ISP connection dropping out

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Charger

ISP connection dropping out

Post by Charger »

A few days ago my cable modem started "locking up". I'd get home from work and the connection would be showing a connected status. I would get errors from my browser no matter where I tried to go. A simple reboot and toggle of power to the modem would fix it, for a while. Then it would randomly lose the connection to the ISP every few hours. I checked the ISP site and no problems were reported. I checked my router's log and lo' and behold ---> I found about 2 dozen open connections to my son's computer on ports 1026-1028. This seemed peculiar to me. I made him logoff World of Warcraft and did a virus scan. 90 feckin' virus...trojanZ, etc....were found! I think I got them all off. Problem seemed to go away for a day. Last night it started again, kicked me off during a Teamspeak meeting for Interpol...sorry guys...I'm not finding anything to explain this issue. Could the viruses have been the problem before? I haven't called the ISP yet cause that's a huge pain in the arse dealing w/ those guys. Any advice?
ramboon

Post by ramboon »

I had this probs too with my older modem, but its not necessarily related to the modem. Due to your viruses it can be that some of them couldn't be removed completely or even couldn't be find. Try to format the hdd and reinstall Windows. When the problem appears again. Check the modem.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Wipe and re-install, but that can be a pain. Since its your sons machine, he may also be putting them back on as fast as you take them off.

Or get a 2nd and 3rd antivirus opinion. Free online scans.

www.antivirus.com
www.pandasoftware.com
www.bitdefender.com
www.kaspersky.com
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Ash2Dust wrote:Since its your sons machine, he may also be putting them back on as fast as you take them off.
Pff, I'm the computer expert in my house, my father or my sister would be the one to get virus! :P
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result."
-Winston Churchill
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

StarLord wrote:
Ash2Dust wrote:Since its your sons machine, he may also be putting them back on as fast as you take them off.
Pff, I'm the computer expert in my house, my father or my sister would be the one to get virus! :P
lol same here, cept it would be my brother, not sister :wink:
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
ramboon

Post by ramboon »

Hey dudes were talkin here about computervirs and I think the bes protection is Antivir vir scanner in combination of the ad-aware proffessional version.

Hope you got that problem solved Charger. :)
ChampJr

Post by ChampJr »

Reverse code the the trojans and hack the hacker...Lol j/k :lol: ... Only for sure way is to reformat and install up to date AV software... I use 4 different AVS... Of course not all running at once but each have there own ups and downs... Hope all gets fixed
ramboon

Post by ramboon »

yeah hack the heck man :wink:
Charger

Post by Charger »

I did come up with a sure-fire fix. Unplug my kid's computer from the router when our battles start! I am going to use this as leverage to get him to join =GC=....hehe....he's hopelessly addicted to WOW.

The multiple scanners seem like the right decision for now. I'll give it a week and then a re-install if no luck. Thanks guys.