help! [Resolved]

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

help! [Resolved]

Post by Hitman47 »

It seems that I have exceeded my disk space and didn't notice it untill recently when the PC told me so. the disk space was: 16 kB. Now that I have made a lot of space, I restarted my PC. I logged into my account, and I found out I lost a lot of stuff like: ALL pictures, ALL music, my account in outlook express, internet explorer has no favorites and no homepage.........It's like I bought a new PC, only all games and programs are still here.

My question: can I get the stuff I lost somehow back? My OS is Windows XP.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Try doing system restore.
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

I can't, it has no checkpoint, it's like a totally new PC.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

It seems you have a lot of stuff turned off. Firstly you said you "exeded" disk space. The OS always tells you when you are low on disk space. Secondly system restore's checkpoint is on on default so this option was also turned off by user/virus. And you probably dont have your system backed up on an image? You can try with programs that restore your data after being erased. I searched and found this: http://www.google.si/search?hl=sl&q=res ... ogle&meta=
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

I was thinking it could be a virus, 'cause I got no warnings untill this happened and I didn't turn anything off myself. I'm gonna try to do something with the restore tool....
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Browse your c:\documents and settings folder and look thru all the windows accounts. You may find your old desktop, favorites, documents in one of them.
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

if there was not Hard erase maybe try this

Ontrack Easy Recovery (i think freeware(the version i have is a freeware version, the newer ones you have to pay for)) or use simulary tools

scann your pc and you can nearly recover all files if you havent overwrite the harddisk
(also working with formated partitions)

But what you need is an extra HDD where you can save the recovered files (don't save them on a partition which you wanted to recover!!!)

here is a freeware tool which i also used (worked also with flashdisks if you formated your digitalcam disk)

http://www.zdnet.de/downloads/prg/n/f/de0DNF-wc.html
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

Ash2Dust wrote:Browse your c:\documents and settings folder and look thru all the windows accounts. You may find your old desktop, favorites, documents in one of them.
I LOVE YOU ASH!!!!! It was stored there, my PC seems to have generated a new account.
Ramrod64

Post by Ramrod64 »

I think now is someone thinking about a DVD Backup :)
Ramrod, out!

Cu on Battlefield of =Global-Conflict=
current Campaign:
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

Indeed! I'm only sorry I lost all my mail from outlook express and I need to make a new account all over again. :cry: Thanks for your help guys!
Charger

Post by Charger »

I love a happy ending... :)
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

charger you dirty old man you :P
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Hitman47_088 wrote:Indeed! I'm only sorry I lost all my mail from outlook express and I need to make a new account all over again. :cry: Thanks for your help guys!
In folder options, check show hidden and system files. Then under the account you found your desktop, search for *.dbx (inbox, sent, etc)
usually under %account name%/local settings/application data/Identities/{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}/microsoft/outlook express/

and *.wab (address book).
%account name%/application data/microsoft/addressbook

notice that the 2 application data folders are different when browsing. Neither will show if you dont turn off hide hidden and system folders. Tho search should find it if you tell search to search those folders.

Just use the import feature of Outlook Express. Selecting import from an OE6 directory (or some such). Then browse to your directory where you found the *.dbx files.