BC2 Server Information

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

madcow
Executive
Executive

BC2 Server Information

Post by madcow »

GC's BC2 server is up and running. The server is located in New York and currently running Rush maps in rotation.

You can search for it using the server browser and add it to your favourites. The server name is as follows:

Global-Conflict.org NA Server

So hop on and help keep it populated!
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Re: BC2 Server Information

Post by BRUMMIE »

Maybe worth a try - based on forum feedback it has some validity.

Hi everyone!

After reading through several forums and experimenting on my own, i have come up with a method that will trigger the "player rush" to fill up your BC2 servers quickly. I've used it 4-5 times to successfully fill my server up whenever i am in the game. It only failed during the easter weekend when the "PLAY NOW" button stopped working for awhile.

Pre-requisites for this method:
- non-hardcore setting
- PB is turned on in the server but flagged off thru' an rcon tool. You can also turn the PB flag off by adding this line to your pbsv.cfg file:
pb_sv_task 30 -1 vars.punkBuster false

My method in steps:
1. I asked a friend to create a new soldier and i stayed in the server with my normal player character.
2. My friend joins the server with his new soldier and once he's in, i exit out of the server.
3. The moment i exit out of the server, a rush of players comes in. I know because straight out of the server, i opened the "history" tab in the game and saw already 20/32 players in the server.
4. My friend then exit the server straightaway and rejoins with his regular soldier character. This is to preserve his new soldier as squeaky clean 0 frags 0 kills. He can then re-use this squeaky clean new soldier again to populate the server on another occasion.

This method taps on the "PLAY NOW" button to bring in a rush of players. Somehow, the "PLAY NOW" button seems to favor a new soldier in the server. Over time, if your new soldier levels or starts chalking up points, his effectiveness of triggering the "player rush" from the "PLAY NOW" routine dwindles so it is very useful to try and keep your new soldier with 0 stats. Take note that you are only allowed to create up to 5 new soldiers in the game and there is currently no way for you to delete them off ingame.

Hope this helps! :)
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

I know the top half works. Not tried the bottom half. Make sure you have that pb_sv_task in the pbsv.cfg or the server will be dead. I'd also recommend GC sign up to PBBans.com and stream.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

What does it mean if PB is flagged off?
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

When you search for a server, that check box for PB actually searches for servers with PB off. So if your server reports PB as being on it won't come up on those search results. That's why you need to have your server reporting PB off. That command sends a message to EA master server telling them that PB is off on this server, when in fact it is really on.

Also, the play now button will only join PB off servers for some stupid reason.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Thanks for clarification Styph but it makes me wonder what kind of people are searching for servers with PB off...
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

.Sup wrote:Thanks for clarification Styph but it makes me wonder what kind of people are searching for servers with PB off...
They don't know that. It should be searching for servers with PB on. It's another well programmed DICE server browser interface </sarcasm>.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Styph it looks like if you quote me and copy the quote and paste it in a different post the codes are messed up. You must quote me and reply in the same post.

Btw madcow, will there be no EU server? :? Seeing as 90% of people who will play this campaign come from Europe it would be sensible to run BC on an Euro server (as well).
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

No, it's because this is an announcement. BB code is turned off. Also, editing your post is turned off for some weird reason so I can't go back and remove the quote.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

styphon wrote:No, it's because this is an announcement. BB code is turned off. Also, editing your post is turned off for some weird reason so I can't go back and remove the quote.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

You're in the senate, you can. I am but a lowly commoner who cannot.
PinkAss

Post by PinkAss »

Why US server?
Not fun playing on 140 ping, sry.
matsif
Executive
Executive

Post by matsif »

I'm going to have to agree with the euro guys complaining about the server here, sorry NA folk. but most of the community is from europe and we should cater to that. I realize you had your reasons for choosing an NA server, and that it probably won't change for this campaign, but I think a UK server would probably have been best.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Luckily the company they've signed up with also host in the UK. If it is a big problem it might be possible to change the server location in the future. Although in my experience with BC2 ping isn't as big an issue as it was with BF2.
LCourage
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by LCourage »

Are we going hardcore or softcore for battles?

Nothing like putting 10 rounds into someone before they perish...