What computer peripherals/equipment do you use?

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: What computer peripherals/equipment do you use?

Post by Ash2Dust »

I see a pattern that a lot of gamers do use and like 120 or 144 monitors. I'd think that my 580 GTX would be useless on that, but if I were to get a 970... things would be different. Then again, its still a crapload of money to buy a new monitor and GPU. Havent done it hence still on a 580 GTX.
Seems people here have done it, is it worth it?
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

It's pretty amazing, no way I could go back to being locked to 60 fps, even if my gpu can't reach a stable 120 in all games.

For someone like me, having smooth gameplay also helps diminish games causing motion sickness.
"fraking game mechanics"
nx-jojo
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by nx-jojo »

@strontium

i see you have a 144 and a 60 Hz monitor. i am thinking about buying the same BenQ. do you have any problems with those different frame rates?
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

GPUs: 2x MSI GeForce GTX970 in SLI

Monitor: NEC EA244UHD 4K display. Gaming in 4K is amazing but requires some powerful GPUs. Currently I can run every game I play on max settings in 4K, but they are new GPUs.

Mouse: Logitech G502. My G5 finally gave out last week after 8 years of pretty heavy use. I like the G502 and it "feels" more accurate, but it is also a little smaller on the pinkie side and I'm not quite used to it yet.

Mouse Pad: Razer Manticor hard mouse pad. I personally prefer hard mouse pads but the surface does wear out after awhile. New mouse meant a new mouse pad to go with it and I think the improvement I'm "feeling" is due more to the fresh surface than the new mouse. (It's difficult to quantify if these things are actual improvements, I guess we'll see if my scores improve).

Keyboard: Logitech G110. It's a keyboard, not terribly impressed with it. Was looking at getting the G710, especially since I recently had a beer+numpad incident that has made the numpad unusable. Of course I could just not be lazy and clean it...but I'm curious to try a mechanical board.

Speakers: Monsoon magneplanar speakers that I've had for 10+ years. I haven't heard any "multimedia" speakers that come close to matching these in sound quality. They still work great, but the reostat gave out a few years ago. Not too big a deal, just replaced the included 3.5 cord with a generic one and use the volume controls in Windows. Unfortunately they stopped making them 5 or so years ago. I build speakers as a hobby and have been working on a design to replace them. The main difficulty is finding the time to work on the project.

Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX300. Fantastic head set with incredible sound quality. I use them with a headphone amp for semi-critical listening instead of my Denon headphones on occasion. I prefer the Denons for Rock music as they are a bit heavier in the low end, but the MMX300 is tighter with a more detailed presentation. Thanks to .Sup for the recommendation.

Joystick: Logitech Freedom 2.4. Essentially a wireless version of the Wingman. It's not great, but I really only use it with BF and I don't fly much.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
cancel_man
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by cancel_man »

nx-jojo wrote:do you have any problems with those different frame rates?
I'm not stron, but he and I are running very similar setups (I have 1 @ 144hz and 2 @ 60hz). There's no problem mixing refresh rates if you're only gaming on the high refresh monitor. If you're set up in Nvidia Surround or AMD Eyefinity (games play on multiple monitors) then the game will run at your highest available refresh (in my case 60hz). It's not really worth owning more than 1 high refresh monitor because very few GPU's are capable of getting more 60hz on Surround or Eyefinity.
Ash2Dust wrote:Seems people here have done it, is it worth it?
I'm with Sneaker, no way I'd got back to 60hz now that I've been playing at 144hz. The gameplay feels much smoother and you'll see things a lot quicker/clearer (1ms response time vs 5+ms on other screens). I'm crappy at CQC and have poor reaction time so I'll do anything I can to get an edge; the high refresh definitely makes a difference, though I can't say there's been a measurable improvement in my stats :roll:

There are a lot of articles and videos on the web extolling the virtues of high refresh monitors for gaming. Worth looking into the next time you consider an upgrade. The biggest downside is that TN panels are the only ones on the market currently capable for 144hz (without overclocking). The contrast, color depth, brightness, etc sucks on TN so you give up some image quality.

Your 580 would probably be able to push a higher framerate in BF4 if you were willing to run a lower quality settings. I'm running 2x680's SLI and run at High (not Ultra) to get 90+ consistently, 120 average.
StrontiumDog34
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by StrontiumDog34 »

As Cancel say> I have no problems. I only run my game on the BenQ and use the other for TS or Battlescreen.
Madsgyver
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Madsgyver »

Mouse: Zowie FK
Avago 3090 master race. 10/10. This is my baby.

Mouse mat: Perixx DX-1000XXL 35.43"x17.32"
I bought this one last week because my Qck+ wasn't big enough. Now I can finally use the sensitivity I want w/o being restricted by a small mouse mat =D

Keyboard: Corsair K60 Tenkeyless
This is my first tenkeyless keyboard and I love it. I never used the numpad anyway, and the extra desk space means my hands don't have to be so far apart.

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598

Monitor: BenQ 24" LED XL2420T 120hz
Attachments
ae3a523078b2c7c388ce066d5a16a7db.png
Nix

Post by Nix »

I would love to have a 120Hz monitor, but I'm poor if that hasn't been stated yet lol
MAAfield 4: MAA Rising, Second MAA, MAA Strike, MAA's Teeth, Final MAA, MAA Operations, Community MAA and Legacy MAA
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

PC: i5-3570K, Asus Z77 V Pro, 16GB RAM, 2HDD, 1SSD and 2 HD 7950. I am running only one GPU since Xfire wasn't working for me. My BF4 frame rates were around 40-50. Nobody seems to want to buy it so its just sitting here.

Monitors: 1xBenq XL2411T (Can anyone tell me why these were advertised as 120Mhz monitors but they run at 144?) and 1xSamsung SyncMaster T220.

Keyboard: CMStorm Trigger (I am loving it)

Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 (What a piece of plastic junk)

Mousepad: Razer something Battlefield 3 edition (I don't like cloth pads, my next one will be aluminum)

Headset: Audio Technica ATH-TAD400 for gaming and Sennheiser HD600 for music.

Mic: Superlux E205U

Speakers: Cabasse Goelette Noyer 300 (I think these are made around 1995)

DAC/Headphone Amp: Audio GD NFB-5 (Just drop my HD600 to the dude that is building me a custom tube amp for them)

Amp: Custom Single End Tube Amplifier

Last ones are not really computer related but after all they are connected to it :D
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
undrt0w
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by undrt0w »

Madsgyver wrote: Mouse mat: Perixx DX-1000XXL 35.43"x17.32"
I bought this one last week because my Qck+ wasn't big enough. Now I can finally use the sensitivity I want w/o being restricted by a small mouse mat =D
Thats one giant ass mousepad!!!! 8O 8O 8O
Welcome Committee Member
What is GC? | Getting Started at GC | Campaign Sign-up Video | FAQ | Forum Netiquette

New Members do you need help?
Find me on TS or send me a PM
King6moh
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by King6moh »

Shrapnel wrote: Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX300. Fantastic head set with incredible sound quality. I use them with a headphone amp for semi-critical listening instead of my Denon headphones on occasion. I prefer the Denons for Rock music as they are a bit heavier in the low end, but the MMX300 is tighter with a more detailed presentation. Thanks to .Sup for the recommendation.
I have the same headset and have been trying to find a good headphone amp. Got any recommendations?
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

King6moh wrote:
Shrapnel wrote: Headset: Beyerdynamic MMX300. Fantastic head set with incredible sound quality. I use them with a headphone amp for semi-critical listening instead of my Denon headphones on occasion. I prefer the Denons for Rock music as they are a bit heavier in the low end, but the MMX300 is tighter with a more detailed presentation. Thanks to .Sup for the recommendation.
I have the same headset and have been trying to find a good headphone amp. Got any recommendations?
The Fiio's are really popular right now, especially if you want it to be portable. Probably the best bang for the buck available atm.

If you're looking for a bit higher performance in a desktop model then Schiit or Fostex offer good entry level and higher end amps.

If cost is no concern the Oppo HA-1 definitely deserves consideration.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
King6moh
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by King6moh »

FiiO one looks good but I am also open for a desktop one. Should I be looking to get one with 6.25 mm input or just use the standard 3.5 mm? I know mine had the 6.25 adapter on it.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Pretty much every amp I've seen is 6.25, except the portables. Just use the adapter and it will be fine.
King6moh
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by King6moh »

Alright awesome! Cheers Shrapnel!