Building a computer

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: Building a computer

Post by Necromancer »

CPU manual and the image of the MoBo is all you need really.
and a screw driver to secure the Mobo to the case.
apart from applying the thermal paste on the CPU, its assembling Lego style, a part can only fit its own slot, in the right direction, so there is nothing to be wrong about. with the exception of the Case front panel cords, i hate that part. took me like an hour to place those last time.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

First thing to remember to do is ground yourself. Best is wearing a static wrist strap, but unless you live in a very dry place you should be fine just touching the case prior to handling any parts.

Screwdriver is the only required tool but a few things I find useful:
- Long Tweezers (pref plastic tipped) to grab those little screws you drop into unreachable portions of the case.
- Small Plastic Putty knife to spread thermal compound
- Isopropyl Alcohol to remove oils from manufacturing and handling on the CPU and cooler base
- Lint free cloth to wipe surfaces
- Zip ties for wire management (you can get anchors to keep wires against the side of the case too)

Assembling it really is easy though. CPU cooler install is probably the most difficult part as you wanna put it on nice and level to keep the thermal compound even. Most have springs these days to keep pressure even without crushing the CPU when it gets hot.

Most cases use a single gang for connections now too which makes that part easy too.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

Shrapnel wrote: - Small Plastic Putty knife to spread thermal compound
Nooooo. Just put a small drop about the size of a grain of rice and let the heatsink spread it, this gets more even coverage without air bubbles and prevents putting too much on like most people do when they spread it.
ImageImage
expandas
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by expandas »

TheYonderGod wrote:
Shrapnel wrote: - Small Plastic Putty knife to spread thermal compound
Nooooo. Just put a small drop about the size of a grain of rice and let the heatsink spread it, this gets more even coverage without air bubbles and prevents putting too much on like most people do when they spread it.
+1

Thermal Compound should be filling the cracks of the CPU/HSF, not forming a whole separate layer for heat to pass through.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Just found this rack, so for only a "little" more $$$ you get:
http://www.mwelab.com/index.php/en/products/emperor-200
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

sushi25 wrote:Just found this rack, so for only a "little" more $$$ you get:
Thats the old version. I use the Dictator 350.
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

Why would you even think about buying that?!
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Yeah you are right, it doesn't fit the color of my Ferrari's!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

sushi25 wrote:Yeah you are right, it doesn't fit the color of my Ferrari's!
:lol:
KoffeinFlummi
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by KoffeinFlummi »

sushi25 wrote:Yeah you are right, it doesn't fit the color of my Ferrari's!
So that's where all the donations go... :roll:
mrBLUE9
Executive
Executive

Post by mrBLUE9 »

sushi25 wrote:Just found this rack, so for only a "little" more $$$ you get:
If that thing had a toilet built in I would be all over it! (after selling my soul)
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

The Cooler Master towers are the bomb. Awesome quality and very decently priced.

CPU fans from Intel come pre-greased. You don't need to add any additional heatsink compound.

Video cards are always a big problem. You would think that spending more.....gets you more. You would be wrong. Anyone spending more than 200.00 American on a vid card needs to be running a graphic arts business of some kind. Plenty of cards at 159.00 that will max out BF3.

Just my two cents. I just built a new PC. It's easy to get carried away by the vendor claims. Just saying.

Winter :)

Ohhhhhhhh.......buy the biggest power supply you can afford. Trust me......weak power supplies are half the problems gamers experience with their rigs. Power is GOOD.
ImageImage
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

Winter_Lion wrote: Video cards are always a big problem. You would think that spending more.....gets you more. You would be wrong. Anyone spending more than 200.00 American on a vid card needs to be running a graphic arts business of some kind. Plenty of cards at 159.00 that will max out BF3.
:?: Max out at what, 30 fps?
ImageImage
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

TheYonderGod wrote:
Winter_Lion wrote: Video cards are always a big problem. You would think that spending more.....gets you more. You would be wrong. Anyone spending more than 200.00 American on a vid card needs to be running a graphic arts business of some kind. Plenty of cards at 159.00 that will max out BF3.
Sounds like you went for the expensive vid card. Long as you are happy......it doesn't matter. Right?

Btw: i used to live in Carmichael. I have a son who lives in Fair Oaks. Nice place.....Sacramento. :D
TheYonderGod

Post by TheYonderGod »

Winter_Lion wrote:
TheYonderGod wrote:
Sounds like you went for the expensive vid card. Long as you are happy......it doesn't matter. Right?
I have a mid range card, a 7870. I'm perfectly fine with playing on low, but mine can barely get ~100 minimum fps on low. Since most people have a 60hz monitor they would want 60fps, but still, you said it maxes it out. 30 average fps, and probably about 20 minimum is not enough to consider it "maxed out"
ImageImage