Vista PB Problems

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

CountBelasarius
Executive
Executive

Vista PB Problems

Post by CountBelasarius »

In an effort to determine what is causing the PB problems a few people have been suffering from lately could anyone with Vista post about any Punkbuster problems they've had lately.

Two PC's each running 32 bit Vista with no firewalls, anti virus or windows defender on.

On one PC I kept getting kicked for handshaking failed. I have to maually activate the PnkBstrB from my pb BF2 folder to get it working.

On the other PC I had another set of problems. All I have to do on that one is to go to Task Manager, manually stop PnkBstrA and then restart it.

*Note- My problems are resolved and I can help if you catch me on TS.

If you lack either of the PB exe's...

images/madcow/pnkbstra.exe

images/madcow/pnkbstrb.exe
lC8l - GL*FSG
lC9l - WY*COL
lC10l - GE=EMP
lC11l - 11BCPT
lC12l - AH*BRG
lC13l - CU-SGT
BF3 C1 - [WH2]
BF3 C2 - [TA]
BF3 C3 - [TA]
BF3 C4 - [TA]
BF3 C5 - [TA]
BF3 C6 - [TA]
BF4:C1 [☭] Komandir
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

This could help answer some of your questions too...

http://www.punkbuster.com/index.php?page=pbsvcfaq.php
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

I had a problem where I would be kicked from a BF2 server immediately after loading the map with the message "RESTRICTION: Service Communication Error: PnkBstrA.exe."

I contacted PB about the issue since I couldn't find any working solution online. Here is there reply:
PB Cust Serv wrote:Note #2: If you are being kicked for a "Communication Failure" it is likely that something on your computer is preventing the PnkBstr services from communicating with each other.

A common cause for this is a security or anti-virus program. McAfee and other popular security/firewall programs need to be told to allow the PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB services to run without restriction (even if you turn them off while playing). Until you locate and remove the restrictions on PnkBstrA and B, you will continue to be kicked for this.

If you've never manually installed the PunkBuster services, you might want to try that as well. Download the service installer from http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe and run it. You might also want to reinstall the services using this tool.

Please make sure that both PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe services are set to start automatically every time your computer starts. Go to: Start menu, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and change PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB to start automatically.
Downloading and reinstalling the PB service from that link fixed my problem. I did not have to configure my anti-virus or firewall at all.

BTW I'm running the 64-bit version of Vista.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Shrapnel wrote: BTW I'm running the 64-bit version of Vista.
How does it run? I have the DVD to install it, but I haven't gone there yet due to my paranoid ears hearing all kinds of rumors about it having hardware conflicts and driver signing issues, lack of 16-bit backwards compatibility, etc. But I'm sooooo driven by my geekiness to install it :P
Hi!
TheHumanShield

Post by TheHumanShield »

No problems to report here with 64 bit vista. You cannot install unsigned drivers so make sure you can find official 64 bit drivers for all your hardware before you switch.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

I've had no problems with it Goggles. All of my hardware installed real easy though I do have all new stuff so I can't speak to backwards compatibility. I also never installed the 32-bit version so I can't say how much performance boost there is. :?

I feel like it's faster though... 8O

The PB issue is the only one I've had with Vista so far. Other than the annoying thing where it asks you three times if you really want to do something everytime you make a folder or move a file or something. :roll:
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]