Moderator: Executive

iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Building a computer

Post by iRawPeanut »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:
Bock wrote:
Cheesy wrote: No special use case, just gaming. I do other stuff like Photoshop occasionally but nothing that will stress any particular component too much.
Thanks guys!
The only real difference between the i7 and the i5 is the i7 has hyperthreading (runs 2 threads simultaneously on one core). This will give you a little boost in Photoshop and other content creation tasks. However, in terms of gaming performance, the i5 and i7 are identical (unless you're recording/streaming/rendering stuff while you game). So you could save some dough by downgrading the processor. Otherwise, I wouldn't really change a thing.
How significant do you think that recording advantage would be? I'm planning to upgrade my CPU soon and i haven't yet decided whether or not i should actually get an i7.

What do you want to do with your PC besides gaming? And do you already have a SSD?

EDIT, and what FPS/Quality do you want to record with?
Made possible by: .Sup
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

SiL3nT_BoB wrote:Yonder i would love it if you could suggest some good 120Hz monitors. My 60Hz and its lack of hdmi port is pissing me off.
From what I've researched the BenQ 2420T is one of the best, it's what I'm saving up for (trying to get my mom to let me use $100 of my college money for it, since I technically will be using it for my online classes :wink: )
Btw, you wont be able to use hdmi for 120hz anyways, you need to use dual link DVI or display port.
ImageImage
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Cheesy wrote:Also, my current computer has this really obnoxious light on it. Even after I put electrical tape over it, it's still so bright that I can't leave my computer on at night because it keeps me awake. So less of that please.
these LEDs are connected to your motherboard at the same place where the Power and Restart buttons are connected (and some other front panel stuff like HDD light etc...). usually its a big block of pins on the outlines of the motherboard, with every cord has its description on its end.
so you can start practicing your building comp skills by pulling out the front LED cord.
Last edited by Necromancer on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by iRawPeanut »

TheYonderGod wrote:
SiL3nT_BoB wrote:Yonder i would love it if you could suggest some good 120Hz monitors. My 60Hz and its lack of hdmi port is pissing me off.
From what I've researched the BenQ 2420T is one of the best, it's what I'm saving up for (trying to get my mom to let me use $100 of my college money for it, since I technically will be using it for my online classes :wink: )
Btw, you wont be able to use hdmi for 120hz anyways, you need to use dual link DVI or display port.
Yup the BenQ 2420T is the best 24" 120Hz "gaming" screen ;)
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

iRawPeanut wrote:What do you want to do with your PC besides gaming? And do you already have a SSD?

No SSD yet, planning on picking one up with the CPU. I mostly do gaming, so the only question would be the performance gain while recording. Qualitywise, 30 FPS (maybe sometimes 60), 1080p, highest recording settings possible.
iRawPeanut
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by iRawPeanut »

KoffeinFlummi wrote:
iRawPeanut wrote:What do you want to do with your PC besides gaming? And do you already have a SSD?

No SSD yet, planning on picking one up with the CPU. I mostly do gaming, so the only question would be the performance gain while recording. Qualitywise, 30 FPS (maybe sometimes 60), 1080p, highest recording settings possible.
You should do abou 720p @ 30Fps.. If you don't have a Mega HDD... Because 1080 @ 60FPS And 1hr of gameplay is about 400Gigs using fraps... (With everything on).

What program are you planning to use? Because Fraps doesn't use Hyperthreading when recording...
Sarantini
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Sarantini »

Don't use Fraps, it's outdated.
Dxtory is the way to go
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

KoffeinFlummi wrote: How significant do you think that recording advantage would be? I'm planning to upgrade my CPU soon and i haven't yet decided whether or not i should actually get an i7.
I'm not quite sure what the advantage would be, but I can tell you that recording with Dxtory at 720p, 30 fps, medium quality, compressed gives me a hit of maybe 5-10 fps with my i5-2500k. If I don't compress the video in real time, there's hardly a performance hit at all.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

Bock, how much does a 1H video wights this way? i don't have 100GB free to record without compression.
a 10-15FPS hit sounds acceptable as i mostly get more then 60.
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

Necromancer wrote:Bock, how much does a 1H video wights this way? i don't have 100GB free to record without compression.
In Dxtory, 720p@30fps, medium settings, it's 1,4gb for a minute of recording, roughly. You could try other codecs, but my trial dxtory crashes when I try MJPG.
ImageImageImage
Bock
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Bock »

what Botolo said.
BF3C3: DARK - Inf - SFC || BF3C4: STAR - Inf - 1Lt || BF3C5: KART - Armor - Cpt
BF3C6: SCAR - HC - Col || BF4C1: USSR - Mech - Kpt || BF4C2: GOCI - Inf - Lt
BF4C3: TCF - Bronx - Sgt. Maj. || BF4C4: JANUS - Air - Pvt || BF4C5: TA
BF4C6: SAD - Armor - Cpt
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Bock wrote:I'm not quite sure what the advantage would be, but I can tell you that recording with Dxtory at 720p, 30 fps, medium quality, compressed gives me a hit of maybe 5-10 fps with my i5-2500k. If I don't compress the video in real time, there's hardly a performance hit at all.
If there is not too much of a performance increase, i'll go with the i5.
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

BotoloLover wrote:
Necromancer wrote:Bock, how much does a 1H video wights this way? i don't have 100GB free to record without compression.
In Dxtory, 720p@30fps, medium settings, it's 1,4gb for a minute of recording, roughly. You could try other codecs, but my trial dxtory crashes when I try MJPG.
should you need the full version, shout at me by whatever means.
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

BotoloLover wrote:
1.4GB per min is without compression. how much you get with compression?
BotoloLover
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by BotoloLover »

I actually got that size with compression ticked. Bob, I can't record right now, no space on the HD. You have a coupon or something?
ImageImageImage