no punkbuster in add or remove programs list...

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

matsif
Executive
Executive

no punkbuster in add or remove programs list...

Post by matsif »

well here we go again:

there is no punkbuster in my add or remove programs list. I thought that it was a seperate program that got installed with the game that you could uninstall whenever you wanted to. I have pb files for cod2 and bf2 folders, but shouldnt there be something in program files and/or on the add or remove programs list?

-the lost and confused one
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
PeterJennings

Post by PeterJennings »

I don't have punkbuster in program files or in add/remove programs either, I don't think thats a big problem.
Charger

Post by Charger »

Matsif,
If I remember correctly, all you do is delete/remove the pb folder. According to their website, this is the only location that contains any Pbunkbuster files. After spending some time reading their site, I've come to the conclusion they are REALLY snobbish arsholes. Sure they will help if possible, but should you run into a problem that conflicts with other software the answer is "Ask the manuf. to change the software." They have the online gaming monopoly and aren't afraid to play that card.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

PB is only a mod for games. Deleting the folder supposedly removes it.

Since its a mod, it will never truly protect the BF2 engine, and hackers will always have fun.

Also, PB uploads files from your hard drive that are not BF2 or PB related.

But, dont get pissed at PB, they do alot less snooping than everyone that installed Gamespy.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

yea but the thing is I would really like to get back into gc play, and I dont expect you guys to take pb off the servers just for one person, and I thought that uninstalling pb and reinstalling it seperately would get bf2 working and I just didnt see it. Also I tried talking to pb, and after 2 weeks I gave up on them replying.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

to start out small:

Your BF2 is running in singleplayer mod? Your BF2 is running in multiplayer on unranked servers with PB disabled and you are able to start a LAN-server session?

You are running the latest patch of the game?

Your firewall workes fine and has no Probs with Pb whatsover?

You renamed your Pb folder and checked what happened?
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

sushi25 wrote:to start out small:

1.)Your BF2 is running in singleplayer mod? Your BF2 is running in multiplayer on unranked servers with PB disabled and you are able to start a LAN-server session?

2.)You are running the latest patch of the game?

3.)Your firewall workes fine and has no Probs with Pb whatsover?

4.)You renamed your Pb folder and checked what happened?
^added numbers for ease of answering

1.)runs fine in singleplayer, works fine on non-pb servers, havent tried LAN-server session

2.)yes

3.)it didnt before, so I dont know why it would now

4.)what would that do? havent done that
Charger

Post by Charger »

Matsif,
Back a few weeks ago, when I had my problems, I remember some strange things in the Event Viewer. Something along the lines of a "service" starting that wasn't listed among my services. It had a weird name like M4972kVA or comparible, I forget the exact name. I googled it and found maybe a dozen entries only. Yep, they ALL were BF2 / Pb related. As I search back through my logs now, I cannot find any references anymore. ???
Is there anything strange in your App/System Logs?
speed_demon

Post by speed_demon »

I dont have BF2 installed or anywhere near me (for reasons to be kept in the dark) but I remember you could install/uninstall PB for BF1942 using the second BF42 disk. I dont know if you can "Open" or "Explore" the BF2 DVD...but try it. You may find something of use. Take a peak in the folders and you might find some PB stuff...even a .exe to uninstall?????

Oh and if you have the CD version...then check all 40 CD's for those files.
GC BF1942:
5A|2|Pfc|*
6A|M|Capt.
7R|1|Sgt.*

@8-Maj.
GC BF2:
C1: US|SF|Lt.
C2: 3E*PVT
C7: BA*CPL
C8: ]C[Csm
C9: Neutral
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

charger, do you remember what the source was on that entry in event viewer? I found nothing of interest in there. Being my problems started right after I wiped my hd, I checked all the way back then first, and found nothing.

also, could the problem be that I installed my wireless connection card's drivers without removing the card first? I heard that installing the drivers witht the card installed could make problems but everything else worked fine so I didnt worry about that too much. Is it possible that installing the drivers with the card in caused pb to not accept my IP or something?
Charger

Post by Charger »

Matsif,
This is exactly what I encountered.
http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum ... =1446&PN=1

"The 705db3q0 service was successfully sent a start control."

I noticed this phrase in my event log soon after having major crash problems. I also noticed a .dmp file under "MyDocuments/Battlefield2/dmp, actually there was about 50 of them. I did find a virus. Removed it and that day the 1.3 server patch hotfix (not original 1.3) the one that fixed the multiplayer server search was issued at 7:00 pm EST.
After all that, everything worked fine. As I search my event log now, all entries pertaining to the 705db3q0 service have magically been erased!??
I think you may have a different problem.