TeamSync on GC servers?

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

bogie

Re: TeamSync on GC servers?

Post by bogie »

no I do not develop for ts(if i want someone to strangle my balls i will call a hooker). also the TS api does not allow this
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

bogie wrote:no I do not develop for ts(if i want someone to strangle my balls i will call a hooker). also the TS api does not allow this
Hehe, is it really that bad? Mumble is not something we've seriously looked in to as a community. We've used TeamSpeak for 10 years and it's worked well for us. That's not to say if there was enough reason to change we wouldn't.
Arcturus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Arcturus »

One other advantage Mumble has is that their servers are cheaper. Multiplayservers even offers a 50% off on the entire contract right now, making it about €10 per month for a 200 slot server.
BF3 C2 - Lt. | BF3 C3 - Maj. | BF3 C4 - Field Marshall | BF3 C5 - Tournament Administrator
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

1) mumble is open source and is free for use (you do need to host it somewhere though)
2) its being developed all the time, a new version comes out every several months.
dont worry, the mumble has auto-update, and is backwards compitable, that means you dont need to go the site to check for updates, you will be prompt to update automaticlly, and even if you don't want to, you will be able to continue using it, even with an updated server.
3) the developers are active and listen to the community, coding new features as requested.
4) audio quality ,to me, seems to be better on mumble (always using latest speex codec).
5) support open source!!!
* has positional audio plugin, with active developer that even registered and posted in this thread.

how many more reasons do you need to try it out?
-“Regret your helplessness…and feel despair.”
Achievement Unlocked: Battlefield 4 Uninstalled!!
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

1) Everybody here has Teamspeak installed
2) It works.

Fin.
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Chefcook wrote:1) Everybody here has Teamspeak installed
2) It works.

Fin.
lol coach with wooden wheels was drive-able too ya know :D
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

and soooooo comfy! :oops:
ImageImage
Lets Cook and Roll!
RazY70
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by RazY70 »

bogie wrote: Anyways, I would like to get your input on how to continue with our project. Mainly what kind of squad talking is prefered. Look at what I proposed here. We recently pushed a lot of web frontend modifications I think I will start my presentation server tomorrow again.
If you recall I asked you about sort of a Commander mode option using the available information, and you mentioned a web frontend might be feasible. I think that even the basic format (i.e. just displaying squads locations) could workout very well

This is just a crude concept image, but can you guys imagine FC'ing with something like this if it were possible? I believe there is a lot of potential other possibilities which can be explored.
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

as I already said, I'd be willing to give it a try, especially now that the developer himself has answered our questions. I'd love for us to test it out and give it a spin at GC as positional audio would make our gameplay even more immersive and even funnier (shouting at another squad passing by is always a funny occasion). I guess the execs have the say in this one as it goes deep into the mechanics of the tournament (server stuff). Soon one of them should hopefully post their decision here.
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
bogie

Post by bogie »

We have been updating the web frontend a lot basically we need people to test and post suggestions. obviously the commander mode will be a feature for later versions. We will release version 0.5 soon.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Nothing wrong with testing something, but chef does have a point, TS is working fine for us.

And there is this good old saying: never change a running system :wink:
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

there is nothing good about that saying, as .sup wrote, with that saying we would still be driving a coach.
calculating with beads, and shitting into a hole.

haha, imagine how our life would look like if when they planned to build an electric net all over the city, someone like you would pop up and say "we have candles right? don't fix it if it ain't broken". and the only place an electirc circuit would now exist is in the university or museum.

trial and error, and taking big risks on the side of developers and funders is what got us where we are now.
Arcturus
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Arcturus »

Necromancer, one does have to take into account that moving a large-scale community to another client is quite some work. Setup, testing and moving is all needed to do something like this. You have to be sure all that work is actually effort the new features.
BF3 C2 - Lt. | BF3 C3 - Maj. | BF3 C4 - Field Marshall | BF3 C5 - Tournament Administrator
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Arcturus wrote:Necromancer, one does have to take into account that moving a large-scale community to another client is quite some work. Setup, testing and moving is all needed to do something like this. You have to be sure all that work is actually effort the new features.
That's why it needs to be tested first, in the background with volunteers while pubbing. Setting everything up shouldn't be too difficult, knowledgeable people might offer us some help to get us started but if there is a chance for us to advance and improve our experience then is see no reason no to try it. There is nothing to loose.
There is no difference between buying a new Logitech G series keyboard and this mod/plugin when you want to improve your overall experience. Well there is...this one is free.
I am a lazy guy so I don't involve myself much in topic discussions but I haven't seen a good reason not to give it a chance.
Necromancer
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Necromancer »

i used mumble before, and IMO its more powerful then TS/vent. it is, however, a bit more complicated on the admin/setup side (well, the more simple it is, the less things you can do)

since the plugin is client side, we can download mumble + plugin, and join one of the hundereds empty mumble servers out there. there are also servers that allow you to create your own channel + sub-channels and have full admin writes in those channels, so you can setup the full GC tree for testing/practice/BO/battleday.

except for setting it up, which is the consern of the TA's, the players aren't required to do anything except downloading mumble and join the IP. (SL+ will have to set their commander channel buttons again, and it doesn't work the same way as in TS)

look at the thing you gain:
lower maintanence costs
probably better quality (IMO), plus lower latency.
positional audio
and a lot more possibilities to "whisper" to channels, groups, users, etc...

i'd say just the lower cost with the same benifits of TS would be worth it.