GC server pub rules

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

GC server pub rules

Post by WoodenPlank »

Now that we are starting to get more traffic on the ranked servers, I figured we needed to revise the rules. We already have a spambot plugin that can advertise the rules in-server for us, so that part is taken care of.
My suggestion:

1) Play in squads. Players not in a squad are team balanced first.
2) Do not TK for vehicles.
3) Air is not allowed to camp air.
4) No Jet/helicopter kamikaze/ramming.
5) If you're not sure if something's against the rules, don't do it.

Simple, to the point, and covers the basics of GC campaign rules.

Any comments? If there are no major complaints to these, I'll get them updated on the servers by Tuesday.
Hoo hoo, Robin, I invented black-hawk whoring!
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: GC server pub rules

Post by Ash2Dust »

See nothing there promoting GC or getting on TS.

Not big on babysitting rules which means an admin only enforces them when it affects him or happens to see it.

Issuing /!say commands defeats the purpose of issuing a !say command. No one can see the / commands, cant see a practical reason for using them.
Especially then issuing multiple hidden kill commands. Leaves the pubbies wondering why they keep dying without any message as to why or how they were killed other than they are no longer alive.

Should really attach a reason to disciplinary commands and not make them hidden.
ie !kill leetpubbie stop camping me
leetpubbie would then see why you admin killed him.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Ash2Dust wrote:See nothing there promoting GC or getting on TS.

Not big on babysitting rules which means an admin only enforces them when it affects him or happens to see it.

Issuing /!say commands defeats the purpose of issuing a !say command. No one can see the / commands, cant see a practical reason for using them.
Especially then issuing multiple hidden kill commands. Leaves the pubbies wondering why they keep dying without any message as to why or how they were killed other than they are no longer alive.

Should really attach a reason to disciplinary commands and not make them hidden.
ie !kill leetpubbie stop camping me
leetpubbie would then see why you admin killed him.
The rules I listed are in addition to the existing TS and website spam messages.

The / on an in-game command just hides the squad/team/all chat message used to send it. The actual broadcast message still shows for all players. When several such messages have been sent, and people keep doing it, then you have to assume they have seen it and ignored it.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling that (until we have a steady player base keeping the servers full) the no air camping rule isn't going to be easy to deal with. There's just not enough people on most of the time to keep air honest.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Personally it turns me off if I see rules displaying all the time, kinda like adds on TV. If somebody repeatedly does something that is affecting others and is not within the fair play rules then warn him with a command.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

.Sup wrote:Personally it turns me off if I see rules displaying all the time, kinda like adds on TV. If somebody repeatedly does something that is affecting others and is not within the fair play rules then warn him with a command.
That's basically what happened tonight. We had a chopper crew just wrecking on Sharqi (not a surprise), and it was causing a large number of players on the other team to drop. I think we lost about 10 players in under 10 minutes. When you're trying to build a user base on a server, that's a Very Bad Thing, IMO.

Your mention of hating to see rules is why I wanted to keep any messages short and to the point. No drawn out or complicated rules, just simple. No base rape, no ramming, play nice.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

rulset displays make me want to leave a server immediately, unless we can set the frequency they are displayed I would suggest not to have them.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Currently 5 spam message set with 4 minute interval. 20 minutes to cycle thru all 5. Could push it up to 5 or 6 minute intervals for a 25 or 30 minute cycle.

We have rules on the pubbie server?

Will have to check on the /!say command from a pubbie perspective. Still need to attach a reason to any kill or kick message so they can learn from it and adjust.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

From my BF2 server admin experience players liked best if the admin who was on at the time was communicating with them directly with in-game chat. Take some time off gaming during round and ask players what map they want to play, other desires or anything else they would want to see changed added and that gives a special relationship between players and admin and next time you come on the server you will be greeted with respect. Even those who didn't behave a few days/rounds ago respect honest and stand-up admins and they might start behaving without any warnings. Join the squad of those who are playing dirty, ask them to come to TS and play together as a team and at the end of the round you might become good "game friend's".
That's what it takes to populate server, to communicate with players and be nice and guaranteed they will come back for more as GC is a nice community and in a virtual gaming world full of immature people that's a hard thing to come by.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Ash2Dust wrote:Currently 5 spam message set with 4 minute interval. 20 minutes to cycle thru all 5. Could push it up to 5 or 6 minute intervals for a 25 or 30 minute cycle.

Will have to check on the /!say command from a pubbie perspective. Still need to attach a reason to any kill or kick message so they can learn from it and adjust.
Yeah, we need to double check on that. Since there isn't a functional "yell" command in BF3 at the moment, it could just be something people don't notice.

I pretty much agree with .sup on his points. Active, sociable admins seem to go a long way in building trust from players, as well as keeping them happy. Happy pubbies come back to play on our servers time and again.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Ash2Dust wrote:Currently 5 spam message set with 4 minute interval. 20 minutes to cycle thru all 5. Could push it up to 5 or 6 minute intervals for a 25 or 30 minute cycle.

! means everyone sees it. If you want to hide it from a pubbie you use # (only you see it) or @ (only admins see it). Plank is correct in what he said. As are you in that we need to add the message.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

styphon wrote:

! means everyone sees it. If you want to hide it from a pubbie you use # (only you see it) or @ (only admins see it). Plank is correct in what he said. As are you in that we need to add the message.
It's the other way around - # for admins, @ for you only.
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Yah, maybe. All plugins needs to be tested as the !,@,# symnols are not hardcoded. They are voluntary coding perspective.

Tangent:
Since appling mapvote to the servers, been seeing alot of votes for Oman......
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Ash2Dust wrote:Yah, maybe. All plugins needs to be tested as the !,@,# symnols are not hardcoded. They are voluntary coding perspective.

Tangent:
Since appling mapvote to the servers, been seeing alot of votes for Oman......
Yeah, I noticed that earlier. It was surprising, to say the least.

I assume the extra maps were added to rotation to provide extra voting options?

Something else I think we need to look at is a potential ping limitation. Had 3 players from Mexico on earlier, all with a 500 ping. If you were on foot, they were almost impossible to kill, since hits never registered on them. They seemed to appear and disappear a lot, since the server wasn't getting enough location data on them. It definitely gave them an advantage in some strange way. About the only way I could get hits on them was using armor.

Edit to add: Since we aren't really getting much feedback in this thread, maybe we should clean it up, and move the relevant admin-centric posts to the admin forum?
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

WoodenPlank wrote: Edit to add: Since we aren't really getting much feedback in this thread, maybe we should clean it up, and move the relevant admin-centric posts to the admin forum?
You can make a new one there. I'd like to see some feedback and suggestions from other members who don't have access there.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

.Sup wrote:
WoodenPlank wrote: Edit to add: Since we aren't really getting much feedback in this thread, maybe we should clean it up, and move the relevant admin-centric posts to the admin forum?
You can make a new one there. I'd like to see some feedback and suggestions from other members who don't have access there.
There's already a thread in there. Just seems like there's not much feedback from non-admins in this thread is all.