map mode(resolved)

For when things break.

Moderator: Executive

kev

map mode(resolved)

Post by kev »

We want to run our server in 16 player mode but with 32 players, how does gc make the map 32 size with 64

thanks
DI=Wolf
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

He's wondering how, even when we have a server running with 64 players on it, we still use maps designed for 32 players.
Kampion

Post by Kampion »

Aren't there just 3 different map choices for each map... one thats 16... one thats 32 and one thats 64???

I mean the maps don't dynamically scale... do they?
Winter_Lion

Post by Winter_Lion »

You got it Kampion. But the pre release hoopla made it sound like the maps were like that refex armour the soviets use on their tanks. Folds down and rolls up when members come and go from the server.

Thats how I was thinking until I opened my game up and took a look at the info files for maps and weapons. True confession time, here.

The way the made this game so moddable is amazing. Anyone with a free graphics viewer can open up bf2, pull the pics of weapons and replace with pics of thier own skins. Even the maps are one step from .jpg instead of those tool hungry ones in bf42.

bottom line, the map is chosen by the server or server admin and not by conditions as they change. So, you can play 64 player version with one guy on each side if you have the druthers.
He's wondering how, even when we have a server running with 64 players on it, we still use maps designed for 32 players

The real question is not how, but why. Tell him, DG and he will have some intel he can use. Right?

Winter
ImageImage
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

The real question is not how, but why. Tell him, DG and he will have some intel he can use. Right?
Ahh, of course master, how foolish of me, young grasshopper needs not to know how the wind does blow the weeds, but why it does, in fact, affect the price of tea in China, well then, sit my friend, and I shall weave you a tale of greatness beyond your wildest dreams, a tale of far away lands, of powerful warlords, and their vast armies, for it is only then that you will realize what true power lies within yourself.

I'm not sure what Winterlion has been smoking, I think I know what Kev is asking, but Im not sure if I'm right now or not, I know we are using the 32 player maps to lower the size and amount of flags on the maps, making for less walking and fewer middle of no where areas to get lost in and to allow more conflict and large scale battles. How, I do not know, but as Winter instructed, I told you what reasons I feel we do not use 64 player maps, now, I must resume my studying of the holy books, may the great god Prima smile upon you!
kev

Post by kev »

resolved guys, I wanted to do it for a clan match, same reason, to reduce amount of flags thus making it more of a battle for the 4 flags, found a thread on bf2 on how to do it

thanks
DaGrooved1

Post by DaGrooved1 »

Glad it works, hope my mythical magic helped you learn, young grasshopper.