in BF2142. Seeing Nvidia and Intel billboards ingame that were updated as they got new advertisers to pay for them. 2142 collected the data from each player on how long each AD was in the player view and was trying to generate revenue from that. The idea seemed to fall flat on its face however, I never saw an updated billboard.

I wouldn't be suprised to see that idea brought back for BF4 as popular as BF3 has been.

BF3C3 • DARK • Sergeant
BF3C4 • Gladius • Sergeant
BF3C5 • Legion of Doom • General / Lord
^^^cause the only way I can get medals is to give them to myself^^^
BF3C6 • IMF • PFC
BF4C1 • Allies • Corporal
BF4C2 • 9th MEU • Sergeant First Class
BF4C3 • Lucky Number Seven • Chief Warrant Officer
BF4C4 • SAD • Private
BF4C5 • EVIL • 2nd Class Minion
BF4C6 •TCF • Made Man
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

If the micro crap is limited to cosmetic stuff like camos and things, then I won't care. If any single weapon, vehicle, item, or any usable object in the game is a payed unlock, that's where things become bad.
LongBowNL wrote:Their games will become Free 2 Play. (Hopefully not Pay 2 Win)
I hope this isn't the case. F2P transactions make bank on P2W stuff, because it basically becomes required to play the game. I'd rather pay $60 and have optional unlock packs/premium pack/whatever than have the game free but anything worthwhile be a payed unlock.

I also have the very slightest optimism that EA/Dice aren't that dumb, because the outrage from PC gamers over the above scenario would be worse than when CoD:MW2 released without dedicated servers on PC. I've more often wrong than right on a lot of things though.
Ghoul wrote:Lets not forget EA's attempt at selling advertising on the billboards in BF2142. Seeing Nvidia and Intel billboards ingame that were updated as they got new advertisers to pay for them. 2142 collected the data from each player on how long each AD was in the player view and was trying to generate revenue from that. The idea seemed to fall flat on its face however, I never saw an updated billboard.

I wouldn't be suprised to see that idea brought back for BF4 as popular as BF3 has been.
overall 2142 was pretty much a flop so the idea never really got the coverage it could have, but I could definitely see it having a come back in bf4.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
CanShield

Post by CanShield »

I am done with BF series well BF3 being my last game as it stands with the mandatory DRM, and now micro transactions let alone the beta test they did with premium. Like Scotty would say " The pipes they use in plumbing the easier it is to clog the drain." The drain being clog with all the money they will siphon out of BF4.