New PC, HALP!

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Hgx

Re: New PC, HALP!

Post by Hgx »

MotherFo™ wrote:3570k - $200 - Overclockable so you can squeeze as much life out later on. (will benefit you in the long run)

8 or 16gb corsair DDR3 1600 16gb regularly go on sale for $50-60 $30-50 (8gb is more than sufficient)
GTX 660 (not the ti version) - $189-$229 (great card/value for the green team. 650 ti also outpreforms the gtx 460)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... therboards $119 - could go cheaper if need be (asrock often offers high end cost efficient boards. I have the asus myself, but this would do)

coolermaster 212 evo cpu cooler- spend the $20-30 it is totally worth it.
500 - 750w psu would be fine.
My rig pulls around 300 w with a gtx 460 1gb overclocked and stock 3570k my 750w is overkill
Trust in Fo™
Yeah, i have the 3570k in mind, and 8gb, i'll upgrade to 16 later, maybe when if I can sell my actual PC
The problem here is the GTX 660:
Not TI version I guess, almost 2k, I want to spend something around 3k, a little more maybe.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA ... opcweb-_JM

I mean, that takes almost all of my budget :P

I'll for the coolermaster and the power supply
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

Hgx wrote: Yeah, i have the 3570k in mind, and 8gb, i'll upgrade to 16 later, maybe when if I can sell my actual PC
The problem here is the GTX 660:
Not TI version I guess, almost 2k, I want to spend something around 3k, a little more maybe.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA ... opcweb-_JM

I mean, that takes almost all of my budget :P

I'll for the coolermaster and the power supply
True, but the CPU and Videocard are the components that will be driving your gaming. If you can get a GTX 460 1gb for under $100 us, then go with that. That will hold you over a bit. It's not worth $150 US.

If you absolutely can't afford the 660, go with a 650ti, 560ti, 560, or gtx 460 as a last resort.

Also, what resolution do you play at? My 460 1gb handles 1920x 1080 very well. Mainly all high for bf3. (3570k + 16gb Corsair)
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

Pretty much everything that's been said is good information. But I want to reemphasize the importance of being budget conscious. Sure, Intel and Nvidia offer the best performing hardware, but not for those tight on budget. For cost efficiency, you need to go with AMD. What if I told you you could have your cake AND eat it too?! Check it out:

-3.0 GHz quad core processor
-8 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM with CAS 8 latency (it's fast!)
-A 1GB current generation video card
-AND a 120GB SSD hard drive (And people said you couldn't afford it!)

All for.... DRUMROLL PLEASE!

$649.17!

Granted this is in the US, so the prices at home may be a bit higher. Regardless, it should be within your budget!
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPbZ
http://i.imgur.com/mRpnt.png

Of course, you could save some money by either reusing your current HDD and PSU, but if your computer is more than a few years old, it's probably best to buy new ones. It sucks when your PSU or HDD just die on you.
Get a free Planetside 2 starter pack! Shameless PS2 recruitment link!
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF3C6-L • UNSC • PFC ~§~ BF4C1-L • Allies • PRVT ~§~ BF4C2-W • 9th MEU • P2C
BF4C3 • Corleone Family • HCImage
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

zorplex wrote:Pretty much everything that's been said is good information. But I want to reemphasize the importance of being budget conscious. Sure, Intel and Nvidia offer the best performing hardware, but not for those tight on budget. For cost efficiency, you need to go with AMD. What if I told you you could have your cake AND eat it too?! Check it out:

-3.0 GHz quad core processor
-8 GB of DDR3 1600 RAM with CAS 8 latency (it's fast!)
-A 1GB current generation video card
-AND a 120GB SSD hard drive (And people said you couldn't afford it!)

All for.... DRUMROLL PLEASE!

$649.17!

Granted this is in the US, so the prices at home may be a bit higher. Regardless, it should be within your budget!
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kPbZ
http://i.imgur.com/mRpnt.png

Of course, you could save some money by either reusing your current HDD and PSU, but if your computer is more than a few years old, it's probably best to buy new ones. It sucks when your PSU or HDD just die on you.
I could use my HDD, but not my PS, still I think that cost twice as much here

I found this today, i know it may be......... not THAT good but it's something in my budget, and I could save the HDD, sell my pc and buy a new videocard + 4gb ram (really cheap, i could even buy it the same day)

Motherboard
Asus P8H61-M XL3
Proc
IVY BRIDGE 3570K
RAM
Kingston 4gb ddr3 1333mhz
600w

This taking out the HDD it's around 2500-2700 Arg Pesos and my top is around 3k, maybe a little more, since I really want to sell my actual PC.

What do you think guys? Be honest as always plS :P
haruky
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by haruky »

I've got to agree with Zorplex. AMD builds are pretty darn good for a budget build. I've run an AMD rig for a long time now and have been immensely satisfied with it.
Image[/url]
Henidhor
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Henidhor »

Zorplex's build looks pretty nice, but if you're willing to spend it, I'd buy a 2gb 7850 instead of a 1gb for maybe $40 more. BF3 in particular is very VRAM intensive on higher settings.
BF3:
C2: [K22S] Kinetic Influence - Senior Operative
C3: [PI3d] PRIDe - Lieutenant
C4: [G1S] Gladius - Sergeant
C5: [KYT] Kitten Adventure Rainbow Time - Private 1st Class
C6: [SIP] International Monetary Fund - Private
BF4
C1: [AD] Allied Forces - Private
kidbagz
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by kidbagz »

I second zorplex too on AMD. I built myself a $700 gaming rig about a year ago and going with AMD/ATI left me with enough money to buy an SSD, and it was worth it.
Image FOR THE MOTHERLAND!
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

Hgx wrote:I found this today, i know it may be......... not THAT good but it's something in my budget, and I could save the HDD, sell my pc and buy a new videocard + 4gb ram (really cheap, i could even buy it the same day)

Motherboard
Asus P8H61-M XL3
Proc
IVY BRIDGE 3570K
RAM
Kingston 4gb ddr3 1333mhz
600w
That's fine, but I would suggest buying all the RAM at once. It's usually cheaper to buy two sticks together. And running your PC off one stick of DDR RAM will slow it down quite a bit. DDR RAM is designed to work in pairs (or triplets for high end motherboards).

Don't expect to make much off selling your PC. PC hardware depreciates very quickly. To be honest, I wouldn't count it toward your budget as you won't know how much you'll be able to make from selling it or even if you can sell it.

Finally, the absolute cheapest way to build a PC is to buy parts over a 2-3 month period and only buying parts that are on big sales. If you wait until Black Friday (or the Argentina equivalent), you might find some killer deals.
BF3C2-L • Hitcorp • Staff Sergeant ~§~ BF3C3-L • PRIDe • Captain ~§~ BF3C4-L • Gladius • Captain BF3C5-W • Legion of Doom • Captain Image
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
Hgx

Post by Hgx »

Guys, one final question for you :P

I'll get that pc, but instead of 4gb RAM, 8GB RAM since im keeping my own HDD and it's almost the same cost.

Question:
I'll be using the Intel HD4000 wich comes integrated with the i5-3570k, is it good? I currently have an Geforce 9500, i know it may sound stupid, but, how better is the Intel HD4000 in comparison to the 9500?
zorplex
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by zorplex »

Hgx wrote:Question:
I'll be using the Intel HD4000 wich comes integrated with the i5-3570k, is it good? I currently have an Geforce 9500, i know it may sound stupid, but, how better is the Intel HD4000 in comparison to the 9500?
That's a bad idea. I don't know how your 9800 performs in BF3, but you'll bey lucky to hit 30 FPS on the lowest settings and resolution using the integrated graphics. I didn't realize you were using a card that was 4 generations old. I would reconsider purchasing a new video card up front. I guess you could get by on the the integrated or reusing your current video card for a while, but you'll want to upgrade ASAP as it's going to be the main thing slowing your computer in game.
BF4C4 • SAD JANUS • HC
MotherFo™

Post by MotherFo™ »

Hgx wrote:Guys, one final question for you :P

I'll get that pc, but instead of 4gb RAM, 8GB RAM since im keeping my own HDD and it's almost the same cost.

Question:

Integrated graphics is pretty poor unless you are playing a really low resolution. Not sure what the 9500 is, but I'm assuming less than the 9800GT which was essentially a re-branded 8800GT, which will produce pretty low fps. You're going to need something stronger. See my previous responses for my recommendations.
Fields
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Fields »

I concur with others who have recommended the hyper 212 coolermaster cpu cooler. I personally have it in my computer, and it will keep your cpu cool and prolong the life of your cpu in the long run.

It's also one of the cheapest aftermarket coolers and has one of the highest overall ratings on any website that sells it. There are literally thousands of 5 star reviews and hundreds of 4 stars on newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -Heatsinks

Spend that little bit extra on this cooler and you won't disappoint.

Also, I'm an AMD fan as well. I have an intel i7 right now, but I've used plenty of AMD cpus in the past with no complications at all. Avoiding an intel will net you a bit less cpu power, but it will let you buy a more powerful GPU.