time what time is it???? (resolved and then some)

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

BTW the forums show as -1 for me, e.g. my post says 8:46 when it's 20:46...
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Mat-d-rat wrote:Are you saying ABC is always an hour out for you? When you go into ABC (old records are fine) it has a Timezone in the "Edit" section, telling you the time it thinks it it). Is that right or wrong for you?
ABC reads the correct time when its set to "-8 PST". But on the west coast in Pacific time we are currently Daylight time which is -7 MST/PDT so if we choose that then ABC would be off an hour. Probably why most forums dont list PST/PDT/MST/MDT/CST/CDT/EST/EDT times and only list -8/-7/-6/-5/-4

Basically we have to choose the wrong GMT -8 (when its really GMT-7) for us to get the correct battle times during the summer. The forum software gets it right.

If you have ABC automatically adjust from Standard to Daylight, then the GMT -X label also needs to change equally and not be static.

I'm guessing ABC switches to Standard time in the Fall and still reads GMT "-8 PST" which it then would be correct as we will then be in PST (Pacific Standard Time) and -8; rather than the current PDT (Pacific Daylight Time) and -7.

I think you have the coding right for the selectable labels for when we are in winter standard time. But the labels arent correct for selecting when we are in summer daylight time.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Mat

Mine is right. With ABC set at GMT-8 and the forums set at GMT-7. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't think the forum is adjusting for DST, but ABC is.

And I quote from ABC again: -8 PST (Sat 8 Jul 2006 13:19 Daylight saving is in effect +1 hour)

That is the right time for my local time zone. No problem. But to get the forums time right, I had to change over to -7 in my forum profile. That's where the glitch is, no adjustment for DST. Not automatic anyways.

Winter :D
ImageImage
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

StarLord wrote:My ABC is ok, I have set it to -5 EST (that's my timezone) and it have the good hour, and the Daylight saving is in effect.
You are not in EST (Eastern Standard Time) right now. You are currently in EDT (Eastern Daylight Savings Time). EST and EDT are not the same GMT -X while they are the same time zone. If you were always in EST then you would never change your clock. You only change your clock by an hour when you move into EDT and back in EST.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Winter_Lion wrote:Mat

Mine is right. With ABC set at GMT-8 and the forums set at GMT-7. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't think the forum is adjusting for DST, but ABC is.

And I quote from ABC again: -8 PST (Sat 8 Jul 2006 13:19 Daylight saving is in effect +1 hour)

That is the right time for my local time zone. No problem. But to get the forums time right, I had to change over to -7 in my forum profile. That's where the glitch is, no adjustment for DST. Not automatic anyways.

Winter :D
Grumble, grumble...

The forum gets it right with setting it to -7, per the first post link and any other time conversion website/resource. The glitch is on ABC.
http://atm.geo.nsf.gov/ieis/time.html
Summertime (Daylight savings time) for those states that observe daylight savings time. For those that do not, use the standard time table all year:

GMT EDT CDT MDT PDT
difference -4 -5 -6 -7
ABC should be reading (without changing its internal equation)
-7 PDT (Sat 8 Jul 2006 13:19 Daylight saving is in effect)
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Assuming the internal equation of ABC is correct in changing from Standard and Daylight time twice a year, then this could be corrected by relabeling the selectable zones.

instead of:
-8 PST change it to -8/-7 PST/PDT Pacific
-7 MST change it to -7/-6 MST/MDT Mountain
-6 CST change it to -6/-5 CST/CDT Central
-5 EST change it to -5/-4 EST/EDT Eastern

GMT does not change for daylight savings as its a constant. You have to factor in what Daylight saving does in relation to that constant.

What changes is if we are in Standard time or in Daylight time. For the west coast, while we are in Standard time its GMT -8, while we are in Daylight time (currently) its GMT -7.

Hence when we set our clock ahead an hour (+1) for Daylight we are no longer Standard GMT-8, we become GMT -7 (-8+1).

When we set our clock back an hour (-1) for Standard, we are no longer GMT-7, we are GMT -8 (-7-1). Its straight forward math.

If we didnt observer Daylight then it would always be Standard and never change from -8 (never change our clock). But we do observe Daylight and thus changes by 1 hour from -8 to -7 and back.
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

That is what ABC does, it gets GMT then adds 1 hour if needed to apply dls.

Code: Select all

function timeoffset() {
	global $daylightsaving;
	if ($daylightsaving=='false') {
		return 0;
		}
	  else {
	  	return 1*60*60;
	  	}
}

function get_time($localtimeoffset) {
	$utctime=strtotime(gmdate("Y-m-d H:i:s",time())); // get gmtime
	return $utctime+timeoffset()+((-12+$localtimeoffset)*3600); // regular format
	}

// for info only
	$timearray=array("-12 IDLW","-11 NT","-10 HST","-9 AKST","-8 PST","-7 MST","-6 CST","-5 EST","-4 AST","-3 ART","-2 FDT","-1 CVT","0 GMT","+1 CET","+2 EET","+3 MSK","+4 GST","+5 PKT","+6 BDT","+7 JT","+8 CCT","+9 JST","+10 KDT","+11 SBT","+12 NZST");
LocalTimeoffset is from 0-24 depending on your time zone, GMT is 12 for eaxmple, and EST is 7.
My software
Free reminders by email
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

That internal code is correct. Its the labelling thats off and can hopefully be easily changed by editing the text string.

-8 PST (Sat 8 Jul 2006 13:19) would only be displayed during the winter while we are in Standard time.

When we are in DLS during summer. A true/false or if/then of DLS should do it.
-7 PDT (Sat 8 Jul 2006 13:19 Daylight saving is in effect)

This would remove the confusion of why in the forum profile you select -7 and ABC you select -8 during daylight savings. And probably -8 for both forum and ABC during standard time.

It also removes the confusion when Europeans say to meet at 17:00 GMT and people are scratching their head if they should be showing up at 10:00 local time (17-7) or 9:00 local time (17-8).

I'm assuming something like this would do the first part.
// for info only
$timearray=array("-12 IDLW","-11 NT","-10 HST","-9 AKST","-8/-7 PST/PDT Pacific","-7/-6 MST/MDT Mountain","-6/-5 CST/CDT Central","-5/-4 EST/EDT Eastern","-4 AST","-3 ART","-2 FDT","-1 CVT","0 GMT","+1 CET","+2 EET","+3 MSK","+4 GST","+5 PKT","+6 BDT","+7 JT","+8 CCT","+9 JST","+10 KDT","+11 SBT","+12 NZST");
Last edited by Ash2Dust on Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

Better now?
My software
Free reminders by email
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

It still shows we are -8 when we are really/truly currently GMT -7. I edited my previous post with examples.
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Ash2Dust wrote:You are not in EST (Eastern Standard Time) right now. You are currently in EDT (Eastern Daylight Savings Time). EST and EDT are not the same GMT -X while they are the same time zone. If you were always in EST then you would never change your clock. You only change your clock by an hour when you move into EDT and back in EST.
Bah, my windows clock is always set on (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time at any moment of the year but the hour automaticaly adjust when you have daylight time or not. So I guess that my timezone stay GMT-05:00 anyway... You dont switch timezone because the daylight time is in effect no?
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

StarLord wrote:Bah, my windows clock is always set on (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time at any moment of the year but the hour automaticaly adjust when you have daylight time or not. So I guess that my timezone stay GMT-05:00 anyway... You dont switch timezone because the daylight time is in effect no?
Correct you dont actually change a physical time zone.

But you do change from Standard time EST to Daylight time EDT which changes your relation to GMT by 1 everytime you clock(s) are change for you automatically or manually.

This is why people are discussing that the daylight saving should be done away with and no one change clocks and adjust their relation to GMT.

Windows should say Eastern Standard Time rather than just Eastern Time with that -5. EST does not equal EDT. While in observing daylight time, you are in DT time and no longer in ST time.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Look at the math when you change your clocks.

Every spring at Sunday at 2:00am EST (7:00 GMT) you set your clock forward an hour to 3:00am EDT. While the time has become 3:00am for you, GMT is still at (7:00).

(7:00-3:00=4), you are now GMT-4 and no longer GMT -5 (7:00-2:00=5)

You went away from GMT-5:00 with EST to GMT-4:00 with EDT by moving your clock forward an hour.

GMT never adjusts while your relation to GMT adjusts from -5 to -4 for daylights savings.
zyphlus

Post by zyphlus »

so basically reset your profile clock until the clock on top of the forum section reads same as your CPU clock. Assuming you don't wear tin-foil hats and set your CPU clock to some crazy standard.
Zyphlus Pronounced Syphlius with a Z
The following graphic is mine
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

zyphlus wrote:so basically reset your profile clock until the clock on top of the forum section reads same as your CPU clock. Assuming you don't wear tin-foil hats and set your CPU clock to some crazy standard.
Trial and error works, but simply setting -7 for PDT in the forums will give you the correct time.