me again, audio troubles this time (RESOLVED)

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Dax_inside

me again, audio troubles this time (RESOLVED)

Post by Dax_inside »

Hi guys.

Just when i think ive got my system working as i want it i get another problem!!!

I logged onto teamspeak to play in the match tonight but couldnt be heard!

I checked to see if my mic was working by recording myself with windows audio recorder. The mix is working but for some reason its very quiet.

Ive gone through the control panel and increased my mic volumes to max, it doesnt help.

The only thing i can think that could have caused it is my new graphics card, ive switched from AGP to PCIe. So i reinstalled my creative drivers but it hasnt made a difference either.

Any other ideas? im at a total loss. I know the mic is plugged in properly, its just not picking up anything like it did before.

EDIT: one clue, ive never noticed my mic picking up sound unless i click on my 'push to talk button', but its picking up sound even when im just surfing online. i could just turn it off of course, but i never normally do.
Last edited by Dax_inside on Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
IM 1337! Y0UR A N()()B!!!!!

C6 =ImageC5 =Image C4 =Image C3 = Image
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

Did you try just restarting ts2? Seems to be abug with it doing that every so often..
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
PinkAss

Post by PinkAss »

Try to turn on the microphone boost in audio options.
Dax_inside

Post by Dax_inside »

PinkAss wrote:Try to turn on the microphone boost in audio options.
if i do that then i can hear myself better, but still not as before. Also, i get constant hissing with this turned out.

Dax_inside

Post by Dax_inside »

Mat-d-rat wrote:Did you try just restarting ts2? Seems to be abug with it doing that every so often..
doesnt seem to have made a difference mate. thanks for the suggestion though.

PeterJennings

Post by PeterJennings »

if its possible to try a different microphone, thats what I would do, just to test if its a hardware problem.
Dax_inside

Post by Dax_inside »

PeterJennings wrote:if its possible to try a different microphone, thats what I would do, just to test if its a hardware problem.
i can check that out maybe monday, but not before. i dont think its hardware though. My mic is good quality and it hasnt been phsyically damaged by anything ive done.

worth a try though when i get the chance.

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Most mics require the boost to be turned on in the control panel. BF2 seems to like to turn my mic volume to 100% no matter how many times I correct BF2 and turn the windows back down to 45% (with boost).

Anyways, hissing could be a bad cable or solder joint. Trying different mic, or trying the mic in another computer is the best diagnosis.

I've had high pitch glitches, pops, and drop to desktop with BF2 joining a server. Loading the newest Audigy 2 ZS drivers and PB updates corrected that.

If the hardware (mic) isnt the problem then uninstalling and installing motherboard chipset drivers and sound card drivers are a good start. Dont forget PB from evenbalance.com, several problems have gone away for me when I do their manual update software.
Dax_inside

Post by Dax_inside »

thinking about it this morning, normally i cant hear myself talk when i use my head phones, but i can now. could this have anything to do with it?

Interfusi0n

Post by Interfusi0n »

Dax_inside wrote:thinking about it this morning, normally i cant hear myself talk when i use my head phones, but i can now. could this have anything to do with it?
That's probably because you previously had your microphone muted in the output. Open sndvol32 and mute the microphone output then click options->properties, select the "Recording" radio button then hit OK. Make sure your microphone is the selected input device.
Dax_inside

Post by Dax_inside »

Interfusi0n wrote:
Dax_inside wrote:thinking about it this morning, normally i cant hear myself talk when i use my head phones, but i can now. could this have anything to do with it?
That's probably because you previously had your microphone muted in the output. Open sndvol32 and mute the microphone output then click options->properties, select the "Recording" radio button then hit OK. Make sure your microphone is the selected input device.
so i can mute the mic in 'output' and itll still work? i just wont hear myself?

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Correct, mute the output (playback panel) so you dont hear yourself or feedback thru speakers.

Bring up the input (record panel) and make sure the mic slider is not muted and is turned up. Thats also usually where you can find the +20db boost checkbox or properties button on the mic slider.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

I have had a few media players interfere with my audio settings in ways they weren't meant to.........Like if I muted my WinAmp pro before I shut it down it would mute the entire system and the first time you look for this problem it can drive ya nuts.

I do have similar prob to yours every now and then though. I usually switch to the opposite of what I am running, i.e. wav to direct or vice versa and shut TS all the way down, start it back up and that usually gets me going.

Also remember That BF2 audio has a lot of clout when the game is running and it will clash with TS if you choose hardware acceleration in BF2 with some cards and software emulation in other cards.

You gotta try one then the other to find out what is best for you.

But reinstalling your audio drivers and even a clean TS install is cheap insurance come battleday. Good idea to do it regular anyways considering the job it has to do.

Also if you are running a creative card, don't you have a diagnostic application and a default settings application as well? The first will tell you about missing or damaged files, the second will center all your equalizer and effects console settings that may have been misadjusted without you knowing it.

Just some ideas for you to add to the list mate. Luck to ya!

Winter :D
ImageImage
Dax_inside

Post by Dax_inside »

all fixed :)

i muted the playback bit, and added the +20Db. It seems to be working the same way it used to.

I think it must have been changed when i installed ventrillo the other day. forgot that i had done that.

Thanks for all the help guys, AGAIN.