Buying a new PC

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

lakefisher1

Buying a new PC

Post by lakefisher1 »

I am thinking of buying the following PC, as my current one is awful (30 frames in BF4, at best). Harddrives will be taken out of my old PC and put in this one.
What are your opinions? Do you have any suggestions on how to make this better for gaming, especially Battlefield?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£227.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£49.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£124.99 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.22 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£189.79 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£189.79 @ Aria PC)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£78.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £920.02
(Case is £110 from amazon, but it doesnt show up on PartPicker)
Follow us @gc_org and help support our community!
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Buying a new PC

Post by Jokerle »

skip the SLI and get a 780 ti.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
lakefisher1

Post by lakefisher1 »

I would but thats an extra £200, which I don't have. I forgot to mention budget in my OP. Whoops.
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

i accidentally looked at the 780 price (around 350), not the 780 ti price which is much higher
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

A full tower 8O
last time i checked the only interesting design i saw was the NZXT H440, its a mid tower that probably costs a fortune. :(

also i personally prefer a single GPU over a crossfire/SLI. SLI often have more problems.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

As someone who went for the 2x EVGA GTX 760 SLI setup, It does nothing for BF4.
In fact, unless you want to play Star Citizen or War Thunder, getting SLI is a bad idea seen as most games out there aren't properly optimized for it.
Save up a bit more money and get an awesome single card is my advice, the only reason I don't pull out my second card and run just the one (which gives slightly better performance in BF4 than the SLI setup) is because I would feel like a chump having a £260 card sitting outside of my PC..

Also Star Citizen DFM soon :D
the end is really fµcking nigh
lakefisher1

Post by lakefisher1 »

Necromancer wrote:A full tower 8O
last time i checked the only interesting design i saw was the NZXT H440, its a mid tower that probably costs a fortune. :(
My god that looks wonderful.

Also thanks for your advice about the SLI Tea and Necro. I will look into getting a better single card. Any recommendations for one? I would be look at just over £300 I suppose.

EDIT: Just looked up this card [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card and it is only £7 more, do you think it would be better?
Tea-Assault
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Tea-Assault »

the end is really fµcking nigh
ZombieToof
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZombieToof »

lakefisher1 wrote:
My god that looks wonderful.

Also thanks for your advice about the SLI Tea and Necro. I will look into getting a better single card. Any recommendations for one? I would be look at just over £300 I suppose.

EDIT: Just looked up this card [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card and it is only £7 more, do you think it would be better?
If you don't go for a SLI setup you might think about getting a cheaper mainboard. AFAIK the Z87 boards are mainly required for SLI and overclocking the CPU. I guess the potential benefits of overclocking the CPU are negligible. So you can go with a H87 board like the Asrock H87 Pro4 and throw the difference at your graphics card.
…I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey, and waves! You won't believe your own breath, when the bold words finally escape your mouth. Keep your secrets hidden, till we're certain of just what we've found. Yeah, they bleed just like us, but our calling is what shapes us now. We won't be held back, won't be tied up, we won't be pinned down. Not now. Astronautalis: "Dimitri Mendeleev"
LoA
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LoA »

Looks good apart from the two GPUs. SLI is great when it actually works properly, which it basically never does. You need to wait for new SLI profiles when a shiny new game comes out and whenever they're available you're going to have horrible microstuttering. A single GPU = More stable, less problems.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

i found the NZXT H440 interesting because its one of few cases that are actually designed to be functional.
- cable management
- silent (sound dampening materials)
- Anti-dust design using the positive pressure principle (pressure in the case is higher then outside, so in cracks air is flowing outwards instead of sucking dust inside. And it has a dust filter over every fan that sucks air in to keep dust out).
- And it has a window with a nice sleek design.

it also has some room for water cooling (radiators), but i don't know how important that is.

you should note the case doesn't have any 5.25" bays (CD-ROM/Writer etc...) and has more 3.5" (HDD) slots instead.
and its a mid-tower.

If could i probably buy that, but i don't own one so i can't give you a honest impression.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

also i personally prefer a single GPU over a crossfire/SLI. SLI often have more problems.
If it doesn't have wheels then its not my cup of tea. :P
Di3for3v3r
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Di3for3v3r »

I agree with joker,

drop the SLI from the 760 and buy an 780 of 4Gb, then you still have a slot free for a second 780 in the future it's an easy upgrade in the future.

it's worth it
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What kills you let you respawn wherever you wanted to go

With kind regards
Di3for3v3r