RAM [RESOLVED]

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

RAM [RESOLVED]

Post by Guest »

Can someone please explain to me how buying RAM works. What does it have to match up with? CPU speed? Motherboard? Can you have two different RAM cards and still be functional?

Thanks.
BinaryRhyme

Post by BinaryRhyme »

You have to match your RAM bus speed (theoretically) with the RAM you buy. The RAM bus speed should be described in the docs for your Motherboard.

Practically, you can often put slower or faster RAM in. Faster RAM will function at the slower speed of your RAM bus, if it works at all - but no guarantees it will.

Slower RAM will result in slowdowns when you access that RAM, and I don't recommend going there - and I have my doubts about it working.
MizCleo

Post by MizCleo »

Also, I could be wrong, but I do believe that most Intel sets require each RAM module to be equal in size.
BFE #1 | BFE #2 | WGO #1 | GC #1 | GC # 2 | GC # 3 | GC # 4
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Basically you need to know what type of ram (SD or DDR, more then likely DDR) then you need to find out the speed of your current ram (ie PC3200, PC3500 etc) then you need to know how many slots your motherboard has for ram, how many are left open, and the maximum amount of ram that your motherboard supports. Basically the speeds and types have to be the same, you cant mix ddr with sd or pc3200 with pc3500.

Post by Guest »

How do I access my motherboard docs?

Thanks guys.
BinaryRhyme

Post by BinaryRhyme »

Ahh, the eternal question. There are three answers.
  • Open the ignored bit of paper you were given when the computer was sold to you...
  • Look up your Motherboard name on the Internet support site provided by your vendor, look up the model number and download the manual. (Must take computer appart or check Control Panel / System / Device Manager to find out what kind of Motherboard you have.
  • You can't. Take it to an poor yet clever computer service guy to have him figure it out.
MizCleo

Post by MizCleo »

Or you can smash it open and find the hidden treasure.
BFE #1 | BFE #2 | WGO #1 | GC #1 | GC # 2 | GC # 3 | GC # 4
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Moved to Technical Support Forum
Leroy

Post by Leroy »

use cpuz program ~260 kb
it will tell u all u need to know :)
Losin' all your highs and lows, Ain't it funny how the feelin' goes away?
Windrider687

Post by Windrider687 »

Usually the RAM chips in your computer have the information you need...and if you get the fancy RAM that has all the lights and stuff then you'll have seizures and it will also tell you the specs and stuff usually.
You'd better hope you're faster than the wind...for I am what drives the bullet into your skull unaware.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

The bios number will usually be displayed on bootup as well. That is a very easy way to find any motherboard that they made more than one of online.

Look for a part number or manufacturers name on sticker on MB itself, usually on the side of the last ISA slot in the row or stuck to bottom.

Going into setup itself on bootup is another way to find essential data, sometimes it holds all the data you need for something like adding to your memory.

The chipset manufacturer and series number is another way to track down who made the board.

If it's intel chipset, you can download a small applicaion from intel site that will execute from windows and tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your chipset, bios, memory requirements, latency, ect., ect,. ect.

I have the dubios distinction of being the only guy in my extended family who puts his own systems together and I learned on old junkers first. You learn a lot about researching your hardware on the net when you are dealing with stuff somebody was holdinng the corner of their porch up with.

PM me Xrcist if you need more help or if it starts ticking ya off. We can get together on teamspeak or something.

Luck!...............................Winter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sushi wrote:Moved to Technical Support Forum
Send us your new address and phone when you get settled in, Sushi! :P
ImageImage

Post by Guest »

thanks guys. I used sandra and poof all the info i needed appeared.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Therefore [resolved] I suppose.
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

Sushi,

You mean to tell me that you have your BF2 installed and ready to run and you are hanging around with us, you get hit by a truck or what? I mean it's great to have the help around here, but you must be the only guy with the discipline of a BF42 bot.

Wow....................................Winter 8O
ImageImage
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Actually I am typing this from my computer at work during the brakes I have. :wink:

And just for the record: never refer to the Misses as "a Truck" or prepare to face the consequences.