Vista

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Tsumetai_Ryujin

Vista

Post by Tsumetai_Ryujin »

So... I finally installed win Vista... 64 bit version... and ran onto few small problems... like I accidentaly deleted every folder from startup... and I wold like to get them back, but i don't know how...

and i would like to know if it is somehow possible to change directory of user folders to other disk or if I could at least set those icon pictures to other folders...

EDIT: why do I have two Program Files folders? except one is (x86)
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

You do have 2 program folders which is x86 -32Bit and another being 64bit...

Vista's got a restore function too, so get back to the latest state before you deleted start folders

When done, you should try to drag and drop that user folder to that drive where you want it

sorry i can't tell you more right now, cuz i can't boot into my 64Vista right now, as there are some uploads running in XP...
Tsumetai_Ryujin

Yeah, I know 86 is 32bit, but why do I have both 64bit and 32bit folders?

I was hoping I can restore those folders without restoring the whole computer... but ok :\

And could you tell me how can I set to activate task manager directly, when I press ctrl+alt+del...

ty gomimin ^^, as always helpful...

EDIT: How can I set default view for folders on Tiles instead of Details...
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

one for 32bit executables and one for 64bit executables ;-)

for the other questions - still haven't booted Vista64 too much things i'd rather do in 32XP :-)- you might look into help files or google for Vista Keyboard shortcuts that'd be faster then waiting for me to boot Vista64
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

if you want to go into Task Manager directly, the hotkey should be ctrl-shift-esc - something I find very helpful to know :)

if you want to change your view from tiles to details, or anything else, then from within the folder do a right-click in any white space, select "view" from the pop-up menu and change to the setting you want :)
Hi!
Tsumetai_Ryujin

Goggles... I know all that already, but i wanted to open task manager directly from ctrl+alt+del...

And for changing views... ... I asked how to set default view... because when i change view in one folder, its only in that folder... I'm tire of constant changing views...

ty anyway...

btw i have some bigger problems... like booting... it seems i cant boot without vista cd... if I don't put cd in computer it says something like this
NVIDIA Boot Agent, PXE-2.0 (build 082 V1.82)
Copyright (C) 2001 NVIDIA Corporation
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent
Disk Boot Failure, Insert system Disk and Press Enter
I googled it but didn't find any solutions... ppl are saying you should change boot priority but that has no effect at all... and I even tried to reformat HDDs because maybe some boot file was lost... but still same... tried first to install only important updates from win updater... same problem... Drives are connected trough SATA cable so its notmaster/slave problem...
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent

looks like it's trying to boot over/from the network, so you have to look into BIOS whether you can disable somethinf like "NetBootRam" in your Networkchipsettings

boot by Vista CD, choose Repair boot into the partition with system, look for help (?Type in "HELP")

look for something like fixbootconfig and also fixbootrecord or fix mbr

Also you should go and get:

http://www.pronetworks.org/index.php/so ... bootpro_3/

VistaBootPro3.3 (Recommended)

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

EasyBCD 1.7.2

helps you in managing Vista mbr/boot troubles - i use it for fixing cuz i do need to install a xp after Vista sometimes and with BootPro i can adjust...

and still not booted into Vista (navmeshing in Background...) ;-)
Tsumetai_Ryujin

K, I tried to fix it trough BIOS but I didn't find anything about network...

Now I installed the Vista Boot PRO and when it started it poped put new window saying "VistaBootPRO has detected that Vista is either not installed or is installed on a hidden drive. You may expirience minor problems using VistaBootPRO and/o making changes to your BCD Registry."

Is it maybe because I installed vista from "Vista All Versions" from "WinBeta"??

EDIT: Ok, now I noticed in BIOS boot priority I can choose Nvidia Boot Agend... but its not chosen as any of first three boot devices... first is CD, second is HDD and third is Removable...
Then, I have option to choose "Bot other device" and i disabled it... let me try to boot now...

K, now is it just says "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter"... hm... let me try to set nvidia boot agent as third boot device... um... same as on begining...

But... something buggs me now... why does it say "copryright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation"... Intel?? I can't recall having anything from intel inside my computer... except if intel boutght some other companies...

(MBO: DFI Infinity NF570M2/G
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
GPU: nVidia GeForce 8800GTS G92
RAM: 2x 1Gb Kingmax 800MHz)
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

1. Go to Power Settings in Bios:
ACPI should be enabled
All HDD related should be disabled
Wake on Lan should be disabled

2. Boot Sequence
a CD/DVD
b HDD
c Removable Floppy or USB

3. No thing saying RAID or Raid enabled only IDE

---------------------------------------------------------
It says Intel... cuz all three companies AMD, INtel; Nvidia have agreements
in using patents from the others that's why you see it on AMD/Nvidia boards i think
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know WinBeta - but i know there aren't any Betaversions of Vista that coud be runned yet - those i had/know of used a timerfunction that stopped them from running (i think the latest ended this february)

I myself only use legal OS
-------------------------------------------------------------------
How big is your HDD - i suggest and recommend to make it minimum 2 primary and one logical parttitions, on 1st install XP, make it run well with drivers and all first, from XP make a second primary bootable partition.

Start PC from Vista CD and install into 2cnd primary. It will install a bootmanager and integrates that boot.ini of XP into it.

When Vista and drivers are installed and both are running fine, instal BootPro on both XP and Vista.

Neverr install Vista first and then XP - XP overwries that needed Bootstuff from Vista - and it's a hell of doing to get it work again
Tsumetai_Ryujin

Bios settings were just like you told me to set them... so thats not the problem again :\
-------------------------------------
I doubt "WinBeta" has anything with beta version of OS, rather just a name of team or something...
Don't have legal version of vista yet, I just wanted to see how it all works and so far, not so good :\
-------------------------------------
I have ona HDD of 80GB and one of 250GB. 80GB HDD is system disk and I don't install anything not necesery for OS to run properly on that disk, but rather on 250GB HDD which has two partitions, one is mine and one is brothers...

If I realy don't need to, I would rather not install another OS on dual boot...
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

So you're going to install Vist64 on that 80Gig, try to install again and don't install any MS patches cuz that WinBeta Key might be blacklisted already...does it boot properly then?
Tsumetai_Ryujin

heh... ill install it tomorrow afternoon earliest... now i have much things to do... :\

i think ill rather try to download some other vista x64 HP and install that one...
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

Roger that
Tsumetai_Ryujin

I realy dont understand this now... now I installed vista ultimate... didnt update anything and same thing... ffs...
gomimin

Post by gomimin »

Can you put that 80Gig Hdd into another Computer where XP is running on another Hdd?!? So you can see if it shows there and delete it's partition from there. Put it back and run Vista Setup again
C11SCUM - Mandy
C12Panzerarmee Afrika Leutnant
C13 Neutral -Mercs
PR Team
-inactive- No BF modding = not buying - FUEA
B.I.A. for RS2V ?!?