You in North East Germany?

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

You in North East Germany?

Post by undrt0w »

Cuz, I will be.

I am traveling to Berlin on the 30th of June. Will be there until the 2nd of July. Then on the 3rd I will be at Potsdam, on the 4th Leipzig and then until the 6th in Dresden. I will go to Tropical Islands on the 4th of July and one of the days at Dresden we will visit the Radeberger brewery. So, if anyone would like to have a beer or two with me....feel free to contact me :)
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: You in North East Germany?

Post by Jokerle »

That sounds like an interesting (and exhausting..) trip. Have fun!
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

i am sure that we will mess up the trains :) :) :)
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

I won't be anywhere near, but let me be your travel guide here for a second.

Berlin: It's a big city and has lots of sights to see, so you have to figure out what you want to see for yourself. But here's a little hiking route that will take about an hour on foot for the short version and two for the longer one and show you some of the different sides of Berlin:

You start out on the east side, on Alexanderplatz which has some distinctly east-german architecture and make your way down Karl-Liebknecht-Str. This will take you across the Museumsinsel (museum island [like old and ancient history? this is where you want to be.]) and right alongside the Berliner Dom. You continue to follow the street (from here on it's Unter den Linden [some nice restaurants, very touristy]) and walk through the Berlin Gate and over to the right, to the Reichstag and the Chancellery.

Short route:
You head left and cross the street, taking you into the tiergarten (Berlin's Central Park) down Ytzhak-Rabin-Str. until you're at the Potsdamer Place (which city planners were sporting to be the new city centre in the early 2000s. All new and has some nice, though a bit expensive bars and shopping.)
http://goo.gl/maps/yvrtC

Long route:
You head alongside the right edge of Tiergarten until you get to Schloß Bellvue (the residence of the German President, which is our guy for the ceremonial stuff, basically the German queen.) You make a left turn and cross the great star, a giant roundabout around the Siegessäule (Victory column, or Goldelse to Berliners).
Take your third right (Fasanierallee). Cross the Landwehrkanal and take a left around the zoo until you're at the Breitscheidplatz, where you'll find the bombed-out memorial church (for locals the hollow tooth) and the two weird new curches they built there sometime in the 60s (the lipstick and the powder box, respectively).
You head back the way you came and cross the channel again when you see it. Then, go right, alongside the channel and through the new embassy quarter until you hit the potsdamer str. Take a left here to Potsdamer Platz.
http://goo.gl/maps/Oh6DK

It's been a while since i've been there, but I remember Kreuzberg being great for pub carwling. I was in a bar there once with some friends and asked the waitress when their happy hour begins. She took a look at her watch and said hmmmmm, now? So we asked her when it ends and she went how long do you want to stay?
It was a good evening to say the least. But I hear the area has been gentrified a lot, so maybe someone who's been there more recently can give you a few tips.

Dresden: I always tell people, Dresden is a great place to visit and a crap place to live. I won't go into why it's crap to live there but rather tell you about the nice to visit part.
What you want to see there is rather condensed. Basically there is no need to head outside this area:
http://goo.gl/maps/Cck3H
This is mainly due to the city being more or less razed by fire bombs at the end of ww2 and only the historical centre being properly restaurated afterwards. But in this Centre there is quite a lot to see (I'll try to list the most interesting things, as I remember them). It's basically a Baroque soveraine's wet dream:
-Semperoper: A fantastic opera house and what you'll see in all the Radeberger ads when you're in the brewery
-Zwinger: The lord's of Saxony-Coburg's residence in the city in the 18th and 19th century
-Fürstenzug: the world's largest tile fresco, depicting all the lords and rulers of Saxony from the 12th century onwards.
-Frauenkirche: Recently rebuilt Baroque church. Still has the bright, pinkish colour of the Elbe-sandstone that is the classic building material in the historic centre. It turns dark when exposed to oxygen, which is the colour of most of the rest of the centre.
-Grünes Gewölbe: Museum that holds the treasures of Saxony's lords. Has some of the most intricate gold work you'll ever see.
There are a lot of other great buildings around there, so I'd suggest you just stroll around and make your own way. But as I said, outside of that 'perimeter' there isn't a lot to see.

Leipzig: No idea, never been there, at least not outside the trainstation.

Potsdam: Well, there's basically just Sanssoucie there. Visit Sansscoucie. It's nice.

Have a nice trip. Let's hope the weather holds.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

omg omg omg omg omg omg omg omg!!!

Gonzo thank you sooooooo very much!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I just printed your reply with all the routes and maps...that's my reading material for the plane!!

So, sad I can't buy you a beer....but cheers for all the nice info k:beer:
Welcome Committee Member

Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

Cheers, man. Have fun. :thumbup:
If you have anything specific you're interested in, like art or history, tell me and maybe I can dig up something interesting for you to visit or check out.
Here are a few off the top of my head:

-Checkpoint Charlie museum in Berlin. Make a guess right now how many east germans you can smuggle across the border in a Trabi Image. Hint: you're probably wrong :wink:
-You can go up into the dome of the Reichstag. Takes some waiting though. You can get in a lot quicker if you join a tour group. It has a nice view and there still are the inscriptions of the russian soldiers up there who took the building in '45.
-The Fernsehturm on Alexanderplatz has a Viewing platform and I think a restaurant up there. Can't speak to quality or prices though.
-If it's hot while you're in Potsdam, you can take a dip in the Wannsee. It's nice this time of year. It's where I learned, that when you're swimming with your dog, you don't hold the dog's ball in your hand for too long, because doggy paddling means claws up front. 8O
-Eat a Döner Kebap. Seriously. You're gonna thank me. You'll find more Döner joints in berlin than McD's and starbucks combined. It's our imported national dish.
-Make a riverboat tour up the Elbe in Dresden. It's a nice place to get leisurely drunk and it takes you up to what would be a world heritage nature preserve, if the idiots weren't building a giant bridge right through it. Still nice though.

That's all I can think of for now. As I said, let me know if you're looking for something in particular.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

phpBB [video]
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

danke danke danke!!

I printed the google maps routes with the streetview...must've destroyed a forest :)

Thx very much for the tips for dresden, we weren't sure what to see there. The boat ride seems quite nice.

I like history and everything about ww2 (blame bf1942 and my dad for that) while my gf is fond of art, so its a 50/50. I was thinking of doing some of the walking tours in Berlin that have like specific themes but I think with your guides we have this covered.

I booked a time slot for the Reichstag, so I hope we don't wait too long.

Btw, I have been to one of the gatherings of the Trabi owners club :) we even had the EU Trabi (painted blue with the flag on top) when we were joining the EU :)

Doner kebaps are everywhere here also, but I will check them out. Given that fact that the best Chinese restaurant for my gf is in Wurzburg :)

Are there many dogs swimming in Wannsee? It would be awkward hihihi :P
Welcome Committee Member

Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

und3rt0w wrote: Are there many dogs swimming in Wannsee? It would be awkward hihihi :P
I would more worry about naked people :lol:
There is a separated part for nudists. If you want to enter the beach part with a "FKK" sign, you have to take your cloths off.
There was quite some big nudist movement in former east germany.
(pro tip: Chancellor Merkel is from east germany... :o )
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Jokerle wrote:There was quite some big nudist movement in former east germany.
(pro tip: Chancellor Merkel is from east germany... :o )
:|
Gonzo
Executive
Executive

Post by Gonzo »

Happy to help.

Concerning the arts, there are two places that come to mind in Berlin. For the classics you can visit the Old Museum (http://goo.gl/maps/vucEW) and for the more modern stuff there is the New National Gallery (http://goo.gl/maps/QeVwm). Both are on the route I picked.

Also on, or close to the route, are the Soviet Honorary Memorial (http://goo.gl/maps/y6WGS), the Holocaust Memorial (http://goo.gl/maps/QAeuo) and the Bendlerblock, where von Stauffenberg got excecuted (http://goo.gl/maps/JVhw0).
There's also the Topography of Terror excibit (http://goo.gl/maps/AatNU), that's mainly dealing with the SS and the Gestapo during the Nazi time.

Oh and the dogs shouldn't be a problem. It's just my most prevalent memory about the Wannsee. It's been almost 20 years since I lived there.

When you're in Dresden, if possible take one of the ships of the White Fleet for your boat tour. They're old paddle steamers and have quite a bit more flair (and brass) than the modern ships. Here's a pretty picture: Image

For your GF, the Old Masters excibit in the Zwinger might be interesting (http://goo.gl/maps/Y5iuR), as for you, there is the Military Historic Museum (http://goo.gl/maps/Q7iKz).
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

yes, we are definitely going to the Zwinger.....and that boat ride looks awesome! I will try to get us on that.

thx for the museums in Berlin. She likes modern ones so I guess we will visit that one, then she has to endure the military one in Dresden :)

again, more maps printed :P

as for Merkel naked.....
Welcome Committee Member

ZombieToof
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZombieToof »

Sadly I'm living further south now.

The „Berliner Unterwelten“ (Berlin Underworld „Society for the Exploration and Documentation of Subterranean Architecture“) offer guided tours through areas like abandoned tubes and bunkers. It's astonishing to walk through a hidden door on a busy, loud street and suddenly you are in a silent, huge subsurface areas that is full of history.

http://berliner-unterwelten.de/guided-tours.3.1.html
…I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey, and waves! You won't believe your own breath, when the bold words finally escape your mouth. Keep your secrets hidden, till we're certain of just what we've found. Yeah, they bleed just like us, but our calling is what shapes us now. We won't be held back, won't be tied up, we won't be pinned down. Not now. Astronautalis: "Dimitri Mendeleev"
AusbilderSchmidt
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by AusbilderSchmidt »

If u have time, visit the "Militerie Museum of Dresden". Its a 10.000m² area about warhistorie. Momently they have the spezial theme "1636 - their last battle"

http://www.mhmbw.de/facts

Its not expensive, cost only 5 € and its very interresting :thumbup:
[IMG]https:///images/210831/.jpg[/IMG]
C7:CPL C8:MAJ C9:SFC C10:COL C11:TA C13:SGT
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

thx guys. i think i will go myself to the museum. interestingly my gf agreed to the underground tour :clap:
Welcome Committee Member