HELP PC ISSUE

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

wizekraker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

HELP PC ISSUE

Post by wizekraker »

So today while I was playing bf3 my Graphic card fan went full speed, then my monitor screen turned off. So shut down my computer and tried to play it again except this time. By Monitor went black as school as bf3 launched..:(. So pressed my computer reset button to only hear 1 long beep and 3 short beeps. Guys please help here, Im not sure what to do..
I read some article about similar problem:
http://www.techimo.com/forum/graphics-c ... issue.html

Guys please help me.
Last edited by wizekraker on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: HELP PC ISSUE

Post by Ash2Dust »

Bioses for motherboards use beeps to tell you why they failed POST and cant show you anything.
Your motherboard manufacturer should have reference to what the beeps are trying to tell you.

From what you said, swap the video card out and see if it works. Try the video card in another machine to see if the problem travels with it. Pretty straight forward.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

there is nothing wrong with the GPU's fשn at full throttle.
open up the case and check thats everything is in place (by pushing it firmly into the slot, check the external power connector is also plugged in well).
Last edited by Necromancer on Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
BrujahSulik

Post by BrujahSulik »

I think what Ash2Dust was getting at was that if there's an issue with your video card, it may not be a matter of any connection issues in its port or with any cables coming from it, but perhaps a problem with the internals of it itself. If you have another computer to spare that you might take the possibly defective GPU out and swap to another, and see if those problems are recreated on a good machine, then you'll know your GPU is failing for some reason or another.

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend looking up what your beeps mean for your particular motherboard if you know what motherboard you have, so to determine what problem(s) you're suddenly experiencing.

Like Ash2Dust said, swap GPUs if possible, otherwise determine what beeps mean, otherwise, by description it sounds like a GPU issue failing somehow. If it didn't fail altogether, then I'm willing to bet it's an internal GPU issue that isn't easily fixed by tapping on it, or ensuring connection faces are properly mated, may need a new GPU altogether?
"Excuse me, can I get a cup of coffee, black!"
"Can't you see we talkin', white!?"
wizekraker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by wizekraker »

Yeah ..earlie around I wrote 1 long beep 2 short beeps. Its actially 1 long and 3 short.
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

Depending on your BIOS manufacturer, and it's also apparent from your description, 1 long-3 short beeps at POST is usually indicative of a graphic card failure.

You mentioned your GPU fan revved up and then the screen went black, but that things work fine now. Is the fan working without a problem? Is the GPU temp normal both idle and under load?

The only thing I can think of is what was already suggested
1. make sure the card is clean from dust and is securely seated in its slot
2. check the power cables (you can try a different pair that hasn't been used)
wizekraker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by wizekraker »

Yeah connectors are fine, there isn't a significant amount of dust in the graphic card, since clean it once a month.
Also I did take the card out and plug it back in. The problem seemed have disappeared for now atleast.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Also I did take the card out and plug it back in. The problem seemed have disappeared for now atleast.
that means either it wasn't plugged all the way in or the connectors weren't secured.
CPU's/GPU's have built in measures to shutdown before they damage themselves.
when i built my comp for the first time and clicked the on button, it started and then went dead after 2 seconds.
i clicked it several more times and got the same resault, i opened the case and found out the heatsink fell completely off the CPU!!! the poor thing probably gained over 130C in those 2 seconds before it shut down. placed the heatsink back, checked that it was secured this time, clicked the power button, and this time everything worked as it should.
wizekraker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by wizekraker »

Necromancer wrote:
that means either it wasn't plugged all the way in or the connectors weren't secured.
CPU's/GPU's have built in measures to shutdown before they damage themselves.
when i built my comp for the first time and clicked the on button, it started and then went dead after 2 seconds.
i clicked it several more times and got the same resault, i opened the case and found out the heatsink fell completely off the CPU!!! the poor thing probably gained over 130C in those 2 seconds before it shut down. placed the heatsink back, checked that it was secured this time, clicked the power button, and this time everything worked as it should.
Yeah..but the funny thing was I did that last night took my card and put it back again, yet I got the same result after..
But today in morning I lauched Bf3...and problem apparently disappeared
wizekraker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by wizekraker »

Well..Im be damed the problem persisted again...
So before the sent them for the warranty.
Last edited by wizekraker on Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

wait, state your current problem.

is your screen turning off when you start BF? or the whole computer turns off?
is your computer loads up after that? or beeps? you have to take the card out every time for it to start???
wizekraker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by wizekraker »

Necromancer wrote:wait, state your problem.

is your screen turning off when you start BF? or the whole computer turns off?
is your computer loads up after that? or beeps? you have to take the card out every time for it to start???
Just the screen...when press reset button I hear the beeps. But when force shutdown button boot it up. It works..however now I noticed that I get the same result of my screen going of black when launch my internet broswer too..
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

if your screen turns off then its definitely your graphic card.
load up your comp, open your graphic card driver manager (should be on the start bar near the clock), and look at the temperature of the GPU, keep following it until your screen turns off.

either way, its a bad card, RMA it.
wizekraker
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by wizekraker »

Necromancer wrote:if your screen turns off then its definitely your graphic card.
load up your comp, open your graphic card driver manager (should be on the start bar near the clock), and look at the temperature of the GPU, keep following it until your screen turns off.

either way, its a bad card, RMA it.
the temps look normal thats problem...when boot up atleast.
Just run stress test to see if the problem occurs?
My questions it could it be the mobo too?
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

not likely. your screen turns off so you can't see if it continues to work properly or not. if you have another graphic card, swap the cards and see if everything works.

you can try running several tests, like 3DMark11 and OpenGL benchmark test and see what happens.