Game/Teamspeak Lag [Resolved]

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

madcow
Executive
Executive

Game/Teamspeak Lag [Resolved]

Post by madcow »

So for the past week or so I've been experiencing a strange slowdown in all of my games and Teamspeak. If I try and alt+tab in Battlefield 2 for instance, I have to wait about 15 seconds (usually it's about half a second) and during that time anything that anybody says over Teamspeak I cannot hear.

I didn't remember installing anything odd but I did carry my computer around for a bit and subject it to a little shock so I thought that I must have disrupted one of the components. My first thought was my primary (windows install) hard drive since it seemed to be taking a long time to access these programs. I downloaded some benchmarking software and benchmarked my hard drives, RAM and CPU and everything was normal.

I then thought that I must have been infected with a virus so I ran my virus scanner on a thorough search of my whole computer (that took hours). It found nothing.

Today I decided that it must be something to do with my sound card since the only program other than games that seemed to be affected was Teamspeak. I took it out of my computer but that did nothing either.

I had basically given up (about 10 minutes ago) and decided to look through my processes list to see if there was anything new. I then saw pdvdserv.exe in the list and remembered that I had installed PowerDVD the other day.

Well what do you know? PowerDVD was the cause of my lag issues. For a commercial program it seems very poor of it to cause the amount of lag that it did. Perhaps there was some specific conflict with another piece of software on my computer but I guess I'll never know.

If anyone else has this program installed on their computer then be warned that it may cause a serious lag issue (after I uninstalled it my system was back to normal). It may not affect your system detrimentally but if you have that background process you might want to try uninstalling and seeing if your PC speeds up a bit.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
SSnake_Plissken
Location: an obscure body in the S-K system, known to its inhabitants as the planet Earth

Post by SSnake_Plissken »

I've read that PowerDVD has caused a lot of problems. It's best not to bother with that software until it's fixed.
"The Korova milkbar sold milk-plus, milk plus vellocet or synthemesc or drencrom, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old ultraviolence."
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Thats why they ship PowerDVD with graphics cards, to get rid of the already made copies of the program. GG cyberlink :?
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

SUPR3 wrote:Thats why they ship PowerDVD with graphics cards, to get rid of the already made copies of the program. GG cyberlink :?
Yep, I got my copy with my graphics card.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”