New PC, HALP!

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Hgx

New PC, HALP!

Post by Hgx »

Hey guys, I asked haruky and he told me that you guys may help me with my new pc.
I don't know too much about this kind of things, but im looking for something good, but not super expensive, im rendering a lot of videos lately and recording obviously, so i'd like to look for something good for that kind of stuff, like 8gb ram, a good gforce graphic cards and yeah, help me guys :P
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: New PC, HALP!

Post by Bock »

Building your own is definitely the best route. Building it is the easy part. It's like piecing together LEGOs. Choosing parts that match your needs and budget is where you really want to put in some work/research.

I'd start by checking out this somewhat recent thread. And what kind of budget are you working with?

Anybody know of good e-retailers that will ship parts to Argentina?
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Im working with something around 700 US dollars, i know it's not that much, but i can't be sure about that neither since the situation here is pretty bad with dollars... (sad, really sad) So I can't buy it from outside of the country really, it'd really hard.
But I guess that something like Undisparo's laptop could work, in a desktop pc obviously.
I'll look for prices this saturday night :P
RAGEFACE7

Post by RAGEFACE7 »

RAGEFACE7
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

how to save cash, PC edition:
-you can essentially just buy the interior parts for the PC and gut your old case, putting the new hardware into the old one. reusing the case, DVD/CD drives, and even your hard drive (warning, you will have to wipe it and reinstall everything due to new drivers) will save you quite a nice sum of cash. working your new build so that you can re-use your current power supply is a good way to save ~$100 or more as well.

-don't buy a new monitor or any other peripherals unless you really need them. I mean if your working on an old 2 color CRT monitor from 1980, okay maybe its time for an upgrade, but I'm assuming your monitor is fine so there's no need to spend cash there either.

-avoid spending money on software when possible, but remember if you want 8 GB of RAM you are going to need 64bit version of windows (or linux or whatever you are using) to utilize more than 3.5 GB of it.

-generally speaking, AMD products give you performance completely on par with nvidia/intel, and are much cheaper. I've had absolutely no problems with my current rig despite me being a huge nvidia fanboy for some time now. You aren't going to truly notice the difference anyways unless you have 2 machines set up next to each other, and even then spending similar amounts on both systems are going to net you the same results.

-take full utilization of the websites rageface posted for saving some cash.

you should have no problem putting something together in that price range that can do what you want.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
AdmiralGiggles

Post by AdmiralGiggles »

Buy a SSD, seriously.
Put Windows and BF3 on it.
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

AdmiralGiggles wrote:Buy a SSD, seriously.
Normally, I'd totally agree with this, but on a budget of $700 and likely seeing higher prices than we do in the States, you'd be taking a serious hit on performance somewhere else if you're putting $60+ to an SSD.

+1 to Rageface and Matsif both.
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

AdmiralGiggles wrote:Buy a SSD, seriously.
SSD is good, but on a tight budget, I'd say he can skip out on it and invest on a better GPU or CPU.

One thing to try to not cut corners on is the PSU. PLEASE do not skimp out on a good PSU. It can ruin your PC. I highly suggest getting brand name PSU like Corsair or PC Power and Cooling.

Also, don't worry about purchasing aftermarket cooling for your hardware just yet. I've been running my stock-coolers on my parts for the past 2 years and have had no issues with them. It can save you quite a bit of money. BUT, a cheap alternative that seems to do well with cooling is the HYPER 212+. It's an air-cooler but I have heard good things about it.
Image[/url]
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

I'll probably use my old case (I have it since 2002 :P) if some shop wants to buy my old pieces (some of this stuff is almost new, power supply and ram) I could use my hard drive, but I don't think the same about my PS since it's made for a pc like this and I don't wanna have supply problems :P
I don't have to buy nothing else, only pieces, not monitor or anything like that, not even 64bits cuz I have it now.

I made this the pcpartkpicker, please don't laugh :P

http://imgur.com/1DA7a
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Hgx wrote:I'll probably use my old case (I have it since 2002 :P) if some shop wants to buy my old pieces (some of this stuff is almost new, power supply and ram) I could use my hard drive, but I don't think the same about my PS since it's made for a pc like this and I don't wanna have supply problems :P
I don't have to buy nothing else, only pieces, not monitor or anything like that, not even 64bits cuz I have it now.

I made this the pcpartkpicker, please don't laugh :P

http://imgur.com/1DA7a
I personally would suggest another pair of memory sticks and PSU

For the prices you have on there (Granted they're probably adjusted for Argentinian currency) you can probably get better ones.

Here's what I suggest for a PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... r-Supplies

For RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... top-Memory

Or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... top-Memory
Image[/url]
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

your PS won't cause you any problems if its 500W + and has two 12v lines for todays CPUs.
even if it doesn't have a 6pin or 8pin or whatever for graphics, then either your graphics comes with an adapter or you can buy one for a penny.

if it worked for 10 years its probably good :)
but if you insist to throw your money, i wont stand in the way.

for the best GPU you can afford id suggest checking tomshardware.com
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Chemical2
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Chemical2 »

16GB seems a bit overkill Haruky. If your going for budget I would say 8GB is as high as you need. I think you will end up arround 40$.
''Be polite, be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.'' The sniper
BF3
C2: Staff Sergeant - Hitcorp
C3: 1st Lieutenant - Dark army
C4: 1st Lieutenant - Starfishers coffee initiative
C5: PFC - Legion of Doom
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

Chemical2 wrote:16GB seems a bit overkill Haruky. If your going for budget I would say 8GB is as high as you need. I think you will end up arround 40$.
I was trying to demonstrate that he can get much more memory for the same price. :mrgreen:
Image[/url]
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

For $10-20 more you can get a 7850, which absolutely blows a GTX 460 out of the water in terms of performance (and consumes less power).
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

3570k - $200 - Overclockable so you can squeeze as much life out later on. (will benefit you in the long run)

8 or 16gb corsair DDR3 1600 16gb regularly go on sale for $50-60 $30-50 (8gb is more than sufficient)

GTX 660 (not the ti version) - $189-$229 (great card/value for the green team. 650 ti also outpreforms the gtx 460)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... therboards $119 - could go cheaper if need be (asrock often offers high end cost efficient boards. I have the asus myself, but this would do)

coolermaster 212 evo cpu cooler- spend the $20-30 it is totally worth it.

500 - 750w psu would be fine.

My rig pulls around 300 w with a gtx 460 1gb overclocked and stock 3570k my 750w is overkill

Trust in Fo™