Moderator: Executive

Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

PC dead [fixed]

Post by Jokerle »

My PC wont boot even into bios.

I bought a new power supply, no help.
Then I bought a new motherboard, same as before.

I AM PISSED! :evil: :evil: :evil:

I have now only cpu+fan and the power supply turns itself off after 1 second, I guess some security crap.
chassis speaker is giving no sounds. Error-code display on the motherboard stays off.
So..maybe the CPU is damaged and gives a short-circuit?
Last edited by Jokerle on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: PC dead

Post by Necromancer »

My comp turned off after 1 seconds and no errors when I started it without a heatsink on the CPU.

6 months ago my MoBo short-circuit killing my CPU as well.
Had to replace both. It wouldn't power at all. After replacing MoBo and unplugging the 12v rail going to the cpu the fans would start spinning but thats it. No erros either.

Don't buy crap before you identify the problem.
P.S.
BIOS won't boot without RAM. Make sure you have one stick of RAM, and try it in diffrent slots.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by o1oo1 »

make sure your mobo isnt making a circuit, sometimes people leave the wrong risers on the back
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

ram is inserted and mobo is new (and properly installed)
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

take your heat sink+fan off of your processor and see how toasty it looks. to me it sounds like you've either burned up your processor/bent a few pins in the mobo replacement process or got a short somewhere. If you have a multimeter I'd say try putting black to a wall ground in a socket and red to the chassis and then holding the power button to see if you get a significant voltage to see if there's a short to the case, although if you've replaced the mobo you probably don't have a short there.

If you have any extra RAM around as well I'd say try that too, if you're new mobo isn't recognizing the old RAM due to damage or incompatibility it may not boot. But my best guess is probably the processor since you've replaced everything else.

You are getting it to power on though as in fans are starting right? If this is the case, you could also potentially have a case wiring issue from the power button to the power supply somewhere in the path.
woke up this morning, put on my slippers, walked in the kitchen and died
o1oo1
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by o1oo1 »

So lets just ask, did this happen out of the blue or did you make any changes lately ?
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

o1oo1 wrote:So lets just ask, did this happen out of the blue or did you make any changes lately ?
out of the blue

pc went dead while playing dota and stayed dead. No changes for a few months
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
CrookedBarrel

Post by CrookedBarrel »

What I would do is verify the motherboard works by running outside of the computer case, with nothing but PSU(Power Supply Unit), RAM(Won't boot without it) and CPU(with cooler) installed(No graphics card, no harddrive, etc..). Don't plug in anything but the power cord to the PSU; No screen, keyboard, etc.. Make sure you place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface.

You can use a metallic object like a screwdriver or paperclip to carefully short the power button pins on the motherboard(look to your manual to find these) to make it start.

If this configuration won't stay running(I.E. fans keep spinning), you need to look into replacing components on-by-one.

Personally, I've never encountered a failed CPU. It's usually a PSU, RAM or socket issue(Or a borked motherboard, unlikely as it's new, but not impossible). As Matsif said, check the(Presumably LGA) socket for bent pins, these can be hard to spot, so look closely, with a magnifying glass and a torch(flashlight, not the medieval kind) if necessary.

If you have a second PC with similar hardware(Same CPU socket, RAM type), you can swap components from or to this machine to verify they work(Though this is obviously not without risk. Consider unplugging the harddrive first).
Be aware that branded machines(This usually applies to laptops, but Dell desktops in particular also) may require specific RAM and won't boot with generic RAM installed.

Can you give us some more info about your hardware?
Last edited by CrookedBarrel on Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Of course he looks like the suspect, that don't make him guilty! You look like an idiot, that doesn't mean you are one." -Ken Rosenberg
BF4 C3 TCF Sgt
BF4 C4 SAD Cpt
BF4 C5 EVIL WO
BF4 C6 TCF Col
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

CrookedBarrel wrote:What I would do is verify the motherboard works by running outside of the computer case, with nothing but PSU(Power Supply Unit), RAM(Won't boot without it) and CPU(with cooler) installed(No graphics card, no harddrive, etc..). Don't plug in anything but the power cord to the PSU; No screen, keyboard, etc.. Make sure you place the motherboard on a non-conductive surface.
?
i have already done that. The CPU would spin-up, then the (new) power unit makes a sound and everything goes dead.
The MoBo has a button to power it up.

The CPU us a i5-3470 (LGA1155, no old-school pins btw) and the MoBo is the ASrock Z77 extreme 4 Mobo.
Nothing visual wrong the CPU.

I have an older motherboard (other socket) and both power units power it is. So they are working for sure.
Assuming the new MoBo is not broken out of the box it has to be the CPU. But I never encountered a similar error with the CPU.
Some wonky bluescreens or at least a madly peeping internal speaker, but never just staying dead.
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
ZombieToof
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by ZombieToof »

You can test your RAM in another computer see it at least works there. Or put working RAM from another PC in. My laptop died some time ago and wouldn't start, showed it's normal LEDs, but not even the bios screen. In the end it was one of the RAM sticks that was damaged.

Also reset the BIOS even if the motherboard is new. I think some new motherboards emit post codes if the memory is missing or damaged. If the docs say so my tip would be the CPU. But other than the things above I've no idea except to test a different CPU.
…I'm made of mountains, made of metal, made of whiskey, and waves! You won't believe your own breath, when the bold words finally escape your mouth. Keep your secrets hidden, till we're certain of just what we've found. Yeah, they bleed just like us, but our calling is what shapes us now. We won't be held back, won't be tied up, we won't be pinned down. Not now. Astronautalis: "Dimitri Mendeleev"
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

As I said, my mobo short-curcuit and damaged my cpu too.
Maybe your case is similar.
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Jokerle »

I borrowed a CPU from my workstation at work... :angel:
The PC works again!

So my old motherboard and my old CPU were indeed both damaged.
Im gonna order a new CPU now, sadly it takes a few days.

Thx for the help and suggestions!
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!
CrookedBarrel

Re: PC dead [fixed]

Post by CrookedBarrel »

Good to hear you found the problem!

Out of interest, what model are the failed PSU and motherboard?

Also, the CPU you have was launched Q2 2012. Intel says on their website they "[Provide] a three-year limited warranty on Intel® Boxed Processors, if purchased separately or as part of a computer system.", so you may be able to RMA it and get a replacement.
"Of course he looks like the suspect, that don't make him guilty! You look like an idiot, that doesn't mean you are one." -Ken Rosenberg
BF4 C3 TCF Sgt
BF4 C4 SAD Cpt
BF4 C5 EVIL WO
BF4 C6 TCF Col
Jokerle
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: PC dead [fixed]

Post by Jokerle »

CrookedBarrel wrote: Out of interest, what model are the failed PSU and motherboard?
My old PSU was a CoolerMaster silent pro 700w, it is still functional.
My motherboard was a Asrock z77 extreme pro4
Wat ne Wuchtbrumme!