RAM Upgrade

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Kevanova2005

RAM Upgrade

Post by Kevanova2005 »

Hey guys this is an eezy peezy thing for those who know but that person is not moi.

I have a Dell Dimension 5000 (Xmas Prezzie not my choice) and the only problem with it is that it has 512Mb of RAM. I managed BF2 ok with it but it's causing a nightmare with 2142.

My PC:

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R)4 CPU 3.20Ghz
Mainboard: Dell Inc. 0W5363
Bus: X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB FireWire/1392 i2c/SMBus
Memory: 511MB DDR2-SDRAM
Chipset: Dell Computer Corp 82915G/GV/GL/P/PL/GL
Video Adapter: RADEON X300 Series

So here's my questions:

- Would upgrading to 1Gb be worthwhile or should i be looking at 2Gb?
- How do i know which RAM works with my system ?
- How much should i be expecting to pay for it ?

To anyone who can help it would be much appreciated.

Keva.
Last edited by Kevanova2005 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

well kev I am certainly not an expert, but you definately need DDR2 RAM, which is more expensive, and if you have the slots for it, definately go for 2 GB. you can get away with 1, but I like having 2 so I can run WMP, xfire, ts, tso, and other crap while playing.

see here for an extra gig, which is gonna be about 100 US, not sure on euros

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820220145
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Charger

Post by Charger »

Dell's website (support) can tell you exactly which type RAM you need. Type in your service tag# and they'll walk you thru the rest.
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

2GB are worth every penny. The speed up you will see will simply blow you away. DDR2 is the memory you need. There are modules available in different bus speeds e.g. DDR2 PC2-5300, DDR2-6400 (or other notations like DDR2-800, DDR2-533). The more the better (and more expensive of course) but doesn't make too much of a difference performance wise. If you buy too fast your computer will use the modules at the speed he is capable off, if you buy too slow modules it will run the modules with that speed. Try to get at least the speed your computer is able to run memory at. Be sure to buy either two identical modules or better yet a kit (2x 1024mb modules). Check http://www.crucial.com/uk/ and then compare prices where you get modules you need for a reasonable price.
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
Rickey

Post by Rickey »

just make sure you get the right voltage and timings on the DDR2 ram. The Mobo's are REALLY picky with DDR2, and you'll be scratching your head for days trying to figure it out. I would try to match whatever type you have with what you are going to get. The difference you should notice from 512mb to 1G will be pretty substantial. 2G's seems pretty standard for gaming rigs lately however, so if you can afford it, I would go ahead and grab two dual channel 1G sticks (2gigs total). If I remember correctly, between $220 and $290 USD for 2 gigs of ddr2... If you can wait, there are usually some much better sales, especially between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

PS: nothing at all wrong with a Dell, no reason to hang your head. :)
Interfusi0n

Post by Interfusi0n »

ph1l0r wrote:If you buy too fast your computer will use the modules at the speed he is capable off, if you buy too slow modules it will run the modules with that speed.
Really? I'm pretty sure that faster modules work in a slower mobo, but slower modules won't work in a faster mobo.
Check http://www.crucial.com/uk/ and then compare prices where you get modules you need for a reasonable price.
definitely check crucial.com like phil suggests
They have a memory advisor thing that can tell you exacly what kind of ram you need, much like the dell website probably does.
ph1l0r
Executive
Executive

Post by ph1l0r »

Interfusi0n wrote:Really? I'm pretty sure that faster modules work in a slower mobo, but slower modules won't work in a faster mobo.
As long as it is the same type the ram will work. If you board is able to use DDR2 with 800mhz and you stick in DDR2 with 533mhz it will work but only at 533. Worked for me since SD Ram times. PC-100 in a system capable of PC-133 ;-)
just call me phil on ts, ingame, wherever. i'll even respond to phil in real life. wooohooo!
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

ph1l0r wrote:
Interfusi0n wrote:Really? I'm pretty sure that faster modules work in a slower mobo, but slower modules won't work in a faster mobo.
As long as it is the same type the ram will work. If you board is able to use DDR2 with 800mhz and you stick in DDR2 with 533mhz it will work but only at 533. Worked for me since SD Ram times. PC-100 in a system capable of PC-133 ;-)
It's like a car in the 1930's driving on today's highways... it may not be capable of reaching the speed limit, but it's still allowed on the road ;)
Hi!
Titi

Post by Titi »

Goggles wrote:It's like a car in the 1930's driving on today's highways... it may not be capable of reaching the speed limit, but it's still allowed on the road ;)
lol ... great analogy. It works the other way also ... todays cars can't reach today's speeds on 1930 roads ... without crashing.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

It's cheaper to buy what you MIGHT need as well. If you have four slots with 256mbs in each and you want to upgrade to 2gigs, you end up having to replace all four memory banks.

If you start out with 500mbs in each slot you will not have four good memory boards sitting in a drawer going to waste besides not having to buy em twice.

Go for 2gigs if you can afford it. Spread out the mbs as much as you can and it will be loads cheaper..........A one gig board is more than twice the price of a 512mb board so fill all your slots with the smallest size that meets your goal.

You shouldn't mix Speeds or sizes if at all possible. Especially the speeds.

Some MB's will default 566 mhz DDR2 to 400 mhz if the user mixes the two but that's only some. My Dell 8400 does. Research your application and get Dell to help you. They rock at tht stuff.

Winter :D
ImageImage