problem with connection?

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Reaper13

problem with connection?

Post by Reaper13 »

I am having a problem with playing BF2. Everytime I play I get choppy play and then a "problem with connection" error shows up and it disconnects. Its been doing this for a week or so now. I dont have a problem with internet connection any other time (outside of game). I reinstalled BF2 and same thing. I have an adsl measured at 2500 down / 750 up. How much throughput does the game take? I have an internet server on the same connection, two wan ip's, server on one and my machine on other. I am worried that I will have to add a second connection line. I can upgrade to 4000 down/750 up, will it help (increasing just my down speed). But could it be just my windows machine? Athlon 64 3000+ 1 gig dc ddr400, radeon 9800 pro win xp home.
I have routers on both wan ips. Do I need to open a port on the router?
HELP
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Your adsl is more than adequete to play my friend. But you might request a line check and do your own ping rate and packet loss test.

A site called dslreports.com is one of the best free resources on line for broadband users. Free speed, tweak and security tests, tools, broadband router setup tips and settings for all major hardware, lots of expert advice and even specialized forums for your particular ISP.

I run my game through a linksys wireless router through a cable modem and have four pc's using it, sometimes music and video being downloaded or some huge game and play online all the while, I have only had one disconnect, for old punkbuster file.

Check em out, mate. I run a 7megs down and 1megs up cable connection and I count on that site to keep it that fast and hacker free but usable firewall as well.

Winter :D
ImageImage
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

I love DSLreports.com

This post prompted me to check it out, got a test done and they made one simple suggestion to connection (had to raise my rwin range) and my down speed doubled 8O

I started at 2220 down and 275 up and now i have: 4231 down and 275 up

I'm a happy camper lol
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Yeah, I have a problem where after anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes of play the game begins to get choppy then disconnects, apparently I'm not the only one with this problem and if you do a google search you will an alarmingly high amount of people with the same problem, like them I have no problems with any other online games, or internet problems, I've updated punkbuster, and the game, I've tried reinstalling everything, the only thing I haven't done is reformatted, which many people have tried , but it didn't help them either, guess I'll wait and keep on messing with settings.
tripleX

Post by tripleX »

Well to troubleshoot I would make my home network as simple as possible, ie plug my pc directly into my cable/dsl modem and then play the game and see if you get the same results. INternal firewalls and anti-virus should all be taken down. I would also reformat and reinstall windows with pretty much the simplest software/hardware config needed to play the game.

Other ways to troubleshoot the problem is to compare to a friend's experience who may have the same internet provider. That may help eliminate your internet provider as the culprit.

Other than that and the other suggestions, there just might be some inherent incompability between BF2 and certain HSD providers and/or pc setups that needs to ironed out.
Reaper13

Post by Reaper13 »

There is no way I will disable my software firewall and antivirus just to play the game, I learnt my lesson. My hardware firewalls get constantly attacked. I want to reformat my machine, its been almost a year, but I have A LOT of backup to do. I am thinking of having a second machine for regular stuff and a dedicated one for games. I cant plug my machine to the adsl modem directly, my MAC addresses are registered with my isp, and changing them would have me pull a different ip. Also, I need a router for the other machines connected to the wan ip. If anyone knows a port that has to be opened in my router....? I adjusted my rwin and it helped gameplay, but not my measured connection speed.
sharpshooter

Post by sharpshooter »

this is gonna sound like a right noob, but i had this problem, and i sorted it by turning off the internal firewall on my router, dont know if it will fix ur problem, it's worth a look though.
i'm a man of few words so i'll just say this
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

If you go to the location where BF2 is stored on your pc, normally, C;\Program files\EA games\BF2., you will find a folder called Help. It has many of the tried and true fixes for BF and medal of honor problems of the past and is actually troubleshooting charts at the EA website. These help files just cut out the searching and advertisements and take you straight to a fix.

I have been saying it for years now, The maker of your game is the true expert on getting it to play right and the only other motivated entity besides yourself to get it playing right. EA has good help files and cyber techs. I have even contributed files on how to remove BF42 from your registry after you mistakenly tried to remove game with XP program remover instead of ea remover. Those fiiles are still helping guys two yrs after I wrote them. lol.

If you ever made that mistake and pulled help files from ea games that list registry items to remove bby number to enable game to reinstall, that was me. 8)

Gravis,
You show signs of being a guy that learns everyday and willl eventually rule in cyberspace. Glad you listened, many peeps dont have the two minutes it takes to just check it out and run off randomly into the ether, mad as hell and feeling like someone owes em something. We all owe each other, but we owe ourslelves the self respect you achieve by taking responsibility for your own journey, know what I mean?

I am thinking you do, mate 8)

ImageImage
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

I get these "there is a problem with your connection" messages pretty much since the first day I played the game. Nothing realy helped, I even phoned EA twice and ´did the dirty things they made me - don't make me bring back these memories... hurting aaaarrghhhh..

Check out these links to the respective posts:

modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5595
modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5475
tripleX

Post by tripleX »

Ports to open are in your BF2 manual and probably readme file.
Gravis

Post by Gravis »

=GC=Winter_Lion wrote: Gravis,
You show signs of being a guy that learns everyday and willl eventually rule in cyberspace. Glad you listened, many peeps dont have the two minutes it takes to just check it out and run off randomly into the ether, mad as hell and feeling like someone owes em something. We all owe each other, but we owe ourslelves the self respect you achieve by taking responsibility for your own journey, know what I mean?

I am thinking you do, mate 8)

I try to learn something everyday, and this is best place i have found for it :)
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

tripleX wrote:Ports to open are in your BF2 manual and probably readme file.
Also read Brummies Thread regarding ports