BF3

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Re: BF3

Post by styphon »

Thur wrote:Ranked servers can be passworded. Right?

It is NOT a non-issue. We give up a big part of the draw of BF3 by not having a ranked server with stats. What is Baseball? It is stats and one of the most successful games on the planet. Without stats that game would be as popular as lawn darts. (which is awesome BTW)

We may or we may not be able to use them. If we can, I say we try to use ranked servers for Battledays.

IMO I do not think it will be possible, given the server control issues that are involved. I would hope the community would not be against it if I am wrong in that assumption. Let the community speak.
No, you cannot password a ranked server. They must be open to the public.

We draw the public by having a ranked server during the week that we all play on and let people know about the website, and by spreading the word on other servers. During battle days we switch the server to unranked and lock it down. That's how it was done for BF2 whilst I was here and it was a pretty successful way of doing things. Why change what's not broken?
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

You have never been able to password a ranked server; in fact I can't think of any game which allows that.

I don't understand why this question crops up so often. Since stats were introduced to the Battlefield series we've always run with an unranked server for battledays and I honestly can't think of a single reason which is good enough to stop us carrying on that practice.
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

No locked ranked servers? Bummer!

I think members will always follow orders. In my experience it is the continuity of command that is most important. If a trooper is hearing the same voice and getting smart orders he will respond. When was the last time you played a team battle? Using the BF series? It is a privilege to lead a squad of men @ =GC=. It is gaming but at another level. 32vs32 will test your skill, your mind and your instincts.
We need at a minimum 128 active players to run a campaign. Overall membership will need to be twice that. We need a 'hook' . Any other suggestions?

=GC=Thur
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Thur wrote:Ranked servers can be passworded. Right?

It is NOT a non-issue. We give up a big part of the draw of BF3 by not having a ranked server with stats. What is Baseball? It is stats and one of the most successful games on the planet. Without stats that game would be as popular as lawn darts. (which is awesome BTW)

We may or we may not be able to use them. If we can, I say we try to use ranked servers for Battledays.

IMO I do not think it will be possible, given the server control issues that are involved. I would hope the community would not be against it if I am wrong in that assumption. Let the community speak.
I get the feeling you won't be able to PW ranked servers. I see the biggest issue with using ranked for battle days being the unlock system, and the likelihood of not being able to PW it for battles.

I think we need to use the same formula as we did for BF2 - Run the server as unranked (and passworded) for battle times, and leave it set up for ranked and public the rest of the time. Get GC players to play during ranked time to promote the campaign as well as monitor for padding/hacking/exploiting/etc.

I would love to see us having the capability of running a ranked server 24/7 and have a separate unranked server for battles, practice, testing, etc. I seem to remember we had that same setup at once point during the earlier BF2 camps.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

Which is what we might be able to do anyway if we go for an EURO and an US-server.
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

Agreed. Unranked on Battledays and ranked thru the week.

Still leaves the question. what is it about GC that brings in members? What is our hook?
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Thur wrote:Agreed. Unranked on Battledays and ranked thru the week.

Still leaves the question. what is it about GC that brings in members? What is our hook?
Same as it always has been - where else can you get truly organized, 32v32 battles where you not only get to know your team, but get to face off against the same team every week. To me, GC really is THE way to play Battlefield.

Keeping regular GC players - especially veterans and officers - playing on the GC ranked servers during the week will help a lot with recruiting. If you see a good team-player in your squad or on your team, tell them about GC. If there's a way to have regular notification messages, use those to advertise GC> Same with server MOTD.

I the end, though, our players will be our best advertisements by playing in the ranked server. They will be setting the example, and encouraging people to join.
Last edited by WoodenPlank on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Thur wrote:Agreed. Unranked on Battledays and ranked thru the week.

Well, what brought me at GC was the promise of organized teamplay for BF2 battles. I don't think I'm mistaken by saying that most people here came because of that? We should always keep that as our priority... That's our hook no?
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

Organized 32vs32 BF combat.

That is our creed. A great hook if we have the 'Organized' part down.
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur
Chefcook

Post by Chefcook »

Just a quick reminder:

Only Conquest Maps are 64 Player maps.
I am not sure about the max player of other gamemodes.
(Dice said something about gamemodes: Conquest, Conquest 64, Rush, Team Deathmatch,...)
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Thur wrote:Organized 32vs32 BF combat.

That is our creed. A great hook if we have the 'Organized' part down.
If you need more to help organise it in time haul me in.

GC's USP has always been the organised large scale battles. It's been successful in the past at getting the word out. All we need to do is have people put on the =GC= tags in BF3 and head into servers in groups.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Chefcook wrote:Just a quick reminder:

Only Conquest Maps are 64 Player maps.
I am not sure about the max player of other gamemodes.
(Dice said something about gamemodes: Conquest, Conquest 64, Rush, Team Deathmatch,...)
Although nothings been decided yet I assumed it would only be Conquest 64 on battledays. Other modes could be good for the midweek battles, which historically always had number issues (when I played anyway).
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

styphon wrote:Although nothings been decided yet I assumed it would only be Conquest 64 on battledays. Other modes could be good for the midweek battles, which historically always had number issues (when I played anyway).
Even midweek battles should attract a lot of people on the first year at least ;)
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

StarLord wrote:
styphon wrote:Although nothings been decided yet I assumed it would only be Conquest 64 on battledays. Other modes could be good for the midweek battles, which historically always had number issues (when I played anyway).
Even midweek battles should attract a lot of people on the first year at least ;)

They did the first year of BF2, then started to dwindle. I remember plenty of 50+ player battles on 16p Gulf, Karkand and even Sharqi.
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

Indeed! Even some Strike at Karkand 16p with 32 on each sides!