Eek video driver? issue

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

MadRat

Re: Eek video driver? issue

Post by MadRat »

Cheesy wrote: It hasnt gone any further in the last 10 minutes. The last line is multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys (it just hangs on that).

Thx :oops:
ok will try to explain what this means.

your PC is telling you it did not find a HDD.

then it is telling you it is searching for your graphics driver

because it cannot find a driver on your external HDD it just continues to search therefore it gives the impression it HANGS this is not true
its just searching for the driver that it needs before it can bootup.
Camp2 Staff Sergeant.MadRat E.C/1st Egyptian
Camp3 :Howler (Sergeant).MadRat Simian Crusader Uber Mercenaries/Armored Ape Brigade Image
Camp4: Buttermonkey(2ndLieutenant).MadRat SCUM Raiders/Tank/Monkey
Camp5:Private.MadRat Hogan's Heroes/Baker's Sneaky Bastard's
Campaign 6 : 2nd Lieutenant.MadRat Operation: X/=SAS= Special Assault Squad
Campaign 7 : Pirate.MadRat Neutrals/Pirates
Campaign 8 : Recruit.MadRat Interpol/Recruits
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

all motherboards have the ability to specify which order the drives boot

up in without it you would always get the same fault every time you switch on.

but it is more likely to be a fault with the internal HDD.
Camp2 Staff Sergeant.MadRat E.C/1st Egyptian
Camp3 :Howler (Sergeant).MadRat Simian Crusader Uber Mercenaries/Armored Ape Brigade Image
Camp4: Buttermonkey(2ndLieutenant).MadRat SCUM Raiders/Tank/Monkey
Camp5:Private.MadRat Hogan's Heroes/Baker's Sneaky Bastard's
Campaign 6 : 2nd Lieutenant.MadRat Operation: X/=SAS= Special Assault Squad
Campaign 7 : Pirate.MadRat Neutrals/Pirates
Campaign 8 : Recruit.MadRat Interpol/Recruits
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

Okay my last idea in this thread

the reason why he had this trouble that he haven't used his computer for a long time, and it looks like that the bios battery got empty and the bios setting were reseted to default.
so next time cheesy keep your system running :P ^^
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

The message is nothing about not finding a harddrive. It is only showing you what file it is loading (or loaded) and from what drive. Your boot drive is the default drive 0.

The option to boot from USB is not common but some motherboards have it available. If you dont have an option to boot from USB then you cant boot from USB.

Disabling 'USB boot' is separate from disabling 'USB chipset'.

Selecting 'boot from hard drive' will only boot from a drive on your IDE (or SATA) cable.

Windows will not look to other drives for drivers while booting. It looks to the drive it booted on (and the windows directory) for a file that the registry says it needs to load.

If the CMOS battery gives out then you will notice your date and time is incorrect until windows has a chance to correct it. Also BIOS will bitch that it has to load default settings.

Why this happened is not known and may not be worth looking into. The fact you were able to boot with a specific USB device disconnected would make me look at your USB drivers, or a failing USB device, or a failing USB port, or BIOS needs an update. Maybe it was a simple the external drive needed to be turned off and on because it was crippling the USB port after PGE glitched you. If it doesnt happen again, forget about it.

For piece of mind, I would do a chkdsk /r anyways and see if it finds any bad sectors. Followed with a sfc /scannow.
Total_focus_haz

Post by Total_focus_haz »

from my technical point of view its FUBAR!!

Cheesy if you want me to talk it over with you i can, i think i know the resolve to this but its not a pretty option as Ash2 Dust has mentioned above
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Just hit the F12 button when you are booting up and it will give you a list of drives you can boot from.

That is a very common boot option these days.

You always want to have the CD drive as your first choice for booting in your bios setup though. It is important, because if you have problems with your hard drive in the future, that will be the only way you can access your pc.......either through the repair console on the XP installation disc or at worst, installing windows again.

The DEFAULT setting is always the drive you installed windows from. As long as the XP disc is not in the drive when you boot, windows will boot from your hard drive automatically or your USB HD if you have it set up that way.

Warning: You don't have USB drivers installed until Windows starts up on many pc's........even now. Be careful or you will paint yourself into a corner regarding boot options.

Good luck........Winter :D
ImageImage