time what time is it???? (resolved and then some)

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

I think your being padantic, most forums show it in this way (VBB, IPB etc.) so it's logical to stick with what most people know.
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Would it be pedantic of me to point out that pedantic is spelled pedantic, not padantic? I had to look it up.

Having the correct basetime (GMT-x) helps people coordinate. If people use the listed ABC GMT-X during the summer to manually calculate meeting times, their math will be wrong and they'll be an hour off for the meet.

Battletimes in ABC are correct as long as people initially select the correct one each campaign. People who select -7 on the forum and -7 in ABC (only during summer) will have the wrong battletimes. During winter when people select -8/-8 they'll have the correct battletimes. With it having Pacific listed, it is more likely they select the right one for them...

True, as long as they chose the right time zone rather than the correct GMT-x, they will have the correct battletimes. ABC works pretty good and HC love it. GC uses it as a valuable tool for measuring pre-attendance. Not saying its bad work, its excellent work with a small glitch.

Thanks at least for discussing it and looking at it Mat.
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

The actual issue here is not ABC then, but the Forums. A quick look around the PHPBB forums shows that this is a common problem and issue. You need to ask the web admins to update the nuke and phpbb software... and then add a mod as phpbb2 still doesn't support dls! I'm not sure if phpbb3 covers DLS (I expect so), but then they base the timezones of UTC not GMT, although most people think they are the same thing.
My software
Free reminders by email
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

How can ABC showing that I'm in GMT -8 be right when the west coast is currently GMT -7? The time displayed in ABC is correct with GMT-8 shown because your internal code corrects (adds +1 to achieve the -7) it while displaying the incorrect GMT-8.

If I were actually GMT-8 then this post would be stamped 9:04

Current GMT is 17:04, this is the baseline for time around the world. Correct me if I'm wrong here on the GMT time.

GMT (17:04) - 8 = 9:04

GMT (17:04) - 7 = 10:04
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

Becuase you are gmt -8 +1 for DST... that's the point of daylight saving... I mean I live in the UK, and we are on BST so should I be changing my setting to GMT+1? that's the point of DLS so that not everyone has to adjust there settings, one central place and it's sorted.
My software
Free reminders by email
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

They're both right and it really is getting pedantic even for me (learned a new word, got wear it out). ABC and the forum software are both technically right. Glitch was the wrong word to use when they're both right, sorry Mat. It'll be interesting to see if the forum software automatically bumps me to GMT-8 in the fall.

GMT -8 +1
equals
GMT -7

-8 PST (Sat 8 Jul 2006 13:19 Daylight saving is in effect +1 hour)
equals
-7 PDT (Sat 8 Jul 2006 13:19)

We are in PDT and the forum has us choose the current actual GMT-7.

ABC has us choose PST whether or not we are currently in PST and adjusts by +1 when needed for DLS.