European Server Problem

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Ramrod64

European Server Problem

Post by Ramrod64 »

madcow wrote:Nope sorry. People complaining of lag issues resulted in demo recording being turned off on the server.

It is better to satisfy the needs of many rather than satiate the wants of a few.
the lag issue are not solved :) although i got a 17 (alone) up to 25 (64) ping for some reasons the server seems to be laggy. I already heart that on also especially the uk guys had connection and lag problems with the euro server. Maybe time for a new setup and removing all unused mods on the server. Only an idea. or might be a provider problem... - but it looks like the demo recording wasn't the issue.
Last edited by Ramrod64 on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

yep, server is lagging like *****, ping is up also :@

why not kill file hosting during battles?
too many admins with open conns to server?
Losin' all your highs and lows, Ain't it funny how the feelin' goes away?
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

Ramrod64 wrote:I already heart that on also especially the uk guys had connection and lag problems with the euro server.
I'm from the UK and have never had any lag on the Euro server.
Leroy wrote:why not kill file hosting during battles?
If you see the stats from the server, bandwidth used etc, then you will see that even with the most people downloading that we have ever had there was still plenty of unused bandwidth available.

The processor and RAM uses were also very low.
Leroy wrote:too many admins with open conns to server?
We make sure that we log out of all external administration programs during a battle day. The only time that we are possibly logged into them is when we have to change maps/mods.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Nelm

Post by Nelm »

I was disconnected from the server about 4 times . and its not only me ask Mad-d-Rat, he had the same lag as i did.
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything"
p0wLe

Post by p0wLe »

I don't know how the provider structures in UK are, but if madcow doesn't have any problems and nelm/mdr have problems it might happen due to provider hardware or routing issues. I had the same problem some time ago. my neighbours(absturz,poerg and creek) were playing on the EU-GC server and I couldn't join the server. We've had different providers.
Leroy wrote:why not kill file hosting during battles?
I agree with that. Not in order to the fact that this will reduce lag, because our bandwidth is surely broad enough to handle this. Our download section is public and that's a no-no from my pov.
<i><b>“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour,the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear,<br>is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious”(V. Lombardi)</i></b>
#9 - SGT:Image
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

If we are playing custom maps then we will inevitably have some people downloading the map(s) while the battles are happening. Do you want to prevent these people from playing when they aren't even creating any lag issues at all?
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
p0wLe

Post by p0wLe »

I think you misunderstood me. Our bandwith is broad enough to handle this. All i have said, is, that i don't like the public status of our download section. GC members should always be allowed to load maps and stuff, if it is during a battle or not. But there is no need to make downloads available for non gc people. And right now our downloads are open for ALL.
<i><b>“I firmly believe that any man's finest hour,the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear,<br>is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious”(V. Lombardi)</i></b>
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

uhm, you will surely agree that any disc activity will hurt performace no matter what hw setup you have, yes?

lets fill server with 20 ppl, and have 5-10 others start dl. i guess it wont be anything but fun fun fun for those on server, but thats only my guess bcose we have bandwidth and stuff right

i dont have map? surely i wont broadcast how big **** i am bcose i dont have it. to lose 5 or to f 55 on server ? theres 6 non battle days for you to dl what you might need, wont comment further on that

theres one more thing maybe worth to look at (not sure if its same like it was with 42 servers), limitation settings on server side (stuff like bw limit per client and such)
Losin' all your highs and lows, Ain't it funny how the feelin' goes away?
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

yesterday on the nabo we had 2 news guys who had to download Blackhawkdown during we played it. We will often get a guy that is new or haven't downloaded all maps before cause he just joined one day bfore and haven't finished the poe mod
I agree that the download shouldn't be public it is quite difficult to lock them in the wiki, it is the most comfortable way to edit the downloads in the wiki but the locking is a problem.

The provider issue or maybe a setup issue should be still the problem cause I also have more problems in the past with the european server (you've a modified BF2 (still working on ranking)) several Connectionlosts and sudden lags although i have one of the best pings on the europe server.
Maybe reinstalling the server should solve the problem - I don't know when this happened the last time.

[I seperated the two topics to keep the overview!]
Ramrod, out!

current Campaign:
p0wLe

Post by p0wLe »

Leroy wrote: theres 6 non battle days for you to dl what you might need, wont comment further on that
I didn't load any custom map for this campaign in front of it. If I read in a post, tonight we play map xy, i will load it early enough. but I will never load all the maps by default. It means map-spam to me, because i almost won't play them a second time.
we had times, when no map was announced until 15 mins before the battle. and yes! I started my download - like I bet 20 other guys. But IN FRONT of the round. during the battle are almost some guys who join later. And you won't recognize it on the server, that the few are loading the map. But as I said, I would keep our downloads in a non public area, that only members are able to access them. At the current we have no control about it. So in general it is possible, that 100 anonymous dl connections are up, while we are playing. unlikely, but possible
Mat-Moo
Executive
Executive

Post by Mat-Moo »

Yep I had lag too at certain times, and a whole load of connection probelms, and dis-connects (to the point I almost gave up). I doubt it's a server issure, more like a routing issue somewhere.
## # /\/\at-/\/\oo # ## (AKA Mat-d-Rat)
My software
Free reminders by email
Titi

Post by Titi »

Is this where to post to say the euro server has been laggy (different than usual) for me the last couple of times I've been on it?

It has.

Thread might possibly get more helpful response if put in Help Forum (New Members + Tech Support)
Philippx1991

Post by Philippx1991 »

moved to Help Forum (New Members + Tech Support)!

I had also some lag on it, but my ping is very nice!

so about 40-50!
=GC=Campaign8:Image

=GC=Campaign3:Image =GC=Campaign4:no bling bling=GC=Campaign5:Image

=GC=Campaign6:Image=GC=Campaign7:Image
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

The internet isn't static. Conditions change daily. Ping isn't the only criteria for lags. There are so many factors involved. On Server, On Client and On the whole way inbetween. I am sorry for the ones that do have problems. If they find out the problems are somewhat close (within 3 hops) to the euro server I'll open a ticket so our hoster can check with it's upstream providers. If it's further away: bad luck. Try talking to your ISP.

Check modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12163

It shows load etc. on the server when 23 people were downloading. The Downloads simply don't mean anything to the server. If the server lags it's not due to Disk IO caused by people downloading. Writing uses up more resources so disabling demo recording certainly helps BF2 (even though we had it on and nobody noticed doh!). BF2CC Client needs to be closed (aka disconnected from the deamon, not just minimized) to not affect BF2 Server performance.

Even a full server doesn't use more than 500megs ram and 70% cpu (of one core, bf2 doesn't support smp). To everyone else still "feeling" lag: Please read Le Malade imaginaire by Molière ;-) EDIT smiley added by sushi
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

not solved. comparing to other online bf2 server the server is more laggy then others. Whenever I joined our server although I'm just the only user it is lagging (put my gfx setting to minimum to see if these causes problems, but it doesn't).
I heared the laggy problem nearly every Battleday over TS of many other members who where playing, so I'm not the only one who noticed that.

So the problem is not solved with your last answer imo.
And I'm still thinking that someone should do a full reinstall the bf2 server. Removing all unused Mods. this might solve the problem if not ok but we can give it a try, or not? Might be that some of you don't noticed the server lags cause you are only used to play on gc battledays.

To save time I already looked up a wiki link which you can use for the next answer EDIT: www. I shall not stear up things part II (sushi)
Ramrod, out!

current Campaign: