(very) slow loading of new maps

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

SF007

(very) slow loading of new maps

Post by SF007 »

Hi, I am already a veteran at GC..., and enjoy playing with you team always. I have this kind of old problem....
Loading a new map, whenever a new map loads up takes agesssss. can take like 3-4 minutes sometimes.
Question: is this the correct performance for you guys as well ?
I have added a new clean and very quick HD to eliminate any problem with the HD speed or fragmentation, but the performance did not improve that much.
I have a ASUS P4P800 M/B, 2.66 MHZ P4 and 1 GByte memory, so I believe that should have carried the game and map loading quite effectively, but it' s not....

Does anybody have the same experience, else, does anybody have any idea ?
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Sometimes a map loads faster than for me than it does to a guy with faster computer. But i take care of my system a lot (registry cleaners, spyware removers, defragmentation) How long has it been since you reinstalled windows?
Download this program: http://www.ccleaner.com/
I use it 1 a year and it makes an old windows installation new.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

For faster BF2 map loads, I would recommend

More RAM
Faster CPU
Faster HDD that BF2 is loaded on.

All 3 affect the map loading/verifying process. You didnt list the specs of the HDD, but the rest of the system is showing its age and am not surprised at 3-4 minute load times. Got a buddy with a 2.0GHz CPU and it takes him about 5-10 minutes. He complains the map is half over when he gets in.
Total_focus_haz

Post by Total_focus_haz »

Few things already mentioned contribute to slow map loading but really can also be the graphics cards and the video settings you run, high spec will take ages to load espically on heavy terrain maps, poe2 can load for ages if this is really high.

recommend trying your vid settings on low and see if any quciker if not maybe more ram to be bought 1gb minimum
SF007

More RAM !- More PC - More money ....

Post by SF007 »

OK. so now I am equipped with P5-E4400, 2GB RAM, and ATI X800XL and SATA2 hard disks. saw slight improvment in map loading....

For those of you who might be interested.....

I have not reinstalled BF2 and SF and whatever maps (which could take ages with all of the patches) .... I copied it from the old computer (different drive name as well...) and.... copied relevant registery entries using a registery editor (not regedit!) .... and now it works like a charm !
ButchLion

Post by ButchLion »

all multiplayer games are ram hungry so boot up as much ram as you can. Also video card is a must 7800 nvidia is ave anything better is good.
BECOME A VOTABLE MEMBER!!!!
See ya in Da Game, Da Butcher
ButchLion.Image
aka [TRG]Butchvonlio, C4 PFC, C5 PFC, C6 CPL, C7 LTC , C8 Neutral, C9 Kpt., C10 Comodore, C11 lcp, C12 lcp, C13 lcp