R9 290X crossfire

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

MONGO_abaday
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

R9 290X crossfire

Post by MONGO_abaday »

Thinking about buying my self a couple of second hand (but in great condition) MSI R9 290Xs but not sure if I should just hang on and wait for win10 to come out with all its joys of DX12 and just stick with my pair of reference HD7870s.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
CaptJagermeister
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: R9 290X crossfire

Post by CaptJagermeister »

The 4GB of vram on the 290x will probably come in handy with modern games especially if you're gaming at higher resolutions and is the 7870 even dx12 compatible? Probably also depends on your case ventilation aswell since the 290x is quite a hot card as I've heard and I'm assuming that it's a twin frozr open air cooler which doesn't blow the air out of the back of the card. I'd say just wait unless you're gaming at resolutions higher than 1080p
Divine-Sneaker

Post by Divine-Sneaker »

AMD 7000 series is still the same architecture the AMD cards used in both the 2- and 300 series cards, so they ought to be dx12 compatible.

Personally I'm already starting to get annoyed at my own 2gb Vram limit, so if you can really get them for a good price it sounds nice to me.
"fraking game mechanics"
MONGO_abaday
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by MONGO_abaday »

Yeah they're the open air models with after market coolers but I do have what I think is a fair amount of ventilation for a couple of 290Xs. My 7870s are DX12 compatible but yeah like Divine-Sneaker said I'm beginning to get irritated with the 2gb of VRAM on them which i feel is holding them back in a number of new releases. Plus this should (I hope) future proof my build for a good while from then on.

So I have decided to take the plunge and start bidding on a nice pair of MSI cards on ebay.

Side note: Any recommendations on a good value for money 120mm AIO water cooler?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage