Samsung Syncmaster 226BW -> BF2 resolution

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

sushi
Executive
Executive

Samsung Syncmaster 226BW -> BF2 resolution

Post by sushi »

I am thinking about getting this Monitor. I got the beauty!!

The thing is it does 1680x1050 which I didn't find in the BF2 graphic settings. Does anybody have Experience with a monitor running this resolution when running BF2?

Any words of wisdom regarding the monitor in general?

Tech blabla:
The Samsung 6-series Widescreen LCD monitors is certified to meet Microsoft Vista's Premium standards. The wide 16:10 aspect ratios of these professional-level monitors make multitasking easy. There's room for more applications, multiple images and all your tool palettes. An ultra-fast 2 ms (G to G) response time is perfect for motion editing. 22.0-inch Wide Viewable Size 0.282mm Pixel Pitch 300 cd/m2 Brightness (typical) 3000 - 1 DC Contrast Ratio (typical) 2 ms (G to G) Response Time (typical) 160 Degrees Horizontal and Vertical Viewing Angles 1680 x 1050 Native Resolution 16 - 10 Aspect Ratio Analog & Digital Interface Analog RGB, TMDS Digital Link, DVI Input Video Signal Separate H/V, Composite, SOG Sync Type 15-pin D-sub, DVI-D Input connectors 55 Watt (max), Less than 2 watt (DMPS mode) Power Consumption 100 mm VESA Wall Mount DDC 2B Plug and Play MagicTune with asset management, MagicSpeed, MagicColor, MagicBright 3 Windows, Windows Vista, Mac, Sun DVI (HDCP), Swivel and tilt Dimensions Width 20.3 x Height 16.6 x Depth 8.6 inches (without stand - 20.3 x 2.5 x 13.9 inches) Weight - 16.3 pounds
Last edited by sushi on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MorpheusPT

Post by MorpheusPT »

there's 2 things that you need to focus, when buying an LCD monitor.

:arrow: Resolution

:arrow: The response time

The resolution is important for everything, as you know.

The response time if very important when youre playing FPS's, for instance.

Any monitor with a response time of 5ms+, is kinda crappy regarding First Person Shooters.

The current CRT monitors don't have a response time (or have a response time of 0ms, as you wish), so that's why i'm keeping mine :)
Morph
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

BF2 doesn't support widescreen resolutions due to the unfair advantage that would offer (being able to see more). You would have to run it at a standard resolution and all it would do is stretch the image. I have a moitor running 1440 x 900 and BF2 running 1280 x 960. You get used to the stretchiness, and I found that it has improved my gameplay because targets are wider (EA didn't think about that. muppets).
gribble

Post by gribble »

since you understand the german language :) -> http://www.prad.de/board/board.php?boardid=266
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

These monitors are good and cheap. For me personaly size of the pixel is extremely important. And there is no visual difference between 8 and 5 ms.
You can use any resolution you want in BF2 without streching the picture.
This: Image
will only cut off a bit of the picture you see in BF2.
Last edited by .Sup on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

I've tried playing with the resolution customized to 1680x1050, but I couldn't get used to it (I'm a creature of habit, I suppose). The resolution is great for on your desktop, though.. especially if you're into coding or graphic design or anything that might require multitasking.. you have a lot of desktop real estate to play with!
Hi!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

The less response time means less ghosting. Its a measurement of the the crystal twisting/untwisting. For 20ms, you'd only notice it if you were to spin very quickly. For 10ms, I really doubt you'd notice it.

For me, I find it harder to pinpoint shots at higher resolutions.

Also, you will lose FPS as you go up in resolution as your video card has to render more pixels. Getting a better video card would resolve that.

Whatever you play/display on your LCD screen will look good at the monitors native resolution. While CRT's will look good at any resolution you pick.
MorpheusPT

Post by MorpheusPT »

CRT's FTW!
Morph
Total_focus_haz

Post by Total_focus_haz »

Yeah for gaming 5ms max. i have 2 off these

http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do?ac ... l=NOTHING

hooked up and running at the same time, put i have just been given a big bonus so splashing out on this

http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do?ac ... l=NOTHING#

cant wait!!!!

The top monitors run 1440 x 900 which isnt bad but in game it quality and the resolution is amazing though good grahpics cards help and you need to run at a top spec or u will lag something chronic!!
SSnake_Plissken
Location: an obscure body in the S-K system, known to its inhabitants as the planet Earth

Post by SSnake_Plissken »

Wow, thanks for that tip SUPR3, my 3007WFS has a native screen resolution of 2560x1600, and I've always wanted to give it a try. :twisted:

However I suspect it's going to be too difficult to play and I'll end up reverting back to something that my eyes can use. :roll:
"The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence."
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Curious how many people are using the biggest resolution they can

compared to people who downsize the resolution for seeing what that pixel is across the field or increasing fps.

:Side note, people who get headaches or eyestrain from the refresh on a CRT, will feel a big difference with LCD. Plus who knows how much radiation we are being bombarded with staring at a CRT. Brighter a CRT is, the more likely X-rays are hitting you. Also, you'll save $$$ per year on the wattage difference. I figure I would save $200 a year on my electric bill if I went LCD.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

thanks guys, decision made - new monitor sitting on my desk.

supr3, thanks for the how to start game in individual resolution manual.

But how do I get the game to set the shaders correctly?

And is there a trick to see what resolution the game is actually running?
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Hmm.. well set your graphics settings in game except the resolution. When you change your resolution using the manual above, every time you click properties on your bf2.exe you will see on what res. it is set.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

I take you mean when I click the icon on the desktop right?

but it doesn't seem to influence the resolution ingame :cry: At least it doesnt't show the addopting shaders window when loading....
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

sushi the desktop icon is only a shortcut. u need to modify the bf2.exe in bf2 folder where you installed the game using the manual. and when you are done modifying then you can send that .exe to desktop and make it as an shortcut. so first delete the exsisting shortcut on your desktop.