PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE (resolved)

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

zeplin05

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE (resolved)

Post by zeplin05 »

if i change processor_architecture to IA64 will that use my 64 bit processor? instead of x86
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
ChickenSalad

Post by ChickenSalad »

Uh, not sure I understood that right (some bios setting I guess?) but you either have or don't have a 64bit cpu. So if you do have one and your pc is running, you or rather "it" is using that 64bit cpu - with all the ups (and downs) that come with that.
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

no its a registry value HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

zeplin05 wrote:no its a registry value HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment
Like CS alluded to in his post, Zep, you either have 64bit capabilities or you don't.

If your processor does, it is almost universally an option that is adjusted in System Bios at boot up, not by changing a registry setting.

My personal opinion would be that only bad things could come from trying to circumvent the bios that way and may result in windows not booting at all.

I wouldn't risk it without much more information than just that the name of a registry string.

Respects........Winter :D
ImageImage
zeplin05

Post by zeplin05 »

what it is, is that windows doesn't have 64 bit ability, unless you have the 64 bit edition.
C4Image
C3Image
C2Image
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

zeplin05 wrote:what it is, is that windows doesn't have 64 bit ability, unless you have the 64 bit edition.
You got it now! :D
ImageImage