Blew up a small portion of my yard tonight...

Off-topic discussion, where anyone can talk about almost anything.

Moderator: Executive

cairdazar
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Blew up a small portion of my yard tonight...

Post by cairdazar »

Don't know what level you are looking for, but yale have some of their chemistry courses online
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

bitesizebeef wrote:
That is some very interesting stuff, I was under the impression this whole time that kintetic stability was what made things more safe, from the aspect of preventing things from blowing up, and thermodynamic stability was how big the explosion was. So naturally my logic was, big boom potential that doesn't blow up = safe. Little boom, that blows up frequently = dangerous. Now I must rethink my logic and do more studies.
Well, things that dont blow up are generally safe, yes :D. Kinetic stability gets reduced by either heat (energy into the system) or by a more favorable reaction partner (or/and a catalyst).
bitesizebeef wrote: Do you recommend any good books or websites I can learn more about chemistry?
Inorganic chemistry by Atkins should be good. I dont know it, learned from a some german books, but his books are always well done.
Dont know any specific website. The basics should be explained well on most sites.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
bitesizebeef

Post by bitesizebeef »

cairdazar wrote:Don't know what level you are looking for, but yale have some of their chemistry courses online
This looks awesome!! Thank you for sharing!
Jokerle wrote:Well, things that dont blow up are generally safe, yes :D. Kinetic stability gets reduced by either heat (energy into the system) or by a more favorable reaction partner (or/and a catalyst).
I knew I was onto something, one day when I make a great breakthrough rewriting the laws of chemistry/physics, I will be sure to cite you as a contributing partner :)
Jokerle wrote: Inorganic chemistry by Atkins should be good. I dont know it, learned from a some german books, but his books are always well done.
Dont know any specific website. The basics should be explained well on most sites.
Im gonna go look for this Atkins guys book hopefully an english version, I'd rather not have to learn how to read german first. :D
SeraphiM0352
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by SeraphiM0352 »

MIT also shares a lot of their coursework online for free.

here is the link to MIT's Aeronautics and Astronautics section: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#aeronautics ... tronautics

It includes undergraduate and graduate level course material
bitesizebeef

Post by bitesizebeef »

SeraphiM0352 wrote:MIT also shares a lot of their coursework online for free.

here is the link to MIT's Aeronautics and Astronautics section: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#aeronautics ... tronautics

It includes undergraduate and graduate level course material
Looks like im getting a free degree #stunnashades
Digz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Digz »

1- you're such a marine F yeah.. :thumbup:
2- my friends did cooking (the part that goes boom and away) and build their own rocket,
and number of missiles tests. the last one went up above 200 mtrs and was seen by friends more than 1.5 km away.

but! they read about it, one of them is working in the field (kinda), they had bad tests too.
the best one i took part in was at night, and got a guard on duty to come look for debris
thinking there was a terror rocket attack, we had fun before telling the truth.

3-some tests ended like yours. try to do it in open areas, or have plenty of time and space to runaway.
videos to follow later.
bitesizebeef

Post by bitesizebeef »

Digz wrote:1- you're such a marine F yeah.. :thumbup:
2- my friends did cooking (the part that goes boom and away) and build their own rocket,
and number of missiles tests. the last one went up above 200 mtrs and was seen by friends more than 1.5 km away.

but! they read about it, one of them is working in the field (kinda), they had bad tests too.
the best one i took part in was at night, and got a guard on duty to come look for debris
thinking there was a terror rocket attack, we had fun before telling the truth.

3-some tests ended like yours. try to do it in open areas, or have plenty of time and space to runaway.
videos to follow later.
Yeah, I need to get a camera so I can take pictures/video of my projects. If they put a gps unit inside it, as long as the parachute works they should be able to track it easily.

My project I have planned and set to build this weekend is a forge/foundry. I have a nice forge/ smelting station drawn up on paper. The materials are ready. I am however waiting on my anvil, I couldn't find one locally so I had to order it online. I want to make a homemade cat necklace for my girlfriends birthday, but the general consensus is my first 3 attempts at making a mold for the cat pendant, do not look like cats :( apparently fine detail carving is not one of my talents yet.