Building a computer

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Winter_Lion

Re: Building a computer

Post by Winter_Lion »

TheYonderGod wrote:
Winter_Lion wrote: Video cards are always a big problem. You would think that spending more.....gets you more. You would be wrong. Anyone spending more than 200.00 American on a vid card needs to be running a graphic arts business of some kind. Plenty of cards at 159.00 that will max out BF3.
:?: Max out at what, 30 fps?
You don't know me Yonder. Let me explain. My first pc had a Pentium 25 mhz in it. 32 megs of ram. I spent a weeks paycheck to get a video card with 8 megs of vram on it. My hard drive was huge at 2 gigs. We thought gigabytes of ram was a fantasy. Terrabytes of hard drive were impossible. We knew that as fact.

I have been doing this a very long time. I go into teamspeak sites all over the world and am granted admin rights instantly.

I have registry fixes for Battlefield in the archives at EA. Verbattim.

I was playing here at GC when all we had was the beta of BF42.

I could go on.

Bottom line: If i say a video card can play our game..........Its because I know this shiate. I dont need FPS to reassure me. I know this shiate.

Respects to you and yours

Winter 8)
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Is your PSU big enough? You need 500 watts at the very least. Power supplies are very sneaky at making a PC suck. Just a thought my brother.

Winter
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

With all due respect, owning a PC that's weaker than my calculator is not a good reason to say you know anything about today's hardware. I'll take your word that you've been keeping up with the latest technology and know what you're talking about, as you should take mine.
Anyways, I never said it couldn't play the game, I said it can't max it out. A 650ti can get somewhere around 60fps @1080p on medium or somewhere around there, but it is not maxing it out.
ImageImage
iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by iRawPeanut »

TheYonderGod wrote:With all due respect, owning a PC that's weaker than my calculator is not a good reason to say you know anything about today's hardware. I'll take your word that you've been keeping up with the latest technology and know what you're talking about, as you should take mine.
Anyways, I never said it couldn't play the game, I said it can't max it out. A 650ti can get somewhere around 60fps @1080p on medium or somewhere around there, but it is not maxing it out.
Yup..

Starting from the GTX 660ti/670 or the Radeon 7950. You can start maxing out your games (latest generations mentioned, I don't know much about the previous generations).

Everything lower then that, will not play it totally maxed out. Maybe Ultra textures, but not with AF en AA...
Because everything around 30 fps, doesn't really feel like...fluent..

And just for the record :mrgreen: :
Even with a little bit "experience" you can see the difference between 60 hz(fps), en 120hz(fps).
Made possible by: .Sup
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

iRawPeanut wrote:
TheYonderGod wrote:With all due respect, owning a PC that's weaker than my calculator is not a good reason to say you know anything about today's hardware. I'll take your word that you've been keeping up with the latest technology and know what you're talking about, as you should take mine.
Yup..

Starting from the GTX 660ti/670 or the Radeon 7950. You can start maxing out your games (latest generations mentioned, I don't know much about the previous generations).

Everything lower then that, will not play it totally maxed out. Maybe Ultra textures, but not with AF en AA...

Even with a little bit "experience" you can see the difference between 60 hz(fps), en 120hz(fps).
I stand corrected. My bad. The point I was making is whatever makes you happy. I'm happy. I hope you are happy as well. That's all.

Winter :)
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Winter_Lion wrote:I stand corrected. My bad. The point I was making is whatever makes you happy. I'm happy. I hope you are happy as well. That's all.

EVERYONE'S HAPPY

iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by iRawPeanut »

Winter_Lion wrote:
iRawPeanut wrote:
Yup..

I stand corrected. My bad. The point I was making is whatever makes you happy. I'm happy. I hope you are happy as well. That's all.

True, it all depends on how much 'eyecandy' you want :)

And ofcourse we're all happy! :mrgreen: (atleast I am.)
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:
Winter_Lion wrote:I stand corrected. My bad. The point I was making is whatever makes you happy. I'm happy. I hope you are happy as well. That's all.

EVERYONE'S HAPPY

I love that cat. Had to take mine to the vet today. His name is Klaus. They think he has a liver problem. Expensive process. I already spent more on his tests this month then I spent on my new PC. Hell.......he's worth it.

Winter 8O
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

It ended up testing at 44 fps on Ultra settings. 61 fps on High. The "eye candy" didnt seem any better on ultra but then again im an old man.

My monitor is HD 25" Samsung at around 1950 x 2000. The detail gets so fine I cant see it like I used to. Does that make sense?

Winter :?
iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by iRawPeanut »

Winter_Lion wrote:It ended up testing at 44 fps on Ultra settings. 61 fps on High. The "eye candy" didnt seem any better on ultra but then again im an old man.

My monitor is HD 25" Samsung at around 1950 x 2000. The detail gets so fine I cant see it like I used to. Does that make sense?

Yes it does make sense, I know what you mean, I can't really tell the difference from high and ultra either. Only when you stand really near objects (or really far away).

And ehmmm

I don't want to bitch. ..

But, a 1950 x 2000 pixels screen... is not a casual ratio... And I'm pretty sure with that much pixels, your GPU won't play anything higher then low, since the memory is not big enough for that much pixels.

I think you mean: 1920x1200 or 1920x1080.
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

Winter_Lion wrote:It ended up testing at 44 fps on Ultra settings. 61 fps on High. The "eye candy" didnt seem any better on ultra but then again im an old man.

What Peanut said about your resolution, can you confirm what it is? All you have to do is right click your desktop and click screen resolution.
What exact settings? Just the high/ultra presets or did you change the AA or anything?
And 61 what? Actual average calculated by fraps(or similar program) over at least a couple games on different maps? Or just an approximate average from just looking at it occasionally while playing? Or just what you were getting while standing still looking at it?

I'm just curious because I've never seen a 560 get that high frame-rates.

And yes it makes sense, I can't even tell the difference between high and low while I'm actually playing, not just standing still looking for the detail. Actually high looks worse because low is so much smoother at 100+ fps.
ImageImage