BF3

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

WoodenPlank

Re: BF3

Post by WoodenPlank »

.Sup wrote:
Or you can use the 25% off coupon trick on Origin: create a new Origin account, set your birth date to two days in the future. Two days later, you get a 25% off coupon and you can use it with your real Origin account to get BF3 for $45
Good thing my birthday is the week before BF3 comes out...
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

New info revealed via twitter http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fu ... ?id=165383

Ammo crates replenish explosives, albeit slower than ammo, no one-shot body hits for snipers in regular, Stingers can be fired from "passenger seat" (unsure if this means for all ground vehicles, or from places like the back of transport helicopters), no BC2 style shotgun sniping, respawn beacon goes away when (presumably the person who placed it) respawns on it (to prevent a loop when being camped), transport pilot does get points from gunner kills, "snap" sound from supersonic bullets flying near you, frags do very little environmental damage, aaaaand...

health regen is a server-side setting and can be turned off/on. :mrgreen:

Edit to add: Looks like the in-game voice chat will be pretty in-depth. Maybe we won't need TeamSpeak? :wink:
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

It's still easier to log on Teamspeak than joinning the BF3 server to speak to each other. And maintaining a TS server isn't that much trouble I think?

I like the option to switch off health regen, which we should turn off :P A transport chopper defending itself with stingers would be very funny, but I doubt this is doable in reality lol ;)
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

TS is the communication tool for GC combat. The in-game comms may prove to be better in the battles. How do you communicate when the server goes down or half your team drops because of a data bounce in the Canaries?? The TS server is independent of the game server. This is Global Conflict. That means we have gamers across 8 timezones. The best tool for Command and Control is TS.
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

If anyone has an idea for the first camp theme please speak up!

rebel vs dictator??
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

We could try with the theme of BF3 for the first camp? We could even try to keep the same uniform withing matches (US stays US, Russian stay Russian) I'm saying this because we used to switches sides. I know we switched sides for 2 reasons, first, to balance the map start location, and to balance weapons... Now, weapons might be more balanced and if we can control unlock and allow most of them it wont be a problem anymore. And if we are able to switch start location without switching armies that would be nice too!
Personally I get a better feeling when I don't switch uniform between rounds and keep shooting a the same guys for the whole campaign. It's better for immersion. I know this might not be doable due to balance issue but I think we should look into it?
BRUMMIE
Senator
Senator

Post by BRUMMIE »

Ditto Starlord. However,.......................................................................................fill in blanks. :)
I believe that its a given that if maps are balanced, load outs are balanced etc then this will be the route to go. We're all a little gun-shy on this one though because of previous releases of the franchise.

Maybe we can agree on the theme, arena, pre-story etc. I want to go with the theme and arena of the game as its released to start - my opinion. We have Beta to test balance before we can determine side switching though. Side switching should be a last resort but only if nothing else is available.

I guess I'm echoing what your saying.
StarLord

Post by StarLord »

BRUMMIE wrote:I guess I'm echoing what your saying.
Well it's always nice to know that there is people thinking like me :D
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

I agree. If we can do with out side switching, we should do it.
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur
Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

Unless its a perfectly symetrical map mirroring everything up to the center, there will always be an inbalance at some level. I would expect BF3 will have some major imbalances on some maps. They can be fun to play to try to overcome the odds, but can grow old quickly when its a campfest repeatedly.

Same is of the teams, the playskill of players are never symetrical from week to week.

Playing online, balance on a server can kill a pub server. No real way to address it other than rely on hardcore players that just want to play. Seen some servers randomize teams after a campfest round, but even that has its limitations and not desireable.

Not sure how to make both map and/or teams balance equal, but thats what a campaign of any length has to address to keep the numbers. Otherwise a cookie cutter campaign that when a side yields, the next campaign starts next week.

Throwing some random thought in.
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

I oppose side switching for this campaign. I believe that keeping everyone always on the same side in-game will help generate more of a 'feel' for the consistency of the story/theme/whathaveyou.
Hi!
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Goggles wrote:I oppose side switching for this campaign. I believe that keeping everyone always on the same side in-game will help generate more of a 'feel' for the consistency of the story/theme/whathaveyou.
I always preferred campaigns with no side switching. I just hope the maps allow for it.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

Goggles wrote:I oppose side switching for this campaign. I believe that keeping everyone always on the same side in-game will help generate more of a 'feel' for the consistency of the story/theme/whathaveyou.
I agree. In BF2 side switching was needed because you couldn't have all weapons if you played only on one side.
Thur
Executive
Executive

Post by Thur »

Thanks for the input everyone. Ash nailed it. There will be imbalances. I think for the first camp we can deal with it. Each side has it's strengths. I say lets see what happens without side switching for the first camp. At least the HC's will only have to plan for half a map.
@4|Obshtz.Thur.DAK
5A|HC|Gen|Thur
@6-Oblt.Thur/LW
7R|HC|Gen.Thur
1E|HC|SgXo.Thur
UN|=GC=Thur
S1*TRG.Thur
4P*SGT=GC=Thur
11H.=GC=Thur
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

cool with me, if we realise that a map is unplayable because of unbalance we could go for a "one time per campaign-joker". Something like: a map that has been played for at least 2? battledays can be contaminated by an army, making it a "no go area" for the rest of the campaign.