XFX video Cards?

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

XFX video Cards?

Post by Shrapnel »

Just curious if anyone has experience with this company. I have never owned anything by them though a few quick searches haven't yeilded anything negative.

I'm looking hard at this card. It's the only 256mb 6600GT available at the moment. Well actually it isn't available since it's out of stock everywhere but they're supposed to get more soon.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
MizCleo

Post by MizCleo »

man, i love newegg.
BFE #1 | BFE #2 | WGO #1 | GC #1 | GC # 2 | GC # 3 | GC # 4
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

I used my new system to play demo today and the 6800 loaded that map so fast and rendered the game so excellent that I just fricken went off on a peaceful hike ingame and just spent a couple rounds looking at how awesome the enviroment is in BF2. Always thought mid to high end video cards were pretty much the same to your average gamers eyes. I was very much in the wrong here, Sharpnel.

If you cant find the 6600, get the 6800 for a few bucks more and you will be very happy with your decision, no doubt! Besides you can't take that money with you when you go, lol.

Winter :D
ImageImage
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

OMG NEWEGG ROXORS THE BIG ONE!!111!!!1! :D

Winter, Supposedly the 256mb version of the 6600GT outperforms the 6800 in almost all areas. I'd have to get a 6800GT to get better performance. Since my mobo is AGP only the high-end Radeons aren't an option plus those cards are all $100+ more expensive.

I was also looking at 6600GTs from ASUS and MSI which I know are good manufacturers but for $30-40 more I'm thinking double the video memory is worth it. Just wasn't sure about XFX.
[sig]Broken due to link being older than I am (in internet years at least) and laziness[/sig]
PsycoGeek

Post by PsycoGeek »

Shrapnel wrote:Winter, Supposedly the 256mb version of the 6600GT outperforms the 6800 in almost all areas. I'd have to get a 6800GT to get better performance. Since my mobo is AGP only the high-end Radeons aren't an option plus those cards are all $100+ more expensive.
Yeah, a 6600 w/256mb will beat a 6800 w/128mb. BUT, the 6800GT w/256mb will outperform both, and is overclockable to boot, boosting performance even further. And overclocking these cards is easy (Rivatuner). Also, and this is a BIG consideration, the 6600GT only has 8 pixel pipelines, whereas the 6800GT has double that (16). This is going to limit performance way more than the amount of RAM on the card, and is not a good choice for heavy gaming. Your best bet is to get a 6800GT 265mb.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Since I've never owned a top of the line video card before, I've finnally landed my career job and the info in Psycho's and Winter's posts, I've decided to spoil myself. Just ordered the MSI 6800GT and another 512mb of OCZ DDR400 to add to my existing 1GB. Should arrive from Newegg on Monday, just in time to get the bugs worked out before BF2 is released. :twisted:

If I can't run maxed out at 1280x720 I'm gonna be disappointed. 8)
PsycoGeek

Post by PsycoGeek »

That would be 1280x1024, which happens to be an unsupported resolution (but you can run at that). The next best thing is 1152x864, which is what I and my son run at. I have an eVga 6800 Ultra, and he has an eVga 6800GT (with a video card BIOS voltage mod, overclocked to 422 core/1180memory).

Good way to go my friend. You won't be dissapointed, especially when newer games come out and run like crap on a card with less than 12 pipelines. :wink:

If you need help with overclocking it (if you OC it at all), let me know and I can give you all the info you need.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

Actually I have a widescreen projector with a native resolution of 1280x720 so it wasn't a typo. :wink:

Many games don't support that resolution in their options but for most you can find a work around. The only game I have that I can't get to run at that rez is Myst IV: Revelations. Crashes on launch when I edit the .con files. I finished it awhile ago though so I'm not worried about it anymore.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Shrapnel wrote:Since I've never owned a top of the line video card before, I've finnally landed my career job and the info in Psycho's and Winter's posts, I've decided to spoil myself. Just ordered the MSI 6800GT and another 512mb of OCZ DDR400 to add to my existing 1GB. Should arrive from Newegg on Monday, just in time to get the bugs worked out before BF2 is released. :twisted:

If I can't run maxed out at 1280x720 I'm gonna be disappointed. 8)
You will never look back mate. This I pinky swear!!! :D

Winter
ImageImage