BF3

Discuss the campaign and all things BF.

Moderator: Executive

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Re: BF3

Post by Ash2Dust »

I just hope that the surface to air really is balanced in BF3.

Rules do suck. But getting camped by air superiority by a couple player kills numbers on the other side. Its unusual for a tank to cripple a whole team.
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Air is meant to be that powerful. It's also why it's so limited in numbers. But any air can be taken out by a concerted effort by ground pounders. However the best balance for air is opposition air.
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

styphon wrote:Air is meant to be that powerful. It's also why it's so limited in numbers. But any air can be taken out by a concerted effort by ground pounders. However the best balance for air is opposition air.
Even a fantastic pilot is going to have a hard time being effective when he has shoulder-fire AA lighting him up and launching missiles almost constantly, and little to no way to locate the shooter (unless they add smoke trails to AA). A couple engineers with launchers that stay on the move can really give air power a headache.
Book

Post by Book »

While I agree that limiting seat time for certain pilots is not the way to go, I really do believe that a superior pilot could rule a battlefield in BF2. The flight mechanics and physics of flight are SO skewed in favor of pilots (and I understand that they have to be for the aircraft to operate in the airspace above the battlefield) that surface to air capabilities should be overpowered to level the playing field. Even the surface to air materials that were in the PoE mod were enough to equalize the air threat. If it turns out that the air will have to focus on either air or ground then this will be a non issue. Waiting for the release and a few days of playing should better inform us of what (if anything) needs to be addressed.
Shrapnel
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Shrapnel »

In '42 we fixed this by modding the vehicle load outs so the pilot had to return to the airfield and reload after every bombing run (modded the ammo limit to match the number of bombs dropped on a single run). This limits the amount of carnage a pilot can rain down in a match as they end up spending most of their time flying back and forth to the airfield. It also makes them more vulnerable since they have to descend to near landing altitude to reload each time.

This worked well in the past and could work in the future but there is a problem with implementation. Namely that we need modding tools and people who know how to mod (or are commited to learning how).
WoodenPlank

Post by WoodenPlank »

Shrapnel wrote:In '42 we fixed this by modding the vehicle load outs so the pilot had to return to the airfield and reload after every bombing run (modded the ammo limit to match the number of bombs dropped on a single run). This limits the amount of carnage a pilot can rain down in a match as they end up spending most of their time flying back and forth to the airfield. It also makes them more vulnerable since they have to descend to near landing altitude to reload each time.

This worked well in the past and could work in the future but there is a problem with implementation. Namely that we need modding tools and people who know how to mod (or are commited to learning how).
That's how it worked by default in Battlefield 2, and I imagine it will be the same (or damn close) in 3. I just wish they'd change it so you could control how many bombs you drop in the jets. I hated the way bombs released in BF2 because it was a pain to get them to both hit in the same location, and you couldn't just drop a single bomb - it was drop both or drop all 5, depending on the aircraft.
gribble

Post by gribble »

Holy Crap

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fu ... ?id=165550

I hope the full Gadget Show episode will be available onlline to watch.
.Sup
Executive
Executive

Post by .Sup »

gribble wrote:Holy Crap

http://planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/fu ... ?id=165550

I hope the full Gadget Show episode will be available onlline to watch.
OMG. What do you do when you have to run faster? They guy plays BF3 like one is playing SWAT.
sushi
Executive
Executive

Post by sushi »

looks like you could end up having a lot of bruises playing an episode where you would lay down get up run lay down get up hide .... it would surely be cool to try it
Hitman47
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by Hitman47 »

I don't like the part where you get shot.... :lol:
BF2: C5 - Corporal | C6 - Corporal | C7 - Feldwebel (Sergeant) | C8 - Neutral Peace Keeper | C9 - Captain | C10 - Grand Moff (HC) | C11 - Macaca (Staff Sergeant) | C12 - Major | C13 - Corporal
BF3: C1 - Colonel | C2 - General | C3 - Neutral | C4 - Brigadier | C5 - Private | C6 - Brigadier General
BF4: C1 - Tournament Admin | C2 - General
madcow
Executive
Executive

Post by madcow »

sushi25 wrote:looks like you could end up having a lot of bruises playing an episode where you would lay down get up run lay down get up hide .... it would surely be cool to try it
Yeah, he should try dolphin diving. :P
Clicky to become a Voteable member.

“…so realistic, it'll have you picking shrapnel out of your backside.”
Goggles
Executive
Executive

Post by Goggles »

Hitman47 wrote:I don't like the part where you get shot.... :lol:
I think that's the biggest draw to me... it's like going paintballing, but in a virtual environment... cool!
Hi!
styphon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

Post by styphon »

Got that show booked in my calendar. Looking forward to watching it.
gribble

Post by gribble »

Ash2Dust
Executive
Executive

Post by Ash2Dust »

gribble wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY[/youtube]
WOW! WOW! and Holy crap!!!!

How good do I have to be to get one for Christmas?